Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SatNav map updates

1 hour ago, Iseyrider said:

Still no info on when the next update is due. I am amazed Tazzman600 was quoted £400 for an SD card! 

I found this website 360.here.com which claims to update for many car manufacturers inc Toyota (not Lexus?) through Mapcare. The update is carried when a service is carried out as part of the service. Something for Lexus to consider?

I have even sent Lexus the images that I have posted on page 1 of this thread but they haven't replied.

22 hours ago, rayaans said:

You might be in luck. Lexus have teamed up with Scout GPS link in the US for 2017 models. It's an app on your phone which is a nav system and it can be used with the car essentially giving you another option.  Seems to have some interesting features too 

I did see that too, not sure why they are not even looking at Android or Apples versions? VW pretty much offer everything via a single extra

The SD cards are currently 220 Euros direct from Lexus at http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/ - the dealer that is quoting £400 is clearly making a large profit  

The latest version is PZ445-US335-0K which was released in April. 

I have bought my cards (and DVDs in the past) from an eBay seller in Ireland.  He currently has the latest card listed for about £80.00. Seller name is 'sergvia'

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blisteringblue said:

I did see that too, not sure why they are not even looking at Android or Apples versions? VW pretty much offer everything via a single extra

Im sure the original reason was that they have no control as to what direction the apple and Android versions are heading and therefore they'd prefer to use their own systems.

Met up with a family member yesterday, he has bought himself 2016 Audi and he reckons that the SatNav is absolute rubbish and,  he says he will be visiting the dealer for an in-depth discussion on the matter!

3 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Met up with a family member yesterday, he has bought himself 2016 Audi and he reckons that the SatNav is absolute rubbish and,  he says he will be visiting the dealer for an in-depth discussion on the matter!

Hmm odd, I thought they started using Google Maps now? They do on the virtual cockpit versions I think.

On 8/27/2016 at 10:42 AM, pobrown said:

The SD cards are currently 220 Euros direct from Lexus at http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/ - the dealer that is quoting £400 is clearly making a large profit  

The latest version is PZ445-US335-0K which was released in April. 

I have bought my cards (and DVDs in the past) from an eBay seller in Ireland.  He currently has the latest card listed for about £80.00. Seller name is 'sergvia'

Cheers almost tempted for £80, still too much though when 3 years of TomTom Go cost me £27 and that includes the holy grail of traffic info.

I still long for the day I can plug my phone in and see it on the screen.  Google Maps would be excellent too as I know TomTom isn't on the google approved list for Android Auto.   It really is going to stop me ordering another Lexus.   The new Passat GTE is topping my list at the moment.

• 4 months later...
On 25/08/2016 at 8:02 PM, rayaans said:

You might be in luck. Lexus have teamed up with Scout GPS link in the US for 2017 models. It's an app on your phone which is a nav system and it can be used with the car essentially giving you another option.  Seems to have some interesting features too 

Anyone know if this is going to be available in UK cars?

Thanks in advance

Mel

On 30/08/2016 at 7:19 PM, Blisteringblue said:

Cheers almost tempted for £80, still too much though when 3 years of TomTom Go cost me £27 and that includes the holy grail of traffic info.

I still long for the day I can plug my phone in and see it on the screen.  Google Maps would be excellent too as I know TomTom isn't on the google approved list for Android Auto.   It really is going to stop me ordering another Lexus.   The new Passat GTE is topping my list at the moment.

Tomtom is always going to be cheaper because of the increase in free nav apps and Google maps and also with the increase in nav being fitted as standard to some cars.

Google maps works with mirror link on the IS btw. 

When I received a quote for map updates for my 2007 GS300, I nearly fell over.  Went out and bought one of the latest Garman satnavs instead for less money and its a better system anyway, and I have free updates for life with it.  Haven't tried the newer Lexus satnavs but the old one worked well on the GS only the lack of full post code set up was unforgivable.

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

When I received a quote for map updates for my 2007 GS300, I nearly fell over.  Went out and bought one of the latest Garman satnavs instead for less money and its a better system anyway, and I have free updates for life with it.  Haven't tried the newer Lexus satnavs but the old one worked well on the GS only the lack of full post code set up was unforgivable.

Quite agree Paul,

When SATNAV's were only in top of the range cars 7 years ago I could let it slide, I remember when I tested a Mercedes in 2010 and they wanted £1500 for partial postcode address and a £80 TomTom or Garmin and you ad full post code.  But now when non-luxury models are offering full postcode support and Android and apple integration,  It makes you question why Luxury manufacturers are so slow on the uptake.

• Like 1

if the map updates where of an affordable price most owners would buy the updates

,i feel you have to be able to justify the cost as most drivers will go to the same place and take the same route everyday

so the sat nav is more of a toy waiting to be played with rather than a necessity.

• Like 1

Coming from Mercedes, I'm used to only 5 digit Post Code input. I mainly used the sat nav for traffic congestion notifications, which the Merc system was very good at. Still early days with the Lexus system but seems ok and fairly accurate.

The cost of the map updates isn't horrendous when viewed as cost over version lifespan 

6 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Coming from Mercedes, I'm used to only 5 digit Post Code input. I mainly used the sat nav for traffic congestion notifications, which the Merc system was very good at. Still early days with the Lexus system but seems ok and fairly accurate.

The cost of the map updates isn't horrendous when viewed as cost over version lifespan 

I use the satnav to mainly get to customers and new places, maybe it's laziness because I no longer look up where I'm going on the map before leaving, I rely on the technology much more.  Although I often take my own variant of a route to get nearby, I do however rely heavily on the nav software to get me to the door.  I also value the estimated time to arrive as it allows me to plan my day, stoppage times etc depending on how good my progress is along the way.

I am currently debating leasing a new NX300H F-Sport but this along with mpg concerns are holding me back from hitting the order button.

I do 2500-3500 miles a month and my test drive average was 27mpg.  My Q5 gives me 38mpg and the New Ford Edge (albeit a Ford) managed 40.5 and it's more like an RX size! 

The Scout GPS link software looks a great solution to my sat nav concerns but it's only documented about being available in the US in 2017 models.  Not sure if it's a software update on 2017 UK models.

The dealers I have spoken too either don't know or try to blag it.

Yes, ETA is very useful, (I often tried to beat it but that's another story :whistling: ) and I would use Google maps to pinpoint my destination, transferring that to the Merc COMAND system.

Voice control of the sat nav is superior in the Lexus but then it is 12yrs newer..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Yes, ETA is very useful, (I often tried to beat it but that's another story :whistling: ) and I would use Google maps to pinpoint my destination, transferring that to the Merc COMAND system.

Voice control of the sat nav is superior in the Lexus but then it is 12yrs newer..

5 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Ha ha isn't that the reason they give us an ETA?  :wink3:  so Lexus add the extra fun of maintaining optimum mpg/charging and ETA oh the fun......

Voice Control....  Does it understand you then..... I haven't tested given up with them after Mercedes and Audi.... Maybe I need to improve my German accent! :yahoo:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mel_ire said:

I use the satnav to mainly get to customers and new places, maybe it's laziness because I no longer look up where I'm going on the map before leaving, I rely on the technology much more.  Although I often take my own variant of a route to get nearby, I do however rely heavily on the nav software to get me to the door.  I also value the estimated time to arrive as it allows me to plan my day, stoppage times etc depending on how good my progress is along the way.

I am currently debating leasing a new NX300H F-Sport but this along with mpg concerns are holding me back from hitting the order button.

I do 2500-3500 miles a month and my test drive average was 27mpg.  My Q5 gives me 38mpg and the New Ford Edge (albeit a Ford) managed 40.5 and it's more like an RX size! 

The Scout GPS link software looks a great solution to my sat nav concerns but it's only documented about being available in the US in 2017 models.  Not sure if it's a software update on 2017 UK models.

The dealers I have spoken too either don't know or try to blag it.

An NX will get 35+mpg if you're doing those kind of mileages no problem. 

Test drive average is always low as the car barely gets time to get warm.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

An NX will get 35+mpg if you're doing those kind of mileages no problem. 

Test drive average is always low as the car barely gets time to get warm.

Rayaan,

Thanks, I think it's more a learning to drive a hybrid, towards the end of my 3 days with the car I was averaging 35-39 locally.  But I hadn't been on the motorway to see what it was like.

3 hours ago, Mel_ire said:

Rayaan,

Thanks, I think it's more a learning to drive a hybrid, towards the end of my 3 days with the car I was averaging 35-39 locally.  But I hadn't been on the motorway to see what it was like.

I agree. The trick is to keep momentum and I've found it helps mpg alot

• Like 1

So Anyone have any inside info on Scout GPS availability to the UK and if it will be a software upgrade

Extract from http://www.lexus.com/models/NX/technology

SCOUT® GPS LINK*

An intelligent alternative to onboard navigation, Scout® GPS Link uses a smartphone app to offer turn-by-turn directions via the multimedia display.

Separate from Lexus Enform* services and subscription-free, Scout GPS Link provides drivers with real-time traffic info, personalized commute times, automatic traffic avoidance and more.

Standard On: NX TURBO, NX 300h, NX TURBO F SPORT

Other links

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/08/24/lexus-to-add-smartphone-powered-navigation-system-to-select-2017-models/

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9075/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDgzNjIxODI3L3NpZC9NbVNONlc3bg%3D%3D

Checked with local Lexus dealer and to update my maps to 02-36-50 on my 7 month old IS300h will cost £230.11 incl. VAT and will take take up to 2 hours to do.  On my old Prius, I had free map updates for 3 years.  Think I'll use my Garmin with lifetime updates, when required.

The annoying thing is that I still can't get my satnav to give route avoidance or traffic alerts, even though I think it's set up correctly!!!!  I get route guidance with voice, but I get no warning of traffic problems.

7 minutes ago, duncand said:

Checked with local Lexus dealer and to update my maps to 02-36-50 on my 7 month old IS300h will cost £230.11 incl. VAT and will take take up to 2 hours to do.  On my old Prius, I had free map updates for 3 years.  Think I'll use my Garmin with lifetime updates, when required.

The annoying thing is that I still can't get my satnav to give route avoidance or traffic alerts, even though I think it's set up correctly!!!!  I get route guidance with voice, but I get no warning of traffic problems.

7 months old.... Isn't the first year included David?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links