Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As the title says, just gone for an mot and it's failed on the emissions.

It's a 57 plate 250. Nearly 63k miles.

Looking at the sheet the max is 0.2 and mine blew 4. Obviously much too much.

Any ideas what's up with it?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Must be something to do with sensors, Fuel, MAF, O2... one of them - soffy if that is not very accurate. mine done more than twice than yours and last MOT showed - "0" emission?! I suspect them putting the plug to the pipe of Prius while on Battery.

Use forte petrol treatment in tank or use shell v power and take it on motorway it will blast gunk away, I use diesel treatment in my 15 yr tx1 taxi which never passes emissions if I don't use forte,it's very good additive. 

I have had the check vsc light come on and checked the code myself with one of those Bluetooth adapters. Best 5£ ever. Think the code was to do with some sensor or left bank something or other. Got a free retest within 14 days so want to make sure it's fixed right.

Would shell vpower and a blast fix it or best get it checked out?

No I don't think fuel additives would help if O2 sensor is bad. Obviously, you can try that and get lucky, but as I said (and based on your reply " some sensor or left bank") that will be one of the 02 sensors. I have got myself ODB2 adapter as well - now computer diagnostics sounds funny.. £5 sensor and £1.49 app on phone.

By the way - this is not anything terrible, based on the age of your car this is about time for O2 sensor to go. Normally around 90k, but because your car is rather low miles for the age it is possible.

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

I think he is running a 250 and not a 200 as the user info states ... could be wrong? :wacko:

You will need Denso sensors - can buy them from the USA for around £180 for 2 (or around that price) and they will be with you within a week depending on the post.

Ideally you need to replace both sensors as if one has gone it wont be long before the other goes. If you do just the one sensor then you will need to find out which one has gone - there are 4 sensors .... 2 x pre cat and 2 x post cat. The pre-cat O2 sensors in the engine bay will more than likely be the ones that have gone but don't leave it too long as the downstream sensor will be under pressure to control the emissions - you will see what I mean when you take the dead one out (coked in black soot) Very easy to replace - look at the "how to" I have posted

The part numbers are shown on the how to and one will replace either side

I'm an is250 owner.

The check vsc lights back on. Checked the code and it's P0174. Something about the left bank being lean I think.

Any suggestions?

@Mbay......I believe you have got all the information regarding this issue, its time to work your way through the list of problems and get your hands dirty.

No matter haw many questions you ask on the forum the car will not repair itself:whip:....crack on man. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Verbout said:

Does cataclean repair O2 sensors. Wow. :lol:

We might need to get this stuff while it is only £12. I hope it as well fixes some stone chips and scratches as it does o2 sensors.