Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SatNav map updates

2 hours ago, Mel_ire said:

So Anyone have any inside info on Scout GPS availability to the UK and if it will be a software upgrade

Extract from http://www.lexus.com/models/NX/technology

SCOUT® GPS LINK*

An intelligent alternative to onboard navigation, Scout® GPS Link uses a smartphone app to offer turn-by-turn directions via the multimedia display.

Separate from Lexus Enform* services and subscription-free, Scout GPS Link provides drivers with real-time traffic info, personalized commute times, automatic traffic avoidance and more.

Standard On: NX TURBO, NX 300h, NX TURBO F SPORT

Other links

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/08/24/lexus-to-add-smartphone-powered-navigation-system-to-select-2017-models/

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9075/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDgzNjIxODI3L3NpZC9NbVNONlc3bg%3D%3D

Unfortunately only an American thing. 

I believe google maps works via mirror link though 

Can't say I've had any issues with Lexus Nav either. Mine is 4.5 years old, didn't bother updating as roads don't change all that much. It's never let me down

3 minutes ago, Mel_ire said:

Does Mirror-Link work I read it didn't work... 

Works on the IS if you turn it on on your phone first and then the menu lights up. Usually it's just greyed out

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mel_ire said:

Rayaan

I can only assume your right I had previously read this thread

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-models-2015-present/768839-mirrorlink-function-on-lexus-nx-f-sport.html

Mel

Worth taking a test drive to make sure it works anyway. However,  even if it doesn't work, the sat nav is good enough. It's never not recognised a 7 digit postcode and always got me to where I want to be.

Just bought the £70 latest euro maps on official Lexus micro sd card from eBay as mentioned in this topic, however I am still finding the satnav itself just too dumb when it comes to routing, thinks very much like old sat navs of 10 years ago. The "quick" route nearly always shows as taking longer than the ecological and shortest options??? Modern sat navs are much more intelligent as the maps (in partcular TomTom) include historical traffic information. I'm torn as I do like the intergration of the system and don't want an ugly phone holder getting in the way.

Google maps navigation has come a huge way and tends to be very accurate for traffic (including central London where I drive) which is what I mainly use mine for, you can also download areas of the map for offline use. Lacks detail though and no speed info or cameras. Plus point though is that it's incredibly easy to search for places.

TomTom Go app next best thing but power hungry, Sygic too optimistic on route timings. Co-pilot, wouldn't bother.

• Like 1

I usually need the Lexus sat nav when I am about ten miles from my destination to guide me in.

On recent jaunts to a Sheffield reservoir, a Birmingham hotel and a festival in Ramsbottom in Lancashire it let me down at exactly the point I needed it the most.

It took me around the reservoir and then informed me I had arrive outside a pub that I had passed on the way into the village.

In Birmingham it didn't have a clue, and I didn't, where to direct me even with the hotels postcode input. I had to ask at a rival hotel for directions :lol:

Going to Lancashire it sent me through a housing estate that had a dead end, again having to ask directions.

I carry a Garmin in the boot for backup.

33 minutes ago, Verbout said:

I usually need the Lexus sat nav when I am about ten miles from my destination to guide me in.

On recent jaunts to a Sheffield reservoir, a Birmingham hotel and a festival in Ramsbottom in Lancashire it let me down at exactly the point I needed it the most.

It took me around the reservoir and then informed me I had arrive outside a pub that I had passed on the way into the village.

In Birmingham it didn't have a clue, and I didn't, where to direct me even with the hotels postcode input. I had to ask at a rival hotel for directions :lol:

Going to Lancashire it sent me through a housing estate that had a dead end, again having to ask directions.

This is shocking and my big concern, you spend £9995 for satnav  and £230 plus VAT for updates to be let down.  In 2017 I am sorry but it's just not acceptable in my opinion

On 1/4/2017 at 5:26 PM, Mel_ire said:

Voice Control ... does it understand you ..

On 1/4/2017 at 5:38 PM, NemesisUK said:

I was impressed with the Lexus VC, worked 'straight out of the box'...

The VC in a 2016 RC300h has been considerably improved in respect of its equivalent in a 2013 IS300h, which, presumably, was

an earlier-generation version.   Where the latter correctly recognized my commands five or six times out of ten if I was lucky, I now

get far more first-time hits than misses irrespective of the application - and despite the fact that my voice is no less croaky or my

enunciation any less slovenly.  As a result, I find myself appreciating the system more and more having previously almost entirely

given up on it.   Although I occasionally still used it to command the Navigation to guide me home, any attempts at other more

complicated Navigation entries or the Audio and Telephone functions were abandoned long ago because I could feel my blood

pressure going through the roof every time I was asked to repeat myself.   In short, although I am far from considering the system

to be indispensable, I do find it reliable and effective, as well as valuable in helping to avoid distractions otherwise inherent in

manually operating the infotainment when the car is in motion.  For this latter reason alone, its use should be encouraged.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 5:59 PM, Verbout said:

Although I have a RX450h with the high end navigation system, I have had exactly the same experience on a recent trip to Bristol and Cardiff. The peculiar choice of routes (via town centres when simpler bypass roads are available) and direction down dead ends certainly rings a bell with me. It seems particularly poor in cities as I was told to go right round roundabouts to U-turn on several occasions.

I checked the maps issued with the car (which was new in September 2016) and these are dated October 2015. I complained to my dealer who has confirmed that new cars being sold today also have these 15 month old maps. I don't think this is good enough for this level of vehicle.

Having just tried the updated maps it's still routing me down congested or slow urban streets when selecting "quick" mode to work, which coincidentally remains the longest timed route out of the 3 options. Streets that no other nav or nav app would ever consider the fastest route, which really makes me doubt the routing algorithms, and I must have used around 5 different navs/apps over the past 3 years or so for my commute in London.

Have to also say that I don't find the turn information particularly clear, i.e. which lane to be in, which roundabout exit. Many motorway signs are missing or it just shows ****** on the motorway exit view which is crazy when so many others offer an accurate real life view of motorway roadsigns.

Apparently the maps are so old as Lexus needs to verify the information and it takes HERE a year to collate the data, ridiculous. Already spotted many incorrect speeds that were changed many months ago. Bit peeved having just paid £70 quid for a map update however I'd be absolutely furious if I'd paid for the nav option!

Yes, I had an occasion where the voice guidance told me to go left where the main road I was on actually went straight on with only the slightest deviation to the left at the junction. Lane guidance?

As for urban streets, I have seen a lot of Cardiff back streets which I would never had experienced if it were not for the nav system! 

The motorway exit view (with the signs etc.) appears to only be displayed if you turn off the automatic zoom on the map as a junction is approached. Switching the zoom off also enables the pop-up local route screen which is disabled in preference to the zoom. One amusing feature is that if a motorway junction is signed with "Services" as the first entry on the sign then the voice announcement gives this instead of direction to an actual place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marrat said:

Shouldn't VC improvements be a simple software update? Why would it be worse on the IS compared to the new RC?

As far as I know, I'm sure you are right about VC improvements and software updates, at least in theory.  Personally I have never done

an update.  However, I recall my dealer doing one, unasked, in my IS300h early in 2014 (I'm afraid I have no record of the version numbers 

concerned), and I detected no improvement in the VC - or in anything else, for that matter.  As regards the VC being worse in an IS, my                                         

comparison was not between current models of each but between different generations.

Another thing I'm getting fed up of are "download not done" messages, have no idea of traffic info is just radio or internet at times, Google maps it is methinks! Would strongly recommend any sceptics to give it a shot, you'll miss out on speeds and speed cameras but gain the very latest map and incredibly accurate traffic info, all for nout but data usage.

Response from Lexus confirms:

I am afraid that we do not have free map updates across the Lexus vehicles, but you are correct in thinking that these updates are done at your local Lexus Centre.
It is advised that you update your maps every year, but this is your choice, the maps will still work if you do not update them, but obviously, will not be updated with the newest data.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding updating the Satellite Navigation on your Lexus IS300h.  Navigation updates are produced once a year by the manufacturer and can be purchased if required.  The process of collating the information for an update takes around a year in total, so the information for a 2016 vehicle will normally have been collected within the previous 12 months.  The very latest Map Version is 02-36-50 and if your screen version is lower than this number then an update will be available.  The update requires the car to be on site for up to two hours and the price for update is £230.11 including Vat.

even if you have an out of date satnav it will still get you to where you need to be so why bother paying so much

for an update that is almost certainly out of date when it come to release.

14 minutes ago, 200h said:

even if you have an out of date satnav it will still get you to where you need to be so why bother paying so much

for an update that is almost certainly out of date when it come to release.

Spot on Mark.

Paris is still where Paris was, as is Birmingham. No towns or cities have moved.

The majority of owners who wish to update are probably not owning their own cars or paying for their fuel ?

Regards

John

Roy - Very odd last sentence of your post.  What has that got to do with having a car that's 1 day old and then finding out if you want map updates you have to pay £230???

Also, I'd be grateful if you can tell me who will pay for my fuel.

lexus customers will largely be company owned cars so the cost of updates wont be an issue 

i think this is what John (roy) is meaning with his statement " probably not owning their own cars or paying for their fuel "

it has nothing to do with the age of a car

7 minutes ago, duncand said:

Roy - Very odd last sentence of your post.  What has that got to do with having a car that's 1 day old and then finding out if you want map updates you have to pay £230???

Also, I'd be grateful if you can tell me who will pay for my fuel.

Perhaps I should have said "owners" as in my experience it is Company Car drivers, not private owners who are renowned for speccing up their cars.

I see that Mark has already latched onto this point.

Sorry, If I confused you David.

Regards

John 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links