Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220d smoke coming from engine compartment

Hello again two posts  within a few days is not a good sign.

After driving for about an hour i stopped at a shop, while sitting in the car with the car switched off i noticed a burning smell and some smoke in the passenger side.

Then i noticed smoke coming from under the bonnet, i hit the ignition button and the car  just about started so drove it to a less enclosed area (incase of a fire) i opened the bonnet and smoke seemed to be coming from the front left hand side, closed the bonnet and drove the car home a couple of miles away.

When i got home i turned the car off and it would not start again so then i disconnected the live Battery terminal and again the smoke seemed to be coming from the same place.

Is it the alternator the starter or something else? As i said before it is the  left side nearest the front when looking under the bonnet.

Thanks

Have you a turbo pipe leak or brake fluid leak. Does the air con work has the pump stopped working? Dont keep starting the vehicle without looking for the cause.

If smoke is present its not a good idea to keep driving is it. Whats the mielage turbo may have gone. Is it white smoke or blue??

I could not see any liquid leaks the smoke was white and had a burning plastic smell coming from it so thought it was electrical, seemed to be coming from the alternator or starter not sure which is which. Is it possible the starter has shorted out and drained the Battery as it is dead now. Mileage is 87k.