Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disappointed with IS220d engine ; remap?

Just now, toffee_pie said:

very well but no need for snide remarks is there, but you just cant help youurself. The mere fact you have a coupe says enough about you

I'll leave it for others to judge Eric,

Steve - IS250C is a little bit heavier than IS250 and has higher mast of gravity.. many say that 2.5 V6 feels underpowered for it (americans have an option of IS350C..), but you made your point .. you don't performance car... it is better than SC430.. and what are the other options (well apart maybe BMW E93)..?

Eric - Manual gearbox in Lexus IS250 never had any good reviews, it is not well refined gearbox, nor say sporty one. Just a standard 6 speed manual from Avensis as is 2.2 D4D engine. So lets say IS250 MT is big of hybrid between IS250 At and IS220d.

Shahpor - that is what I was always saying.. and applies to any diesel... manual. I am surprised they need to explain all the terms and conditions of loan, but don't need to explain the terms and conditions of diesel cars.. "Not to be driven for short distances, especially in urban environment - please sign here you have understood!". 

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Steve - IS250C is a little bit heavier than IS250 and has higher mast of gravity.. many say that 2.5 V6 feels underpowered for it (americans have an option of IS350C..), but you made your point .. you don't performance car... it is better than SC430.. and what are the other options (well apart maybe BMW E93)..?

Eric - Manual gearbox in Lexus IS250 never had any good reviews, it is not well refined gearbox, nor say sporty one. Just a standard 6 speed manual from Avensis as is 2.2 D4D engine. So lets say IS250 MT is big of hybrid between IS250 At and IS220d.

Shahpor - that is what I was always saying.. and applies to any diesel... manual. I am surprised they need to explain all the terms and conditions of loan, but don't need to explain the terms and conditions of diesel cars.. "Not to be driven for short distances, especially in urban environment - please sign here you have understood!". 

SC430 is much more desirable lump than a 250C., As for comparing a IS250 MT to a IS220D....have you been smoking something quite potent tonight?

FWIW, I had lots of people interested in my is250, its gone to a new home and the seller flew from Belfast to take it back. I think you are getting a bit carried away with your comments down to and including to say I was looking to buy a IS250 'AUTO',  the is250 is a very good car but its not exactly mind blowing.

23 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Its still more 'sporty' than the Auto box on the is250, but not sporty enough for me. The reason I sold it was It was underwhelming overall, despite the creature comforts.  The Subaru more than makes up for the shortcomings of the is250 with a torsen LSD, more sorted chassis with AWD, more low end torque and much faster gear changes with a 6 speed box from a STI Impreza (even if I need to exercise the auld arm and leg).

Did you just replied to one post twice? Is it really me who smokes here?

IS250 is not meant to be sporty, so "more sporty" MT box only takes away and gives nothing... It is too heavy to be sporty and trying to strangle that engine to redline with MT only makes it more evident. AT might be less sporty.. but it is relaxed effortless and very confortable for this car. Engine has most torque and HP at 3800RPM and revving it beyond this doesn't make car move faster.. just makes it uncomfortable..  

Legacy vs. IS250.. is apple vs. oranges.. I am not going into this..

8 hours ago, steveledzep said:

The same V6 you extolled the virtues of for a long while despite its manual gearbox.

I have no interest in leaving A5s for dust, would prefer Audi drivers use their indicators !  If I wanted a performance car I'd have bought an ISF or something else.

Pleased you're happy with your wheels Eric, but Subaru no interest whatsoever on a Lexus forum.

there is nothing wrong with the manual gear box, its not like I am arthritic or anything like that. 

Some people on here carry on like they are from some elite class, guys there is nothing particuarly special about a Lexus is250, I had my spell in one. I had it a few years and dont have anything to bad to say about it (including the MANUAL gear box), the worst thing was the V6, it simply was not lively enough.

I dont need or want a convertible as driving a car like that is for, shall we say particular types.

7 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Did you just replied to one post twice? Is it really me who smokes here?

IS250 is not meant to be sporty, so "more sporty" MT box only takes away and gives nothing... It is too heavy to be sporty and trying to strangle that engine to redline with MT only makes it more evident. AT might be less sporty.. but it is relaxed effortless and very confortable for this car. Engine has most torque and HP at 3800RPM and revving it beyond this doesn't make car move faster.. just makes it uncomfortable..  

Legacy vs. IS250.. is apple vs. oranges.. I am not going into this..

Im not asking you to get into it, I am only telling you the rationale for me getting one.

1 hour ago, toffee_pie said:

Im not asking you to get into it, I am only telling you the rationale for me getting one.

I am sure you have one, I am not saying Subaru is not good car nor IS250 MT. Simple fact IS250 AT is better than IS250 MT, more refined, better residual value, more reliable, cheaper to maintain and tax. 

V6 engine is OK... but it is nothing special I agree. And you reinforce my point - MT highlight engine issue, AT blends it in and makes car enjoyable to drive.

On 06/07/2016 at 10:33 AM, Linas.P said:

I am sure you have one, I am not saying Subaru is not good car nor IS250 MT. Simple fact IS250 AT is better than IS250 MT, more refined, better residual value, more reliable, cheaper to maintain and tax. 

V6 engine is OK... but it is nothing special I agree. And you reinforce my point - MT highlight engine issue, AT blends it in and makes car enjoyable to drive.

show me some evidence a Manual is less reliable & less refined or less fun or more expensive to upkeep than an Auto - utter drivel and you ranting on about comparing a manual to a diesel ffs. A Lexus is250 (manual or auto) is not particuarly engaging at all to drive, anyone who knows the car will say the same. Its a very good car in its own right for comfort and wafting around, but its not driver focused or particuarly engaging to drive., the latter being my main reasons to get a different car. 

Would I have kept my motor over 2 years if all this nonsense about manuals was actually true? from what you are saying its basically undrivable and fit for the skip.  I can give you the contact number of the bloke who bought my car and he might shut your gob as you dont know when to stop it seems.

We know tax is quite a jump up on Autos and I for one think thats the main factor in Autos being favoured and more readily available. Most people who enquired about my Lexus said how much is tax, how much is tax, .. clearly its all they were concerned about. Some people dont worry too much about tax, like the guy who bought it or myself with a Legacy that costs about £530 a year to tax. 

You are the same poster posting crap about a Lexus that was very severly damaged and saying it could be fixed up.

On 06/07/2016 at 9:14 AM, toffee_pie said:

I dont need or want a convertible as driving a car like that is for, shall we say particular types.

Haven't tried to persuade you to a convertible.  I am very impressed that you are able to assert what "type" of person I am based only on the car that I drive ! Remarkable !

To be absolutely honest Toffee, I wouldn't have a clue about predicting your person "type" based only on you being a Subaru driver.

Fortunately, you've made sufficient posts on this forum for me to assert with absolute confidence that you are an extremely rude and obnoxious half-wit "type".

11 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Haven't tried to persuade you to a convertible.  I am very impressed that you are able to assert what "type" of person I am based only on the car that I drive ! Remarkable !

To be absolutely honest Toffee, I wouldn't have a clue about predicting your person "type" based only on you being a Subaru driver.

Fortunately, you've made sufficient posts on this forum for me to assert with absolute confidence that you are an extremely rude and obnoxious half-wit "type".

I wont lower my standard even trying to converse with you. Excuse me while I exersie my left leg.......heavy clutch and all that

13 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

show me some evidence

It is easy. You mentioned tax, so that is higher running costs.. isn't it? But that is not only thing, much bigger thing is clutches - not only there were defective ones, but as well they normally wear much quicker. Automatic - never had issues with clutches and they do not wear.. or wear so slowly that life-span is "lifetime". Finally, gearbox oil.. automatic transmissions has much longer oil life. 

This doesn't mean it is bad car, but not as good as AT, you will need to spend more money on it, change clutch, gearbox oil and pay extra for tax. All that extra cost for less of the car - automatic is always considered as "additional equipment" - it is simply no brainier to pay more and have less.. That is reflected in IS250 MT prices .. which are not as low as IS220d, but very close.

toffee likes manual cars

Linas likes automatic

steve likes cope

original poster likes diesel

everyone likes lexus?

It is not worth the energy discussing anymore.  Everyone has a good opinion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Linas.P said:

It is easy. You mentioned tax, so that is higher running costs.. isn't it? But that is not only thing, much bigger thing is clutches - not only there were defective ones, but as well they normally wear much quicker. Automatic - never had issues with clutches and they do not wear.. or wear so slowly that life-span is "lifetime". Finally, gearbox oil.. automatic transmissions has much longer oil life. 

This doesn't mean it is bad car, but not as good as AT, you will need to spend more money on it, change clutch, gearbox oil and pay extra for tax. All that extra cost for less of the car - automatic is always considered as "additional equipment" - it is simply no brainier to pay more and have less.. That is reflected in IS250 MT prices .. which are not as low as IS220d, but very close.

consider this, since you are the expert in auto v manuals!

Its quite probable that Tranny fluid will never be changed in the ownership of a car, should someone have the misfortune to own a is250 manual (tongue firmly in cheek).

As for clutch failures, show me some posts where clutches were bust on a Lexus? They should last the life of the car, assuming people can drive propely. Auto and Manual is250 cars have pretty much identical running costs, contrary to your expert opinion

That brings us to tax, its a bit expensive by a few hundred quid, but expensive enough to put people off them and buying cars on lower VED bands.

People worry about car tax, no iffs and no buts. Its one of the reasons why there has been a deluge in people buying diesels over the last decade or so.

You guys really need to stop this now.

There is nothing to be gain from carrying on since you both know each others position, and are obviously not going to change your minds.

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

You guys really need to stop this now.

There is nothing to be gain from carrying on since you both know each others position, and are obviously not going to change your minds.

well Linas.P seems to have an answer for everything so I am just making him work for it.

Brexit, I think the UK is a bit funked, governments fault for not having a decent immigration system in place, having notices on the government website about benefits and the such on offer to people is not the way to go. I am Irish and since I moved to England in 2011 I have paid thousands and thousands in Tax and not claimed a penny from the state. 

I have spent loads taxing manual cars though... :whip:

• Like 1

hmm... this will keep you distracted toffee:

Did you know that non eu immigrants cannot claim benefits due to their visa ?

Did you know to claim benefit one has to show that person lived in uk for x amount of time and contributed?

Did you know to claim benefit one has to show every week they have applied for job and prove they have been trying?

Did you know the immigrants pay more in tax and a fraction is taken out as benefit?

Did you know it is the brits who take more out than give back in?

Did you know a non eu doctor comes to NHS for locums and get paid 400 pounds an hour and travel business or first class on your money? While eu docots get paid the same as any brit doctor ?

Did you know that most immigrants come here to earn more and work hard to prove back to their home they have achived better as oppose to be lethargic and show how they have failed? Explains why they work harder and ready to take any sort of job be it be back breaking strawberry picking? 

Did any website or newspaper ever show the benefit and advtanges immigrants bring in? Ok... I might be shooting my own foot here :)))

I can keep going. This exuses for benefit is flawed. 

• Like 1