Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX Sport S and Sport +

Quick question.

My NX 200t F sport has both sport s mode and sport +.  Does that also mean I have the AVS suspension?  I knew it had sport and then was playing with the mode dial and discovered the plus mode.  Though I haven't really noticed any difference yet. (I bought the car ex demo so I hadn't spec'd it out).

As I've said before I can't tell any difference between Sport or Sport+ mode. I'd be disappointed if I'd paid extra for it, not worth £750 IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taken from another forum.

1. AWD models do get the adjustable damping (stiffer in Sport S+ mode).
2. Sport S mode makes the throttle more sensitive, and changes the way the transmission shifts (shift a bit quicker and at a higher RPM).
3. Sport S+ mode stiffens the suspension as well as the steering feel. On RWD models I believe this is the mode that the steering ratio quickens but I'm not sure as i have the AWD IS350F.
4. Eco mode tones everything down for the sake of fuel economy. The throttle is much less sensitive (all the power is there but you have to move the throttle a lot more to get to it). The transmission also shift sooner in each gear to keep the engine revs low.

Does that help?

I did read somewhere one of the modes (not sure which one) made the ride softer, so much so that it is softer than the rest of the range, which to me seems odd to me as sport models are generally firmer. 

I think the idea is that normal with AVS is supposed to be softer than a normal F Sport 

And Sport + is supposed to be stiffer than a normal F sport. Not many people have noticed that though.

I do notice a difference in the throttle in the sport modes but I am driving UK suburban roads and on a side road one minute then an A road then a B road... you get the idea.

Because the surfaces of the roads do differ it is not easy to determine if the suspension is adjusting or its just the road.  Anyway, I enjoy the ride.

I do notice a difference in the throttle in the sport modes but I am driving UK suburban roads and on a side road one minute then an A road then a B road... you get the idea.

Because the surfaces of the roads do differ it is not easy to determine if the suspension is adjusting or its just the road.  Anyway, I enjoy the ride.

I agree the Sport mode makes a marked difference, whereas AVS not so. I've driven on the same road in Sport and then Sport+ and couldn't tell any difference. Maybe the test road wasn't bad enough for the Sport+ to make a difference, but if I'd optioned the AVS at £750 I'd be disappointed. YMMV of course.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Sounds like you haven't owned a Lexus with AVS DJP,  either that or you just don't push your cars hard enough. After 80k miles in my IS300 FSport I still feel a marked difference between Sport and Sport+. The steering and suspension are just so much more connected. Just trying out an Nx FSport and it definitely has a harsher ride than my IS in normal despite higher profile tyres so I can only presume that it is the AVS working its magic. If I go for the NX then AVS is a must. However 37mpg is not promising nor the sat nav is ludicrously expensive. At least you get memory seats thrown in in the IS! The importers are idiots. 

Does anyone know if you can fit 'gutter' type roof bars like the IS ones on an NX with a pano roof?

Simon

I obviously don't push hard enough as my NX has AVS. If you push on in the NX then don't expect 37mpg, I'm at 36 lifetime with 10.5k on the clock. I agree about the nav price and the memory seats,it's an irritation how the specs vary across the models.

I obviously don't push hard enough as my NX has AVS. If you push on in the NX then don't expect 37mpg, I'm at 36 lifetime with 10.5k on the clock. I agree about the nav price and the memory seats,it's an irritation how the specs vary across the models.

On 12/09/2016 at 10:36 PM, Lexus Si said:

Sounds like you haven't owned a Lexus with AVS DJP,  either that or you just don't push your cars hard enough. After 80k miles in my IS300 FSport I still feel a marked difference between Sport and Sport+. The steering and suspension are just so much more connected. Just trying out an Nx FSport and it definitely has a harsher ride than my IS in normal despite higher profile tyres so I can only presume that it is the AVS working its magic. If I go for the NX then AVS is a must. However 37mpg is not promising nor the sat nav is ludicrously expensive. At least you get memory seats thrown in in the IS! The importers are idiots. 

Does anyone know if you can fit 'gutter' type roof bars like the IS ones on an NX with a pano roof?

Simon

Im calling BS on that though - the IS 300H AVS makes barely any difference. The NX has a harsher ride than the IS anyway and thats simply because the suspension is stiffer to accommodate the higher centre of gravity.

37mpg is not bad - you won't be getting much more in a diesel SUV. The way I see it, if you can afford to put down £40k on a car, I can't see how £2k is going to make much difference really and the ones with premium nav seem to hold their value better.

37mpg on the NX??? Hybrid right? Am considering this as my wife's next SUV from the Qashqai which is a 1.5 diesel and averages 50 to 55 over the last 18 months of mixed driving (short 13 mile daily commute with school runs) is the NX worse than the IS300 hybrid?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, RichyRich said:

37mpg on the NX??? Hybrid right? Am considering this as my wife's next SUV from the Qashqai which is a 1.5 diesel and averages 50 to 55 over the last 18 months of mixed driving (short 13 mile daily commute with school runs) is the NX worse than the IS300 hybrid?

The NX weighs more than the IS and as an SUV is less aero dynamic so it shouldn't be a surprise that the mpg is worse than the IS. In my IS mpg varied between 38-42 depending on the season. In the NX it's been 32-36. Both F Sport variants and driving style not changed much, possibly a little slower in the NX.

Difficult to choose the NX over the Qashqai purely based on fuel economy but it does play a large part in the decision... [emoji16]

So after a Mon-Fri test drive (lease company) in an NX300h FSport 400 miles of motorway, A, B and smaller road I managed 36.9 mpg according to the trip computer (yes I know not as accurate as brim to brim but I'm not that anal). I was being very careful but making good progress, 75-80 on the mway and speed limit elsewhere. Lovely driving position, great headlights (unlike my FSport IS), and just a nice place to be. I did sit in a Luxury though and prefer the seats in that' although I've always had sports seats, maybe I'm getting old. 

Anyway back in my IS300h FSport today and averaging 43 mpg and not hanging around over similar routes. Hope this helps. 

I went into the Lexus dealer this week, where I looked at the luxury model, actually to confirm if a roof rack can be fitted with the panoramic roof. Comments on this forum say not and I tend to believe the forum over dealers. The dealer inevitably reckoned it was possible but is actually going to order some in and try them! 

Hope this helps. 

Rayaans, 

thanks for your constructive feedback. Can I ask if you, like me, have run an IS300h FSport with AVS for 80000 miles? You seem to have links to someone in Lexus which appears to make you knowledgeable to people but I am doubting your ability to actually drive.  Seems to me you are probably the old Lexus demographic that specs all the options and then potters down to the golf club. Anyhow by all means call BS but I thought the forum was for sharing positive comments. 

37mpg on the NX??? Hybrid right? Am considering this as my wife's next SUV from the Qashqai which is a 1.5 diesel and averages 50 to 55 over the last 18 months of mixed driving (short 13 mile daily commute with school runs) is the NX worse than the IS300 hybrid? Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Difficult to choose the NX over the Qashqai purely based on fuel economy but it does play a large part in the decision... [emoji16]

Nothing wrong with the Qashqai but the NX is a step up in quality IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lexus Si said:

Rayaans, 

thanks for your constructive feedback. Can I ask if you, like me, have run an IS300h FSport with AVS for 80000 miles? You seem to have links to someone in Lexus which appears to make you knowledgeable to people but I am doubting your ability to actually drive.  Seems to me you are probably the old Lexus demographic that specs all the options and then potters down to the golf club. Anyhow by all means call BS but I thought the forum was for sharing positive comments. 

Dont need to drive an IS300h with AVS for 80k miles. Its evident within 2k miles where I live whether AVS makes much of a difference or not. In my opinion, its too small to notice and probably worse in the fact that it gives a harsher ride in Sport+ mode without any serious handling capability. Living in Yorkshire, you get the cobbled roads, super smooth roads and the potholed roads and never once did I say "ooh, you know what, the AVS is making my butt feel rather comfy".

Same with the one on the NX, its not much different and certainly not worth the extra cost. I havent played around with the new RX enough yet.

Hmm old Lexus demographic huh? Maybe on the basis that Ive driven Lexus for over 200k miles + whatever mileages I put on loaners and test vehicles but considering I cant manage to get over 35mpg in the IS300h, you can be rest assured that I dont drive like a pussy. Ive driven plenty of cars with AVS to know that the one in the IS and NX don't work anywhere to the same level as those in BMW or Audi.

Sorry forgot you were from Yorkshire Rayaans. That explains a lot. 

RichyRich, just be. aware that my the mpg on my IS drop by 2-3 mpg in the winter, I expect the same from the Nx. It hit 26 deg c here last week. 

• 4 years later...

For the 2019 Model Year the AVS changed from 250 cycles/sec to 780.

I swopped my F-Sport IS & then drove my new NX with tyre pressures set for 3 figure speeds in D- Mode

My belief was the tyre pressures were set too low as the ride was cosseting compared to my previous F-Sports.

Equally, in Sport ++, my NX becomes my ISF on steroids.

AVS really works, & pre-Covid, my 90 mile sprint on the M42/M5 @ high speed yielded 38 mpg in Summer & 35mpg in Winter

Since ACP was installed I am fortunate to have the perfect NX which was built on the pm shift of Monday 28th Jan 2019.

Tel

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links