Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

17 hours ago, joelfigueira said:

Mine goes in at Teeside on the 20th will let you know how it goes and see if the experience is the same. 

Hi Joel

Yes, We'll have to compare notes - they will have had chance to practice on yours before they get mine :wink3:

My recall letter came today, all excited was I , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was for the 220 I sold two months ago, still waiting on my F sport letter !! 

I suppose I will have to wait for my free valet and goody bag a little longer from Listers Lincoln, not forgetting fuel !

1 hour ago, 999101999 said:

My recall letter came today, all excited was I , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was for the 220 I sold two months ago, still waiting on my F sport letter !! 

I suppose I will have to wait for my free valet and goody bag a little longer from Listers Lincoln, not forgetting fuel !

Goodie bag is that at all Lexus garages??? 

I am working on the principle hope  of wishing for a goodie bag and that someone at LEXUS might read the post and consider it to be a worthy idea and suggest same to the dealer network, OK I agree a little forlorn but worth a go !!:-)

Mines was done yesterday 2009 250 

collected and returned to work , valet but no fuel this time 

advised I need new brake calipers 😩

but this is going through the extended warranty 😁 so that was worth the money 👍👍👍

2 minutes ago, markrose said:

Mines was done yesterday 2009 250 

collected and returned to work , valet but no fuel this time 

advised I need new brake calipers 😩

but this is going through the extended warranty 😁 so that was worth the money 👍👍👍

Well that is good, but what has brake calipers got to do with airbag. Dealers should not be going over the vehicle without permission. Do your brakes not work?

Are they pulling or binding? When mine goes in i will stipulate no valet. Only one person touches mine and that is me. 

3 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Well that is good, but what has brake calipers got to do with airbag. Dealers should not be going over the vehicle without permission. Do your brakes not work?

Are they pulling or binding? When mine goes in i will stipulate no valet. Only one person touches mine and that is me. 

They do a health check on your car and provide a check list of work needing doing. Most dealers I've dealt with over the years who've done warranty work provide this service/theft.

11 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Every time mine goes to the dealer, regardless of why it is there, they will do a visual safety check.

Why would they need permission?  I can't imagine anyone objecting to the technician giving the car a once over.  It is not like you are charged for it, or that you have to even listen to what they say.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Verbout said:

They do a health check on your car and provide a check list of work needing doing. Most dealers I've dealt with over the years who've done warranty work provide this service/theft.

I have seen what their work is like , when i purchased mine just had a service at Lexus dealer. Good at ticking boxes and not doing the simplest of jobs.

I do my own work then i know what exactly has been done and used. That is not only Lexus dealers but Vw group are the same as probably most.

5 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Every time mine goes to the dealer, regardless of why it is there, they will do a visual safety check.

Why would they need permission?  I can't imagine anyone objecting to the technician giving the car a once over.  It is not like you are charged for it, or that you have to even listen to what they say.

If your car is maintained right you do not need a health check. So that is why toyota do the job in 2 and a half hours, and lexus take best part of a day.

I tried booking in at local toyota dealer, but lexus would have nothing of it. So you have answered my question for me. And yes i would object if you must know.

53 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

If your car is maintained right you do not need a health check. So that is why toyota do the job in 2 and a half hours, and lexus take best part of a day.

I tried booking in at local toyota dealer, but lexus would have nothing of it. So you have answered my question for me. And yes i would object if you must know.

You asked what has the callipers to do with the airbag, we told you about the health check.

We’re not saying you have to have any work done that they point out, I also do all my own work on my cars, it’s just nice that they do this.

Anyone who doesn’t know about cars, and doesn’t do work on their cars, can then decide if they want Lexus or another garage of their choice to do the work.

It’s a free service, win, win.

Note: although Lexus report that the calipers need replacing  this might not actually be the only course of action, if the fault is 'sticky' slide pins then these may be removed cleaned and re-greased in many occasions but Lexus will not advocate this and will go down the re-new option. Like 'Verbout'  I would not simply allow them to carry out the work on their say so and would investigate myself first.

While I agree in principle with what you say Paul, since the extended warranty is paying for the work, why would you go to the trouble of greasing the slide pins yourself rather than have them fit a new caliper for free?

8 hours ago, Shahpor said:

While I agree in principle with what you say Paul, since the extended warranty is paying for the work, why would you go to the trouble of greasing the slide pins yourself rather than have them fit a new caliper for free?

Maintaining the callipers yourself (ok, a lot of us do it and a lot don't) also gives you peace of mind also that at least there are no issues elsewhere in the wheel arches such as brake pads low, sensors damaged, weeping shocks etc as the components in the arches do take a hammering. Its also a good idea to clean the wheel arches out from time to time – Lexus wont give them a clean, maybe a blast with a jet wash when they are returning the car but nothing as detailed as cleaning mud from parts with the wheel off. Its an ideal time to check over the tyres and alloys also, especially inner alloy for corrosion. As the wheel is off it takes no time at all to do.

Its good to get into the routine of greasing the pins as at some point, for example when they wont cover the car under warranty, you will need to do it. It is an easy job and takes 1 hour tops to do all 4 and that includes cleaning out the arches.

A new calliper is not necessary better than a maintained one as its not featured on any service schedule from Lexus to regrease the pins – it’s a replacement every time. I would not be surprised that the ones they do replace and re-fit are refurbished ones as Lexus wont, I would expect, still be authorising the manufacture of these as the model has changed so much over the years so what I would expect they are putting back on the car are refurbed ones, which are ok and it can be argued that they are new to some extent.

I would stick my neck out also in stating that I would not take them to an indie garage to do (unless trusted) as I would want to see the callipers done properly. If the garage did not do the job properly  and done a sloppy job then when seized they are going to cost £300+ per corner to replace. Not saying the garage would do a bad job but I would want to trust them to do it right as for the sake of a small amount of grease the resulting cost could be horrendous for the replacement of 2 or 3 callipers. In that case I would think it would be a case of proving they done the job badly... you would not be able to. 

Its good that you are still getting them done (replaced) while under warranty but there is so much more that you could check if you could do them yourself.

Not having a rant, I am just putting an argument across as to the benefit of doing the job yourself and if you are keeping the car for a while (like I do) I would want to know all is well with other parts in the wheel arch.

10 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Yes, that's fair IF you got a warranty that's gonna cover it but I personally have never subscribed to paid for warranties and when it comes to repairs I am very reticent to 'get someone in'  ( apart from anything to do with mains gas installations!).

I have over the years fixed countless domestic appliances and have always maintained my ( and rest of families) vehicles.

Upto purchasing my current 250 I have never bought a car that had Less than 100,000 miles on the clock and needless to say they all needed some kind of work along the way if not just for MOT's and as I have never sold a car ( keep them until they fall apart ie silly money to get through a MOT) the continuation of the full Lexus service history I got with this 250 is prob not going to be continued, but the maintaince is going to be done by me and I will have the self satisfaction of really knowing the history of the work. Hopefully this one is going to take some serious time before it starts to 'fall apart' ( if I got anything to do with it anyway!)

gotta say I do find it quite funny/annoying/frustrating when I come across people (read drivers) who don't have a single clue of what is going on under the bonnet of the thing they rely on so very much everyday. While I accept that it takes all sorts to make the world go round and it may be beyond the realms of some then I guess that it is these types that keep the likes of Kwik Rip and Halfrauds in Business! 

That Was a Rant and now it's over......I'll get me coat and be gone in a mo.

paul m.

• Like 1

Ok, I feel a little picked on now :smile:

But seriously, I think I might have misrepresented myself somewhat in my last post, so let me clarify.

Paul, I did say that since the warranty company is paying, so if it wasn't free I wouldn't have suggested the dealer replace it.

I am certainly of the opinion that you should make an effort to look after your car yourself, wherever possible.  In fact, if you browse my old posts, you will see that one of the first things I did to my car was unstick and grease the front calipers when I bought it.

Recently, I noticed a neighbours car had a flat tyre and told him so.  Looked out of my window a while later to see him struggling to figure out how to get the wheel off; he couldn't figure out which way the wheel nuts turn to undo, and worse, he was trying to undo them with the car jacked up.  I went out and showed him how to do it.  I just assumed it would be obviously how a wheel is changed and even more so on which way a thread unlocks!

I feel that it does help if you have an interest in cars or how things work in general which, unfortunately, excludes most people, who would rather just pay someone else to fix it for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

No ... not picked on .. :wink3:

I just think that owners with these cars - which to be honest, the cars are getting on a bit (mines 11 years old in a few months time but drives maybe not as new but not far from it compared to the new cars coming of the line now and I would have thought any well kept car in this range would be the same?), unless you have the money to throw at them against the dealer prices then you need to get your hands dirty. I look after mine and always have done and always will until it does need to go to a dealer/garage for something I cant figure out.

Yesterday I changed the oil, filter, cabin and cleaned and re-oiled the air filter and had a general "mooch" around the wheel arches cleaning them out before the winter. Gives a good feeling when done as like Texas has said in his post that you know exactly whats used been used and you have the satisfaction its done well (by yourself)

If it was a dealer job all the time then it would warrant paying the price for a newer car not having any issues.

To be honest maybe some owners don't have the room or opportunity to maintain it themselves or do work on them and have no choice to put it in a dealer

Also - this web site is very good to air any issues and for members to help resolve other member car issues - theres no maintenance manuals such as the "Haynes" manuals you used to buy so the more people doing or resolving their own issues and posting here the better for all

so - no not picking on anyone...:wink3:

Please anyone Don't get the wrong end of the stick!

Shahpor you obs do have some technical ability and yes I too cringe when I come across people that do not know the basic's, which you and I take for granted, Apparently there is no such thing as Common Sense but when trying to help someone who doesn't know how to use a pair of mole grips or fix a puncture on a push bike it is quite hard to know sometimes what level to go down to. Like I said it is these people who pay someone to do the basic's ( I really did see someone in a cycle shop wanting a puncture fixed) but I am not well heeled and would prefer not to pay for something I believe I can do myself ( fitted kitchen,bathroom,loft conversion,two storey extension, detatched garage to name a few) No offence but most builders and mechanics don't look like brain suregons ie it's mostly knowledge but and there is a but, unlike a former work colleague I draw the line at DIY dentistry!!!

I digress sorry back to cars...
The 250 I now have is the most well built,highest performing and luxurious car I have ever owned. But I have looked and John Haynes OBE in his wisdom back in the day decided not to get a Lexus and tear it apart taking pictures and taking notes along the way. So This forum and all its contributors are going to be a big part of the knowledge base required to enable me to maintain my car! Hopefully just regular maintenance and not anything  catastrophic!

cheers Paul m.

On 15/10/2017 at 1:24 PM, Shahpor said:

But seriously, I think I might have misrepresented myself somewhat in my last post, so let me clarify.

Paul, I did say that since the warranty company is paying, so if it wasn't free I wouldn't have suggested the dealer replace it.

I am certainly of the opinion that you should make an effort to look after your car yourself, wherever possible.  In fact, if you browse my old posts, you will see that one of the first things I did to my car was unstick and grease the front calipers when I bought it.

Recently, I noticed a neighbours car had a flat tyre and told him so.  Looked out of my window a while later to see him struggling to figure out how to get the wheel off; he couldn't figure out which way the wheel nuts turn to undo, and worse, he was trying to undo them with the car jacked up.  I went out and showed him how to do it.  I just assumed it would be obviously how a wheel is changed and even more so on which way a thread unlocks!

I feel that it does help if you have an interest in cars or how things work in general which, unfortunately, excludes most people, who would rather just pay someone else to fix it for them.

I think this is why the new driving test is a good thing, drivers have to learn the basics fluid top up etc. Still not enough, but having said that who can change a wheel that has

been put on with a windy gun. And getting back on track, i appreciate people like me take for granted what we can do, but we started somewhere. First time i did brakes

i was frightened i did something wrong. But one things for sure new cars do not make it easy. Lift the bonnet on most cars now and you just want to shut them again.

A manufacturing ploy quite possible.

Mine is in today for the airbag job.

I did mention that the dash is silent and there are no rattles/pops/cracks at all from anywhere around the dashboard. I have two videos to back up my statement too.

Hopefully I won't be needing to produce them. Should get her back tonight all being well.

Have a brand new IS300h to get to work. Very nice is is too. I still prefer my 2.5 V6 though, .................. but then I am very accustomed to its sound and performance.

I mentioned the dash rattles and the reported damage to dashboards to the customer services advisor when I handed over my keys, telling him, rather cheekily, that I would like the car back in the same state its in now.

He said they only need to take the glovebox out to get to the passenger airbag.

I don't know what he wanted to say to me, something like, "Well take the car back home you ungrateful oink".....   :lol:

3 hours ago, Verbout said:

I mentioned the dash rattles and the reported damage to dashboards to the customer services advisor when I handed over my keys, telling him, rather cheekily, that I would like the car back in the same state its in now.

He said they only need to take the glovebox out to get to the passenger airbag.

I don't know what he wanted to say to me, something like, "Well take the car back home you ungrateful oink".....   :lol:

Mine only had the glove box out like yours and they went in from the foot well - yet others have reported that the whole dash has come out

strange  :wacko:

Wonder if they found a better way of doing the job. I suppose once they have done a good few they will find a better way and advise all Lexus garages to do it that way to save time and get more cars done. 

Hope they still washed your car and gave fuel?