Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

I keep my IS250 in the garage but wanted some views on paint protection for the winter. Can anyone recommend something to protect the paint than is not too tedious to apply?

Thanks

I had heard that permanent ones weren't a good idea (like the ArmourAll products) because of chemical bond they create to the paint, and the Carnauba based waxes were  better, even though there was more effort involved?

When they say permant, for 30.00 may last a year or 2 depending on the conditions the car sees. I am goiing to recompound my car in a couple of weeks

and i will reseal for winter.                                                                                                                           

23 minutes ago, djkenn said:

I had heard that permanent ones weren't a good idea (like the ArmourAll products) because of chemical bond they create to the paint, and the Carnauba based waxes were  better, even though there was more effort involved?

My understanding that carnauba which is natural wax would last only month, it won't damage the paint but protection is minimal. I believe the best application for carnauba is vintage and showroom cars, no point on daily driver. Then there comes synthetic ones, based on oil and containing silicone.. these are the cheapest kind you can find in supermarket, they do protect up to 3 month, but they can negatively affect paint and especially unpainted plastics (luckily IS250 has no such things), as well that is the thing you will usually get with car washes when buying shampoo+wax. And finally you have those so called nano-sealants based on various nano bonds, like Si+Ti etc. That kind of difficult to apply, car must be completely clean including previous sealants and products, so you almost like before painting, but if applied correctly they can last up to 2 years and even protect from scratching, give superior water and dirt repellency. I suggest look in youtube for some tutorials. 

Depends what you want.

If you want a ceramic sealant which will last 2 years, go for Cquartz UK. Its great stuff and just needs an occasional top up with the supplied Reload. Extremely easy to use as well unlike some coatings out there.

If you want something less permanent, go for a sealant like FK1000p or Soft99 Fusso for winter.

• Like 2

Or you could go the hole nine yards and get your car detailed and Gtechniq crystal serum professionally applied ( around £800 depending on the condition of your car, this would include a full detailing of the car ). It has a 7 year guarantee, although against what iam not to sure, I just have to take mine back to were I had it applied every year for them to inspect it. And that’s it no more treatment required for 7 years, and because of its very hard shell it will help to protect you soft paintwork.

Yes japanese paint work is soft , one of the reasons i applied Gtechniq coating. Did not have the new one when i did mine, I used C1.

I am going to detail my car in a couple of weeks , using a scholl honey pad and scholl S20 compound. Which is a fine cut and gloss finish.

Rupes bigfoot polishisher 15 throw. I did it when i purchased the car ,and have done a couple of black cars recently which were a knightmare.

Black needs to be done on really cool days, heats up like nothing else. Coatings are easy to do just prep the cars properly.

wash clay ip wipe down, so paint work is squeaky clean.

Thanks everyone. Lots to absorb there.

I'm going to try the Auto Finesse Tough Coat. My main concern is being able to prepare the car properly, but if I have a clear day with decent weather it should be achievable. I am really mostly interested in protecting the finish over winter, the car is in the garage most days but when I'm using it, it is almost always motorways. Yuck.