Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre pressure guage

Hello folks, just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent quality, accurate and reliable tyre pressure gauge.  I have three gauges in my toolbox and they all give different readings and so obviously I don't know which, if any, are correct. I think that now it is time to get something decent.  I always check my pressures at home, never do it at a garage, I prefer it this way, but of course I need to know that I am getting it right, at least to within a smidgen of the required pressure.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

I have for some years owned a Michelin key-fob consisting of the Bibendum figure incorporating a tyre-pressure gauge.  I don't remember

where I got it,  but it must have been given to me when I had some Michelins fitted.   It's a bit of a naff object so I keep it well hidden deep

in my glove-compartment, but, on the evidence of several comparisons made with professional gauges, its readings are infallibly accurate.

And - who knows? - it may one day become a collector's item!

Hi Geoff, when I bought my new car I also bought a new tyre gauge. It was a 'Michelin digital pressure gauge,' I obtained it from, 'amazon,' and it cost about £23.90. It had one of the highest ratings at the time and has been used every week since. It is also easy to read and compact and as far as I can tell very accurate.

You are correct about checking your tyres at home, as they must be done whilst cold, mine are done after the weekly wash and I use a foot-pump to inflate them if needed. I keep my tyres at 2.65bar all round. If I had a tyre problem whilst out, I would check the other three tyre pressures to get the lowest pressure and refill the offending tyre just a little below that, this would allow for expansion, then check it after about 10km.  

As for the accuracy, well, above I used the words, "as far as I can tell," because there is no real bench mark to check it against, that I know of. Where does one take a gauge to be calibrated? each garage/tyre outlet gives slightly different readings. I suspect something similar to a home made gas pressure checker could be made, ( clear plastic tube, partly filled with water ) and adapted. - Open to comments on this.

Best wishes.

Michael. 

I was bought that RX tyre pressure gauge.

I checked it against my tube gauge that I've had since Adam was...... and they didn't agree.

I went to my local Indy and the tube gauge was accurate to their gauge.

The RX is easily calibrated by bending the internal Spring.

Thanks for the replies folks, I will do a bit of investigating.

Michael, I read some of the reviews on the Michelin Digital jobby that you mentioned. Everything seems fine with just a few comments being made about the seal being awkward when inflating.  Have you experienced this at all?

Hi Geoff,

only had a few problems like that. for the first couple of goes, since then it has been fine. It was just a simple matter of getting the angle correct over the tyre valve so it sealed well, then, after a few seconds, it makes a noise to tell me that it is ready to be read.

I bought it on 02/01/15 and it still has the original Battery, even though it's used weekly. The light is good and the storage bag is shaped to fit the gauge and is very sturdy. As mentioned, I inflate the tyres with a foot pump.

Not sure what it means, but amazon use the following to identify it,    AGIN B000V5F0XQ.  (£23.90).

Best wishes.

Michael. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links