Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disappointed with IS220d engine ; remap?

Sorry to being my membership here with such a negative post, but I am somewhat disappointed with this cars engine after 2 weeks of ownership. My car has done 59k miles with full service history, so I don't think its a dud. It just seems very reluctant to make progress and laggy and always out of the powerband unless you rev the hell out of it and are lightening quick with gearchanges. Perhaps I should've opted for the sport model with its different gearing, but then again, the poor economy would be even worse; I'm averaging 34mpg urban/b-roads. My last car was a 407 coupe with the Jag/Range Rover Sport 2.7 V6 twin turbo auto  diesel engine which was a peach. The Lexus is a better built car for sure but this engine is poor in my opinion. what are other peoples thoughts? My mileage is 20k a year, I'm even tempted on getting an IS250 and LPG converting!

Welcome to LOC!

Thought I might start with some sad news to you as well. You probably should have visited this forum before purchasing your car... and we would have done everything to prevent you from buying IS220d. The car engine has so many problems that I must admit lately I started ignoring threads about IS220d all together.. 

It is the worst car/engine combo Lexus ever made and the problems described by you are in almost every second thread about IS220d.

I doubt found somebody impressed with this engine...

Note - it is impossible to convert IS250 to LPG (and why would you want to ?!).

• Like 1

Hi Ryan and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

We always like to see pictures of members cars so don't be shy.

Sorry the news isn't better on your chosen marque.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike

3 hours ago, Torqueischeap said:

Sorry to being my membership here with such a negative post, but I am somewhat disappointed with this cars engine after 2 weeks of ownership. My car has done 59k miles with full service history, so I don't think its a dud. It just seems very reluctant to make progress and laggy and always out of the powerband unless you rev the hell out of it and are lightening quick with gearchanges. Perhaps I should've opted for the sport model with its different gearing, but then again, the poor economy would be even worse; I'm averaging 34mpg urban/b-roads. My last car was a 407 coupe with the Jag/Range Rover Sport 2.7 V6 twin turbo auto  diesel engine which was a peach. The Lexus is a better built car for sure but this engine is poor in my opinion. what are other peoples thoughts? My mileage is 20k a year, I'm even tempted on getting an IS250 and LPG converting!

The car is supposed to do 0-62mph in 8.9s which is on par with the 407 2.7 tdi.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if something's got clogged up, its the least reliable car in the Lexus line up to date. Id probably get Terraclean done, should help alot!

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Id probably get Terraclean done, should help alot!

Or just rather start looking for IS250 swap before getting to the (expensive) bottom of problem.

Thank you all for your welcoming responses. I think I will look into the plug in accelerator mod and possibly remapping to try perk things up. I've read about terraclean before so may give that a go too, but that's all going to be several hundred pounds. I did fail to mention that I had the 407 coupe remapped too so it was looking like 245bhp in the same weight car with much much more torque. I'm a little afraid to go mapping the hell out or this apparently fragile engine though. What a lovely car besides this bone shaker of and engine, and the gearbox that's doing its best to slow you down too! I will read through the T&C's and let you know how I get on.

1 hour ago, Torqueischeap said:

Thank you all for your welcoming responses. I think I will look into the plug in accelerator mod and possibly remapping to try perk things up. I've read about terraclean before so may give that a go too, but that's all going to be several hundred pounds. I did fail to mention that I had the 407 coupe remapped too so it was looking like 245bhp in the same weight car with much much more torque. I'm a little afraid to go mapping the hell out or this apparently fragile engine though. What a lovely car besides this bone shaker of and engine, and the gearbox that's doing its best to slow you down too! I will read through the T&C's and let you know how I get on.

TBF its not a Lexus engine, I think its a Toyota engine pulled from the Avensis which explains it all!

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

TBF its not a Lexus engine, I think its a Toyota engine pulled from the Avensis which explains it all!

All engines in Lexus vehicles are Toyotas, Lexus is just a marketing and design house of Toyota.

37 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

All engines in Lexus vehicles are Toyotas, Lexus is just a marketing and design house of Toyota.

What I mean was that they're specifically designed for a Lexus vehicle rather than for a Toyota

11 hours ago, Torqueischeap said:

dont really have any sympathy here, Lexus 220ds are done to the death as to how bad they are.

Just buy a is250, and you dont need a lpg conversion, its not exactly a dodge viper.

5 hours ago, rayaans said:

a d4d oil burner, people are fooled by the looks, and the fact its identical to a is250.

7 hours ago, Torqueischeap said:

tbh, just sell it and buy a petrol, you will thank me after.

hahaha

indeed, seriously the IS220D is a dog,  whatever you do to the car will be money wasted and better spent on a is250 which is superior in every conceviable way.

3 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

hahaha

indeed, seriously the IS220D is a dog,  whatever you do to the car will be money wasted and better spent on a is250 which is superior in every conceviable way.

Just to add... basically - by buying IS250 you will save the money you have otherwise have spent on maintaining IS220d barely running. And MPG on IS250 is great, LPG only sensible for high miles or thirsty cars .. IS250 is not one...

On 02/07/2016 at 8:54 PM, jackcramerr said:

Shahpor

It is not like that. Just the poster is looking for something IS220D is not capable of and designed for....Performance.

IS250 is as well not performance car, yet it is by any measurable way better. IS220d is not worth Lexus badge... and the performance is not even the major problem.

@jackcramerr See what I mean? :dry:  Apparently, I am not a 'proper' Lexus owner.  Shame on me for buying this car! :tongue:

Seriously though, it may not have the greatest drivetrain in the world, but it far from the worst I have driven and I have still enjoyed the 9000 miles I have done in it so far.

I don't meant to offend. It is not your fault that Lexus made mistake... you they have not released IS220D, you would not have bought it. They had second gen Prius at the time, so I see no reason why they didn't push for IS200t on the Prius platform or something similar. Or at least more reliable diesel with AT transmission. I just simply expect more from Lexus.

Just now, toffee_pie said:

the problem here is that its a Lexus, a brand synomous with reliability, quality, comfort and class. The is220 is neither of these. Had it being any other brand it would probsbly have not an eye lid batted against it.

Unfortunately it was a look-alike to an is250 also which made the comparisons even worse. I dont know who at Lexus thought it a good idea to put a D4D oil burner into one of their cars, doubt he/she is still working with them.

While I agree in general with you Eric, I must say in the almost 10,000 miles I have done in mine, it has been perfectly reliable and comfortable, as well as damn fine looking! :smile:

And that is my point; It has the same seats, stereo, sat nav, interior trim, exterior panel and paint, wheels, brakes and suspension as a IS250.

What I am saying is that, while it is important, the engine of a car is not the be-all and end-all of that car, and in all other respects my IS is all Lexus.

I will give you an example;  There is another thread on this forum where I share my thoughts on a new IS 200t F Sport.  My main concern was that the ride was too hard and the seat too uncomfortable for my liking.  Anyway, despite this is issue, I still think it is a damn fine car and a proper Lexus.  It is just that I personally wouldn't choose the F Sport because of the suspension and seats.

I just think some people on this forum overreact when they hear IS220, and I am sure there are plenty of perfectly happy 220 owners out there.

I not sure... I might be overreacting about IS220d, but I always state "IS220d is not a bad car in general, but not what you would expect from Lexus"... be that reliability wise. We can as well go into the same discussion over and over again about weird gear ratios (no automatic), hesitant engine, smoke etc. But I guess you make the point here:

7 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I am sure there are plenty of perfectly happy 220 owners out there.

I doubt it is "plenty", but there are some indeed (you are). But I would reply to this by saying there are probably "a few" very unhappy IS250 owners... I have not yet met one, but I am sure there are... that number of very unhappy IS250 owners is equal to the number of perfectly happy IS220d owners.. and they are very few.

I think I stated that already as well if you only do long trips on motorway IS220d is probably not a bad car for you (that is what diesels are for). As all around car is not great.. it is not much to enjoy and on top of that is unreliable.

Finally, again as I said - I have no intentions to offend anyone or say anything bad about owners of IS220d, but for sure I would never ever recommend this car to anyone.