Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is there any way of "smoothing out" the gear changes while in the auto mode?

There's a noticeable change between gears when the auto is stepping up in speed (not being driven hard). I am about to change the exhaust back to mild steel which I am sure will help a bit (freeflow stainless at the moment) Maybe its more noticeable as the exhaust is quite loud in the cabin and the change will help.

I cant remember what it was like before the exhaust was changed - maybe the engine or gearbox is not as "tight" as it was before - cars on 92k

If gear changes have started to get more noticeable it can be a sign that the transmission fluid needs changing or at least refreshing with a simple drain (which only removes 1.5 litres (out of 7.2 lites) and top up. Maybe that should be done two or three times to get reasonable renewal/refreshment.

Or it could be some sort of fault - or your imagination!:smile:

I as about to point out - maybe you are in "PWR" (there is no S-mode on IS250 - S only enables paddles and sequential up/down shifts)? Though in PWR up ships are usually smooth (not different from Normal mode), only downshift kind of jerky and not well timed. 

My car is on much higher mileage, but transmission is super smooth... though transmission fluid was "topped-up" quite a few times in the past. And if I remember right it was done for first time at 60k+ full service.

I find the gearchange in normal driving almost unnoticable, mostly through changes in the engine note. When accelerating hard, the (delayed) kick-down is noticable.

This is my first AT car, so my sensitivity may not be typical.

Well ... I am sure this is not your sensitivity problem. Lexus is know for one of the smoothest gear changes. I have owned IS250 with various mileages and gear changes were always somewhere in between "super smooth" to "unnoticeable".

20 hours ago, johnatg said:

If gear changes have started to get more noticeable it can be a sign that the transmission fluid needs changing or at least refreshing with a simple drain (which only removes 1.5 litres (out of 7.2 lites) and top up. Maybe that should be done two or three times to get reasonable renewal/refreshment.

Or it could be some sort of fault - or your imagination!:smile:

Was thinking about a box fluid change - believe it is complex so will get it done via dealer - I am leaning towards the exhaust exaggerating the changes as the exhaust note is very evident on each change when in auto mode .....  it could be my imagination tho ??! :wacko:

5 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

Shouldn't be jerky or even notchy, the ones I've driven have all been as smooth as a buttered bannister.  Is it even more pronounced in S mode?

Power mode is off but have driven it when it has been on and same result. I keep threatening to do my exhaust - ordering the last parts this week so will have a go at putting it together before the end of the month as I am thinking its the cause..?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links