Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 220d Wheel stud removal

Could anyone tell me how to remove a wheel stud on an IS 220 ? I went to change the wheel and the nut was really hard to turn, the next thing the stud started moving in which ever way i try to turn the nut. I really dont know where to start.

Thanks 

It might need drilling out if the head is turning but its not coming out.

Has someone been using a pneumatic air gun to tighten the nuts instead of a torque wrench?

Yes local tyre depot has been doing that. I sorted it out by splitting the nut with a grinder, lucky enough i had the temp spare wheel on.

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Yes local tyre depot has been doing that. I sorted it out by splitting the nut with a grinder, lucky enough i had the temp spare wheel on.

Ouch, you'll have to get them to use a torque wrench next time! Overtightening the nuts isn't great really!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

i add tiny amount of anti seize. no one will agree to do that but i think uk weather will seize  them without it

It does depend on who the tyre fitter is as well.

Some do use anti seize but they tend to be the ones who tighten with a pneumatic air gun (a generalisation of course)

Personally I havent had any trouble with nuts seizing when torqued to the right spec

5 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

i add tiny amount of anti seize. no one will agree to do that but i think uk weather will seize  them without it

Certainly doesn't hurt but shouldn't really be necessary if the nuts and studs are made of the same metal. More useful on the back of alloy wheels which press against steel hubs/brake discs.

• Like 1