Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cloudy/discoloured headlamps

Hi folks

I have a 2002 Lexus IS200 Auto and have booked it in to have some minor body repairs next week. The headlamps look a bit ratty so I asked for them to be polished when the other work is done and I was told they would try but it looked like the interior of the lamps is damaged. This puzzled me as I could see how the outside could be damaged/scuffed/ weathered in normal driving but I could not se how the interior could be affected. I was told that because of the high temperature of modern headlight bulbs they often cause the lens to crack and or fracture. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this problem? I presume if  it is the interior of the lights the the only remedy would be replacement which I expect would be costly for new headlamps and fitting.

All advice from persons out there in Lexus Land will be gratefully received

Yep, whoever told you that is bang on the money. The headlights develop micro-cracks as a result of UV light and this causes yellowing over time.

I was under the impression that cloudy headlights could be restored by polishing (although ideally not using toothpaste) and I've seen several YouTube videos where this has been done.

SWMBO has a Yaris (about the same age as my IS) which yellow almost as quickly as a chopped apple goes brown. Last MoT time I bought a kit (Turtle wax one, I think) and did both lights. Within about three months they were yellowing again. My IS's lights are no where near as bad, but do take on a yellow hue every three months or so. I had some of the clarifying compound from the kit left over, and this works quite well on its own, if you can keep on top of it. I have previously used toothpaste but that can be a sticky mess (it's also brilliant at getting the windscreen clean) but last weekend I actually tried some T-Cut on both cars, and that seems to have done a decent job. 

1 hour ago, piasek said:

Hedlights are going yellow again because you didn't seal the surface after polishing. You should use something with uv filter like:

Interesting. The kit I used had a wipe that allegedly was sealer, but with hindsight I suppose a wipe is never going to do the job on two headlights. I'll give that stuff from amazon a go; thanks for the tip-off!

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2016 at 4:34 PM, rayaans said:

Yep, whoever told you that is bang on the money. The headlights develop micro-cracks as a result of UV light and this causes yellowing over time.

On the inside? Never heard that, BS being digested believe.

Hello Garry. I am increasingly confused. Do you have any advice for me please. I would like to have the lights restored but have no mechanical knowledge.