Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another RX 300 in the family

Our daughter in law just had her car written off (third party's fault) and needed another vehicle, so she asked me to source an RX 300 SE as she loves my wife's one. I'm just back from picking it up from outside Glasgow (99,000 miles with all Lexus and Toyota history with receipts including recent cambelt). Comparing it to my wife's one it is about the same condition which I'd describe as first class, and it drives very similarly, but one thing I noticed was when filling the tank, the read out on miles to empty was 342 as opposed to my wife's which reads 288. On the journey home (including a 40 minute traffic jam) it averaged 30.3 mpg (computer) whereas my wife's one on a similar journey can just get 27mpg. Has anyone else encountered difference like this between similar cars (2004 and 2005 models) - both well serviced incidentally and seem to drive the same.

cheers

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plastic orange said:

Our daughter in law just had her car written off (third party's fault) and needed another vehicle, so she asked me to source an RX 300 SE as she loves my wife's one. I'm just back from picking it up from outside Glasgow (99,000 miles with all Lexus and Toyota history with receipts including recent cambelt). Comparing it to my wife's one it is about the same condition which I'd describe as first class, and it drives very similarly, but one thing I noticed was when filling the tank, the read out on miles to empty was 342 as opposed to my wife's which reads 288. On the journey home (including a 40 minute traffic jam) it averaged 30.3 mpg (computer) whereas my wife's one on a similar journey can just get 27mpg. Has anyone else encountered difference like this between similar cars (2004 and 2005 models) - both well serviced incidentally and seem to drive the same.

cheers

Pete

Could be absolutely anything causing the discrepancy.

Might be the temperature, fuel quality, driving style and even tyre pressures.

tyre pressures, and the actual make/model of tyres would be the most obvious things the consider. I'd also check the wheel temperatures of the one with lower mpg after a journey, if there are wheels hot then that indicates a sticking brake calliper.

Do both vehicles have the same tyre size?

I had a slight issue with the parking brake not fully releasing... effectively driving with the footbrake slightly engaged. After having my rear disc dust covers fitted and brakes serviced, new pins etc... and the parking brake all refitted and cables lubricated.  Im about 3-5 mpg better off...on a long run, and maybe 2 mpg around town so. another option to look at. With the power of the RX's...a slight binding with the footbrake is quite tricky to spot unless your really trying, .....ie..select N on a hill ...see if it rolls freely backwards, or D in a slight uphill gradient and it doesnt pull slowly without any accelerator applied. 

Good luck ! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links