Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

300h dashcam hardwire

Hi Brian, I put this on the NX forum a short time ago, hope it helps. This subject is always coming up, along with tyres and infotainment.

Not on a NX, but I had a Blackvue 550gw-2ch fitted to my CT. The power was taken from the lower part of the 'A' frame, the 'smart power' was also hidden there.   In 2015 I changed to a IS300h, I removed the two cameras' from the CT and left the wiring in place. I ordered new wiring and 'smart power'.

The initial camera costs were £339.0 and it cost £170 to have fitted, the work was done outside my home in Hampshire.

With the IS the power was taken from behind the navigation screen, the 'smart power' is also hidden there. Power cable to the glove box, where I had an interrupter fitted, - not really needed, Power to the rear camera - as far as I can remember, was taken from the rear roof light, 'AV' cable runs along above the doors.

The cost of the cables and fittings for this were £113.0 and it cost £164.00 to have fitted as above. 

The total cost was a lot, I agree, but I did not know that I was going to change cars so soon. I choose the 'Blackvue' as it had good revues', and for me it's lived up to these, it has given me no trouble and is of good build and focal quality. I chose this route simply because I am not so capable/confident now, a £35k motor is a lot to foul up because of a silly error. Austin 7, Beetle, Cortina, Commer van, Subaru, take them to bits with no problems, or more often than not, 'bodge them up', but Lexus is a different kettle of fish, one foul up costs ££££££. s

Camera bought from 'TTW Partners,' Nottingham. (Tom.).   Fitting by 'Exec Spec,' Nottingham. (Steve.). I think the latter is one of the partners, the bloke that fitted them came from Brighton, I think and was prompt at 08.00. Service and work was top notch.

That's my story of woe, hope it helps.

Best wishes.

Michael.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. It has given me a good insight on what it could cost. I was hoping to hard wire it myself (I am a electrician), and  was thinking more around £120 to £150 for a camera,  so will need to do more research.

Cheers, Brian.

It depends what you are looking for, My son has a B40/A118c "wedge" which is probably the neatest /best looking available with great picture quality, but is front only, these are about £50 on eBay , I wanted "quality" and something that would last, so went for the blackvue DR650 with front and rear camera's this was £239 from eBay with a free power monitor, which switches off power if the voltage drops below 12v, so it will continue to monitor the car when parked(my car was recently keyed, so if it happens again, maybe I will record the scum)

Whilst the build quality and general feel of this is solid, I would not say it is as good picture quality wise as my sons cheaper unit.

Installation is relatively simple, the power feeds can be taken from the fuse box in the passenger footwell using piggy back feeds, or direct from the cigarette lighter if just using the plug, but then you would lose the parking mode.

The cables are simply tucked behind trim panels, the whole job shouldn't take more than an hour.

Tony, sorry to hear about the keying, I cannot for the life of me think why people do this, it is just mindless vandalism. Hope you got it fixed ok.

I see that you have the later model to mine, - camera, but you have the skill/energy and ability that I once had, but now in older age seem to have lost, so mainly have to rely on others.

Best wishes.

Michael. 

Lexus put a leaflet in with my car at the last service.  £299 fitted for a Road Angel front and rear camera?  I have a DrivePro already which isn't hardwired, but there is minimal cable on show (around the passenger visor) the rest is down the door frame and under the mats back to the 12v socket.

This one I think Road Angel Halo Dashcam

Might take them up for it when I swap the car next year, work provided my current one as a trial so should be able to sell it to them at the start of a new 3 year lease.