Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Test drive & purchase

Hi Folks,

I'll  be arranging an extended test drive soon on a NX300h with a view to a purchase.

I've already looked at some of the rivals, evoque too dodgy , GLC would mean having to deal with Mercedes dealers and so on.

I've read the mpg stories with great interest and it doesn't bother me greatly. However I do have a 24 mile commute into and from  work every day. My route is mostly winding country roads with some serious climbs up into the hills and obviously descents. I have an avensis tourer with cvt auto so I know how that auto works on the route.

Does anyone have experience of running an NX over a similar kind of route.? Honest John review says the car is not one for the A roads, is that true in your experience?

Thanks in advance

Edited by jb77ie
Wrong spelling

It sounds like the sort of journey that will suit a hybrid well. The poorest MPG is on very short trips or motorways, but on that distance and on 'A' and 'B' roads, up and down hills you should get a reasonable MPG. Obviously going up hills you will use more petrol, but coming down you will find it will much less, staying in EV mode longer. If your speed is also 30-50 mph I would not be surprised if you do 40-45 mpg. Let us know. 

Had mine for a few weeks now and mostly being used in light traffic on A roads and some dual carriageways. So far my indicated MPG has crept up to 39.6. Happy enough with that considering the size and weight.

You mention that the mpg doesn't bother you greatly so I guess it's more about the driving experience itself. If you are heavy with the right foot some consider the engine noise to be a little intrusive, and from the usual Lexus perspective of quietly wafting around that may be true. If you are driving in a stream of traffic at normal speeds then I don't think it would be a problem at all, even up hill and down dale.

I find the ride to be extremely comfortable and on the odd occasion I push on it's not a problem at all, a quick check of the speedo will normally result in a surprise at how fast I'm going.

The F Sport has a firmer ride than the others so try to make sure you are driving the derivative you are interested in, and I think the tyre size might vary too.

Look forward to hearing how you got on!

Thanks for the information , that's really interesting that A roads might actually suit the hybrid set up.

I'll be going for the sport model so will do the test drive in that. I'm presuming  if getting that version then the avs option is a must?

Either way I'll report back after the test drive.

12 minutes ago, jb77ie said:

Thanks for the information , that's really interesting that A roads might actually suit the hybrid set up.

I'll be going for the sport model so will do the test drive in that. I'm presuming  if getting that version then the avs option is a must?

Either way I'll report back after the test drive.

Most on here who have AVS (myself included) don't think it makes much if any tangible difference to the ride. That is of course very subjective. If you could find one with and one without to test that would be ideal, but there aren't that many about.