Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air con condenser and compressor ouch

Just had it confirmed . Leaky compressor  and condenser.  Parts total was over 1200. Anyone ever changed them . Either using a garage or diy. Not afraid of having a go myself but the garage said something about putting special oil in the compressor. 

Starting to lose the love 

I bought an ac compressor for my last LS430 from a breakers for £75 and had it fitted and gassed for a further £100. The problem with breakers is they leave them on the shelf and seals dry out, best to have it taken off the vehicle if you go down that route.

I did say to the garage I'm sure I can source them cheaper.  And they said they'll fit them . Is it a pig of a job to fit  a compressor.  Looks like it could be a rad  out job. If so I'd probably do that at same time

1 hour ago, Chasdad said:

I did say to the garage I'm sure I can source them cheaper.  And they said they'll fit them . Is it a pig of a job to fit  a compressor.  Looks like it could be a rad  out job. If so I'd probably do that at same time

It's not a rad out job but you really need the car up in the air.  

That'll be me out then. I'll have a garage with a lift one day.  But to work on my mx5 not a bloody great ls. Starting to wonder whether I should have got a parts car now or just not bother putting things like this right. They're lovely cars but they all seem to suffer the same faults eventually.

9 hours ago, Chasdad said:

That'll be me out then. I'll have a garage with a lift one day.  But to work on my mx5 not a bloody great ls. Starting to wonder whether I should have got a parts car now or just not bother putting things like this right. They're lovely cars but they all seem to suffer the same faults eventually.

It'll happen with any car, and when you buy what was made for the luxury market for little money and is now years old, it's like Russian roulette, but we all hope the gun doesn't go off!  I would have your air con fixed, driving with the windows open seems to defeat the object of being in a quiet comfortable car.

Are you sure both the compressor and the condenser are leaking?  The compressors on these are pretty tough. 

• Like 1

He showed me the dye which was around the bottom of the condenser and pretty much all over the compressor.  Spots on pipework all around . Do you think it could have been blown back from condenser by air from driving . Or would the rad stop it reaching the compressor. I'm tempted to change condensor first and see what happens. Didn't you say you changed a compressor on yours though

Please change your vehicle model on your personal data as I've lost track as to which Car you now own. You've had so many.

It makes sense to replace the condensor and all pipework back to the compressor and see if this fixes the problem.

You won't be able to get pipework from Rock auto of course,  and daresay it will cost an arm and a leg via Lexus. Perhaps Amayama route?

I speak only as one who luckily hasn't had this problem - yet.  Touch wood.

Good luck

3 hours ago, Chasdad said:

He showed me the dye which was around the bottom of the condenser and pretty much all over the compressor.  Spots on pipework all around . Do you think it could have been blown back from condenser by air from driving . Or would the rad stop it reaching the compressor. I'm tempted to change condensor first and see what happens. Didn't you say you changed a compressor on yours though

I had mine changed but I was never quite sure it was faulty, certainly not leaking.  I'm sure it's possible that you have some blow back from the condenser, and your pipework may well be ok, it's usually the rear pipe that suffers not the front.

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Please change your vehicle model on your personal data as I've lost track as to which Car you now own. You've had so many.

It makes sense to replace the condensor and all pipework back to the compressor and see if this fixes the problem.

You won't be able to get pipework from Rock auto of course,  and daresay it will cost an arm and a leg via Lexus. Perhaps Amayama route?

I speak only as one who luckily hasn't had this problem - yet.  Touch wood.

Good luck

You sound like my wife.  Still considering buying a parts car

• Like 1

Oh dear!  The trouble is, that all the parts you want from a donor car are likely to be just as shot as the parts that you want to replace. OK Wheels /tyres maybe not, but mechanical parts.

I liked you comment "started to lose the love"  - been there several times but still smitten after last 2.5k mile trip. Off shortly on another 1200 return trip to Le continent where my heart goes out to the people

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if both the compressor and condenser are leaking at the same time. Extremely unlikely I would say. It would be one or the other. The condenser is the more likely candidate as they are prone to puncturing by stones etc., but a genuine Denso can be got from Rockauto at a very reasonable cost. I know as I ordered one from them a while back. The compressors tend to be bulletproof. Hope you get it sorted ok.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Titch LS said:

I'd be surprised if both the compressor and condenser are leaking at the same time. Extremely unlikely I would say. It would be one or the other. The condenser is the more likely candidate as they are prone to puncturing by stones etc., but a genuine Denso can be got from Rockauto at a very reasonable cost. I know as I ordered one from them a while back. The compressors tend to be bulletproof. Hope you get it sorted ok.

I second that!

1 hour ago, Chasdad said:

Going to go for condenser change first.  Hope it's straight forward

Not done one on a Lexus but it looks dead easy.  This guy with the annoying voice changes one on a Toyota and it's very similar.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chasdad said:

Looks straightforward.  Would I have to add the pag oil .being as I'd be getting it regassed by a company. He sounds like micky mouse

The man with the Micky Mouse  voice added oil because he was doing the re-gassing himself, but you'll have it done when you take it for gassing.  Just make sure you mention it to them though.

I don't think it's really a do it yourself job. I had my condenser replaced the other day on my LS 400 and it cost £120 with a receiver/dryer (which must be replaced) bolts broke etc so better to have a professional do it. I bought my Denso condenser (OE) on Rockauto £170 with taxes paid and charge from my Visa card. It was not a difficult job on the LS 400 as it is in front of the radiator. If your compressor is gone then you'll have to regas and replace receiver/dryer again which will be around another £70 so worth pricing that into the equation.

• Like 1

I remember now, when I replaced my condenser (Rockauto), I  also replaced the receiver/dryer (recommended), which was also from Rockauto but was very cheap. It sits in front of the condenser; very easy to see and get at. One problem though, the bolts holding it, I was told, "always break". Sure enough, like Shanra reported, they broke. Something to do with a chemical reaction between steel and aluminium. Had to take it to Japex in the end, who sorted it for me.

Exactly the same Brian happened to mine.

Chasdad it really is worth finding out whether the compressor is just leaking or is it still turning, is the clutch working, has it broken up inside? as then you'll have shards of metal running around your system, any decent A/C professional should be able to give you a proper idea of what is occuring. Have a look at this site  http://www.ac4cars.co.uk/   it will give you an insight and you can partly diagnose what's happening with your compressor yourself. I put this site link up here for purely educational purposes and if I am breaking any rules please edit it. The website is not the easiest to navigate so here's a better link http://www.airconditioningforcars.co.uk/ACpage01.htm

• Like 1

The one feauture the LS lacks, including my 400, is heat insulating glass. Mercedes had it in the 80s and 90s and it should have been standard. I could not live without aircon and have spent quite a bit replacing seals, pipework etc to keep mine working. If I were in the position of not being able to afford a fix, I would have to sell the car, although I would investigate the possibility of heat reducing film for the windows first

• Like 1

Shanra, My compressor is fine, I just had a punctured condenser that I had to replace,(plus receiver/dryer). I read somewhere that there is a built in safety over-ride on the compressor clutch to stop any disintegration taking place, (should it fail) and thereby stop those nasty bits of metal entering the system.  

• Like 1

With regard to bits of metal flying off and entering the A/C system just to reassure those of you that fear this could happen, it can't.

The A/C compressor is driven via a magnetic clutch off the crankshaft via the serpentine belt.

The compressor as a built in pressure switch that electronically disengages the clutch if the pressure drops for any reason, be it leaks or  seizure   due to lack of pag oil etc.

The seizure is the main fault on all A/C compressors due to lack of oil and the Magnetic clutch is mainly there as a safeguard against further damage to the system.

On the mark 1 Lexus LS400 the compressor would go on and off during operation depending on the loading but on later models a new compressor was introduced with balanced pressure features that enabled constant operation. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links