Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre size for upgrade

I'll be fitting new rubber very shortly and was going to fit the slightly larger rubber as others have done. However, I've gotten myself confused reading the forum specifically on the larger front tyre size. I've seen both 245/35/19 and also 255/35/19 mentioned. Doing a quick tyre size comparison it appears the 255/35/19 is the most likely candidate being almost an exact match for the standard tyre in circumference being only 0.4% difference where as the 245 is 1.1%. Now I know were not talking anything significant here but I need to be sure.

Second point of note I dont seem to be able to find the 245's in a 96 laod rating, only in a 93 or 97, again take a 97 no drama.

For the 255 I can find the correct 96 load rating and being very close the standard cars rolling diameter I'm swayed this way but I dont want to fit a tyre to large for the rim or that might scuff. So I throw myself infront of team LOC to lend their wisdom and take the advice.

So standard are: (F) 225/40/19 96Y (R) 255/35/19 96Y

Thanks ladies and Gents

The common upgrade mentioned on both here and Club Lexus is -

245/35/19 front
275/30/19 rear

Those are the sizes that I'm planning to switch to next month. Add in refurbing the wheels and my wallet will be considerably lighter! 

4 hours ago, DT_Racing said:

I'll be fitting new rubber very shortly and was going to fit the slightly larger rubber as others have done. However, I've gotten myself confused reading the forum specifically on the larger front tyre size. I've seen both 245/35/19 and also 255/35/19 mentioned. Doing a quick tyre size comparison it appears the 255/35/19 is the most likely candidate being almost an exact match for the standard tyre in circumference being only 0.4% difference where as the 245 is 1.1%. Now I know were not talking anything significant here but I need to be sure.

Second point of note I dont seem to be able to find the 245's in a 96 laod rating, only in a 93 or 97, again take a 97 no drama.

For the 255 I can find the correct 96 load rating and being very close the standard cars rolling diameter I'm swayed this way but I dont want to fit a tyre to large for the rim or that might scuff. So I throw myself infront of team LOC to lend their wisdom and take the advice.

So standard are: (F) 225/40/19 96Y (R) 255/35/19 96Y

Thanks ladies and Gents

Interesting...so if you utilised the 255/35/19 from rear, effectively these could be fitted to front, and then a fresh (larger) set could be utilised for rear.

Seems too easy.   :)

Also a 285/30/19 would be closer to stock for rear but unsure how it would fit.

A 255/35/19 on front would be a 1 inch wider tyre, than standard on rim. While a 285/30/19 would be a 1 inch wider tyre on rear rim.

Did the yanks not have larger rim widths on later models?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/790087-255-35-19-and-275-35-19-michelin-pss-tire-set-up.html

2 hours ago, GibletPH said:

The common upgrade mentioned on both here and Club Lexus is -

245/35/19 front
275/30/19 rear

Those are the sizes that I'm planning to switch to next month. Add in refurbing the wheels and my wallet will be considerably lighter! 

So Gib, are you going for 97 load rating or did you find some 96's? I was planning on the new Continental sport contact 6's.

34 minutes ago, aidanjaye said:

Interesting...so if you utilised the 255/35/19 from rear, effectively these could be fitted to front, and then a fresh (larger) set could be utilised for rear.

Seems too easy.   :)

Also a 285/30/19 would be closer to stock for rear but unsure how it would fit.

A 255/35/19 on front would be a 1 inch wider tyre, than standard on rim. While a 285/30/19 would be a 1 inch wider tyre on rear rim.

Did the yanks not have larger rim widths on later models?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/790087-255-35-19-and-275-35-19-michelin-pss-tire-set-up.html

So our counterparts in the states are using the 255's on the front with no issue it seems. They don't look out of place either. I think the rims (although different design) are the same sizes so should fit nicely on ours to. Hmmm, thinking thinking

Can I ask for those who have the 245's fitted which load rating they are using? I can only find them in 93's.

Edit: I really should check things first, standard fronts are 93 load rating...

Spot on Dave. :thumbup:

That's what I am running size/rating wise on my car.

Went for the MPSS. Don't think there is a better tire available at the moment to be honest.

Really pleased with how they cope in wet or dry conditions. Certainly better than the Vredstein's I had previously, although those were in OEM sizes, so not a fair comparison.

Best price I found was through black circle website.

Fronts (MPSS) were £185 each, rears were £197 each.

£764 for the set. Not bad I thought?

Be good to hear if anyone finds them cheaper elsewhere.

£696 fitted for the Conti sport 6's. Same as the MPSS cheapest was black circles. Other options was £618 posted to my door from camskill. It depends if I will have chance to take a trip to my local friendly F1 team and get them fitted which way I go. I might have to have them fitted local and then take them for purging at a later date, depends how long I can hold off on the new tyres.

I think they are pretty good in the wet.

I was on a corporate day last Thursday (23rd) over in Billericay. Weather was really bad with lots of standing water on the A127, M25, and A2/M2.

Car coped surprisingly well considering.

I do think they MPSS excels in dry conditions, but still holds it own in the wet as well. :smile:

5 hours ago, Peter P18 said:

Best price I found was through black circle website.

Fronts (MPSS) were £185 each, rears were £197 each.

£764 for the set. Not bad I thought?

Be good to hear if anyone finds them cheaper elsewhere.

I always find these to be the cheapest on line  http://www.camskill.co.uk/

• 1 month later...

Finally got there. After the trackday and the front inner edge wear and subsequent RR-Racing USRS fitment I treated her to her new rubber today

Continental Sport Contact 6's

(F) 245/35/19 93Y

(R) 275/30/19 96Y

£686.33 fitted (price matched to Black Circles at my local Kwik fit)

Comparison of original and the new upgrade size for info

Fronts:

IMG_6541.JPG

Rears:

IMG_6543.JPG

• Like 2

Cartainly the best mod so far Peter, the more I drive the happier I am about them, superb investment and really adds to the everyday driving experience. The very few miles I have on the new conti 6's have me enthusing also, it appears (on first impression) that they have a slightly stiffer sidewall so you do get an improved wheel feel on input further reducing the delay in reaction from the car. Getting very M3 now :-)

Once I gained the confidence on track to turn the TC fully off I found the car to be truely excellent, as wonderful as our TC system is on the road it kills the cars true character on track, It's a hoot! Massivley adjustable and communicative, initial understeer can be prompted and neutralised at will on the throttle, no nasty snap oversteer moments, it gives you plenty of warning its going to go and then when it does its beautifully progressive and controllable. I was a very surprised and happy man. Even the standard brakes can take a beating and not whine about it, if I were to take track days up more regularly I would invest in some upgraded pads but only so I wouldnt wear out my standard pads in a day.

Good stuff Dave. :cool:

Such an underrated car the IS-F. People seem to genuinely forget the car did more development on Fuji Speedway than it did on public roads! :wink3:

With minimal tweaks these can surprise a lot of people/cars.

Seems like changing up the pads is a common choice for those looking to do a few trackdays per year.

I have been enjoying the Hawk ceramic pads as they seem to dust less than OEM pads, and have lasted well with better initial bite.

TC off is very different, but highly enjoyable.

Such a wolf in sheep's clothing as many an exotic can testify after mistaking it for a lesser IS model with a kit on! Lol. :wallbash::biggrin:

Certainly is underestimated and thats one of the things I love about it. I would imaging most never get close to pushing these on and I have to admit I was one of them that had no clue of its true potential before Thursday last week. I had no plans to track the car treating it more as a luxury run about but turns out its also a hooligan :biggrin: 

Car certainly garnered a lot of attention from other participants, most assuming as you say it was a warmed up IS 2 or 3 litre. I even saw a flash of surprise on the noise testers face (who as we know pride themselves on being able to guess CC's and redline's) as I dropped in that it was 5L and then again as it only registered at 76db at 4500rpm, Made me smile...its the little things.

4 hours ago, DT_Racing said:

Finally got there. After the trackday and the front inner edge wear and subsequent RR-Racing USRS fitment I treated her to her new rubber today

Continental Sport Contact 6's

(F) 245/35/19 93Y

(R) 275/30/19 96Y

£686.33 fitted (price matched to Black Circles at my local Kwik fit)

Comparison of original and the new upgrade size for info

Fronts:

IMG_6541.JPG

Rears:

IMG_6543.JPG

Snap :-)

• Like 1

Decision made for me too .... Just need to pull the trigger on Camskill now.

One last question - my car is a 2009, presume the 245/35 and 275/30 sizes will fit just fine on standard alloys ?

Cheers,

Gavan

6 hours ago, DT_Racing said:

Cartainly the best mod so far Peter, the more I drive the happier I am about them, superb investment and really adds to the everyday driving experience. The very few miles I have on the new conti 6's have me enthusing also, it appears (on first impression) that they have a slightly stiffer sidewall so you do get an improved wheel feel on input further reducing the delay in reaction from the car. Getting very M3 now :-)

Once I gained the confidence on track to turn the TC fully off I found the car to be truely excellent, as wonderful as our TC system is on the road it kills the cars true character on track, It's a hoot! Massivley adjustable and communicative, initial understeer can be prompted and neutralised at will on the throttle, no nasty snap oversteer moments, it gives you plenty of warning its going to go and then when it does its beautifully progressive and controllable. I was a very surprised and happy man. Even the standard brakes can take a beating and not whine about it, if I were to take track days up more regularly I would invest in some upgraded pads but only so I wouldnt wear out my standard pads in a day.

@DT_Racing Interested to know if you find the USRS's make the ride any harder during daily driving? @Peter P18 reported the difference was minimal with a huge improvement in the feel, what are your thoughts? Seriously considering these! Thanks..

• Like 1