Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto rain sensitive wipers

Afternoon all.

How good do you find the rain sensitive wipers on the ISF?  I'm not sure mine has a fault, but no matter what sensitivity setting I set, it seems hit / miss if they are going to work.

If I get out the vehicle and rub my finger across the sensor (smudging rain water), the wiper works. However, dripping water droplets on the sensor doesn't make the wipers work. And most importantly light rain doesn't make the wipers work either :(

Anyone else have issues?

Many thanks!

my 430 has rain sensing wipers - its a 04 plate - ive had it over 3 years and they work perfectly - hardly do i have to manually touch the stalk - if lexus had it perfected in 2004 then they have to be perfect in 2009. I am sure someone will come along soon to give you an accurate comparison on how they work on your model

• Like 1

i have found  that the rain sensitive wipers technology has improved over the years, years back i found that even on its most sensitive setting it did not clear the windscreen frequently enough for me, but the latest car works perfectly. perhaps try give the windscreen a really good clean, even claying it,

• Like 1

Tried cleaning the windscreen - no difference.

Tried Rainex - no difference.

Seems to work OK on the motorway when it is raining properly, but that sort defeats the point.

Be interested to get some more opinions.

Thanks.

I would guess maybe windshield was replaced ? A lot of problems on IS250/220d after windshield replacement, so I believe IS-F no different here. Check for related topics.. 

8 hours ago, Flytvr said:

Tried cleaning the windscreen - no difference.

Tried Rainex - no difference.

Seems to work OK on the motorway when it is raining properly, but that sort defeats the point.

Be interested to get some more opinions.

Thanks.

Check the windscreen first of all if its been replaced. I had mine replaced on my 2004 RX and the auto wipers were never the same again.

Also, Ive found that every car seems a little different but generally mine is 3/4 towards full sensitivity and it works perfectly and thats on both the RX and the IS.

Rain sensing wipers dont usually work that well with mist btw.

18 hours ago, rayaans said:

Check the windscreen first of all if its been replaced. I had mine replaced on my 2004 RX and the auto wipers were never the same again.

Also, Ive found that every car seems a little different but generally mine is 3/4 towards full sensitivity and it works perfectly and thats on both the RX and the IS.

Rain sensing wipers dont usually work that well with mist btw.

Thanks.  

As I've had the car a few days, I've just booked it in for the dealer to look at. 

I've had auto wipers on VWs, BMWs and a Volvo. All of which worked very well.

Mine are the same. Always have been and has the original screen. I wonder if the gel pad looses it's consistency overy time hence may need to be replaced? Be interesting to see what your dealer says. I have my service boozed next month so will mention it then and see what they say as my car is still under warranty.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15 June 2016 at 8:10 PM, Arqum said:

Mine are the same. Always have been and has the original screen. I wonder if the gel pad looses it's consistency overy time hence may need to be replaced? Be interesting to see what your dealer says. I have my service boozed next month so will mention it then and see what they say as my car is still under warranty.

@Arqum you were bang on the money. They replace the gel pad and it's massively better :)

• Like 1

Just now, Arqum said:

Good! Mine goes in Friday. Where did you get the pad and how much? Easy to fit i assume?

No idea - dealer sorted it all out under warranty.

20 minutes ago, Arqum said:

Good! Mine goes in Friday. Where did you get the pad and how much? Easy to fit i assume?

I have cleaned my gel when I installed my dash cam and disturbed the sensor, rinsed it under cold water.

But you can buy new on eBay, don't know how good they are.

Its not something that breaks, its gel, just clean the windscreen and the gel, it helps being a bit surgical with the cleanup.

I hear what you are saying but the pad is sticky. Mine is stuck to my windscreen but not the sensor. I assume that's not correct. Also how can you clean the gel pad as it's very sticky 

It was stuck to the sensor, it's not that sticky that you can't handle it, wear clean rubber gloves and treat it with care.

The ones you buy on eBay have to be handled at some point to be installed.