Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Toyo T1S or Conti SP6 or something else

Apologies if this has been asked before.  Did a search but couldn't find anything ISF/Toyo T1S relevant.  I am taking the ISF to the Ring next month and at present current tyre setup is....

Rear - Toyo T1S (about 60% tread left)

Front - Accelera (Don't laugh, were brand new on car when I bought it and I didn't actually realise how cheap and nasty they are).

I am planning on swapping out the fronts anyhow and prefer matching sets across axles (OCD).

So question is...

Do I stick Toyo's on front to match rear?  If so, has anyone got any experience with an ISF and Toyo's on a track (good or bad)

or

Swap out for Conti SP6's on all 4 corners (or MSS)

I have run Toyo's on most of my previous cars (Integra Type R's, S2000 & 350Z) but the ISF is obviously a slightly different beast.  Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Lee

I'll start with what I know of the T1R's. In a misguided move I fitted these to a high powered Quattro and found them to be an outdated, poor performing disappointment of a tyre. This was actually surprising considering my comparison on the same car was to a set of Falken....

My assumption is you will be missing out on the true capability of the car if you stick with these. I am presently on SP5's on the ISF which are ok but not outstanding, I will be swapping for a full set of sp6's before the end of the month, appear to be a very good all rounder and are used as OEM preference for many new high powered rear drive cars. MSS always highly regarded and you won't go wrong. Track performance go MSS, you don't give up much in all round performance. Estimate the SP6's loose to the MSS on track but gain a little in super wet and winter. Depends where your priorities lie, small margins either end. Either way I'd loose the T1R's, I know its a tough call knowing your present T1R's have good life in them. 

I'm due a pair of fronts soon and my money is leaning towards a full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Never been a fan of the Goodyear Eagle F1's currently on the rear. 

19 minutes ago, GibletPH said:

Another question to throw into the mix. Stock size or the uprated combo of 245/35/19 on the front and 275/30/19 on the rear?

Tbh, I will probably go uprated combo seeing as I am going to be swapping out all 4.  Price per corner isn't much more with the bigger size from black circles.

Ring prep for next month consists of...

4 new tyres

new pads on front + dot 4 fluid change

oil and filter change

Its a weekend at the Ring followed by an open pit lane day at Spa on the Monday.

Hopefully will have some tyres left ;-)

• Like 1

That sounds like a perfect holiday! Never been to the 'Ring but went to Spa for the F1 a few years ago and I've promised myself that I will drive the track one day. Eau Rouge flat out in an ISF would be fun :wub:

Did some digging recently on tyres and the Continental sport contact 6 get amazing reviews ahead of all their rivals so lobbed a set on my lotus. Took the car around the ring over the weekend and they bloomin stick. The pirelli p zero tyres designed for the Evora would break loose in conditions the continentals simply will not. They get my vote.

7 hours ago, GibletPH said:

That sounds like a perfect holiday! Never been to the 'Ring but went to Spa for the F1 a few years ago and I've promised myself that I will drive the track one day. Eau Rouge flat out in an ISF would be fun :wub:

The Ring is hit and miss (literally) on tourist weekends but we mainly go for the beer and the banter.  Plus it's the only time you will see a Plumbers Van side by side around a corner with a Porsche GT3 RS (I am not joking either.  He even had the ladders on the roof).

Spa will be my 1st time so I will be driving like Nanna Moon at 1st.  Then see about this flat out Eau Rouge business ;-)

2 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Did some digging recently on tyres and the continental sport contact 6 get amazing reviews ahead of all their rivals so lobbed a set on my lotus. Took the car around the ring over the weekend and they bloomin stick. The pirelli p zero tyres designed for the Evora would break loose in conditions the continentals simply will not. They get my vote.

I think the 6's are winning me over at the moment.

6's have won.

Ordered the updated 245/275 combo through a friend of mine who works for Kwikfit.

£600 fitted for all 4 :-)

He is also going to check alignment for me.

Should be going on next week :-)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

6's have won.

Ordered the updated 245/275 combo through a friend of mine who works for Kwikfit.

£600 fitted for all 4 :-)

He is also going to check alignment for me.

Should be going on next week :-)

That is a fine fine price for 4 new donuts fitted. Wish I had friends like that.

In the market for new rears as well and likely to go for the Conti 6 as well (replacing Bridgestone RE050). I had previously thought of replacing with Goodyear Assym 2 or Michelin Pilot SS but seems that Contis are well ahead. Any thoughts on whether the Assym 3 or Pilot Sport 4 would be anyway closer to Conti ?

On a related point, was going to stick with Stock size but is there any kind of modification required to go to 275/30 ?

Don't have any access to any kind of discounted tyres so will have to buy online and have shipped to Dublin - what is the best site for pricing / reliability ?

Cheers,

Gavan

1 hour ago, Cargav said:

In the market for new rears as well and likely to go for the Conti 6 as well (replacing Bridgestone RE050). I had previously thought of replacing with Goodyear Assym 2 or Michelin Pilot SS but seems that Contis are well ahead. Any thoughts on whether the Assym 3 or Pilot Sport 4 would be anyway closer to Conti ?

On a related point, was going to stick with Stock size but is there any kind of modification required to go to 275/30 ?

Don't have any access to any kind of discounted tyres so will have to buy online and have shipped to Dublin - what is the best site for pricing / reliability ?

Cheers,

Gavan

Funnily enough, my subscription of Evo popped through the door today and the Conti 6's won the test with GY ASSM 3 joint second with Yoko's.

MPSS came 5th I think and won the outright dry test but the Conti 6 was named best all rounder.

As far as bigger size on standard rims.  AFAIK there is no modification needed.

I usually order my tyres from blackcircles (not sure if they ship to Dublin).  This time my friend stepped in as he is a chief MOT tester at KwikFit in Dorset so mentioned he could get tyres sourced and fitted for me for a bit less than online.

On 8/7/2016 at 5:23 AM, GibletPH said:

I've read a few comments on the wear rate of the CSC6 which are making me lean towards the PSS instead. Will be interesting to hear how you get on with yours. 

I have read similar things as well.

Ring Trip (with Spa) is 9 - 13th of Sept.  I will post some before and after pics of the rear.  Hopefully still attached to the car ;-)

They are on :-)  

Not actually driven it yet though as my mate picked it up, fitted said tyres and returned it.

Tyres were a day late in arriving so a further £50 off.

£550 all 4 fitted :-)

IMG-20160812-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20160812-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20160812-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20160812-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20160812-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20160812-WA0005.jpg

• Like 1

Voodoo, really looking forward to hearing how you get on with the new tyres and the bigger widths. 

Are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports yesterday's news compared to the CSC6s then? 

Don't think they are yesterdays news by any means.  Evo Tyre Test 2016 stated that in the dry, the MPSS was unmatched and was a better track tyre.  The Conti Sport 6 won the test as the best all rounder.  I chose them as I spend most my time driving with my 1 year old daughter in the back and live in sunny England :-)

I think anything compared to the Accelera's that were on the front would be an improvement though.

I do have 2 rear Toyo T1S tyres sat in my garage with aprox. 50% wear left on them now though that came off the car Friday (I told my mate to bin the Accelera's).  Free to a good home if someone wants to pick them up.  Doubt they would be worth anything on eBay.

Next couple of weeks will see yellow stuff pads, DOT 4 brake fluid change and an oil and filter change completed. She (Lichelle the Lexus) should be ready for "Ze Autobahn" on the way down to Nurberg so I can see how many German whips are still limited to 155mph ;-)

I'd pop the old tyres on eBay. I had some mostly worn tyres for my S2000 sat in the garage for a year until I decided whether or not to bin them. eBay - £120. 

The previous owner of my car fitted Yellowstuff pads. He found no real performance gains but they were MUCH harder on the OEM discs. It was for this reason I was lucky to get my car with very recently replaced front discs (and OEM pads!) as the EBC pads had totally chewed the old discs up! YMMV, obviously! 

Good luck with the Ring trip. Very jealous!! 

On 8/14/2016 at 4:35 AM, mrfunex said:

I'd pop the old tyres on eBay. I had some mostly worn tyres for my S2000 sat in the garage for a year until I decided whether or not to bin them. eBay - £120. 

The previous owner of my car fitted Yellowstuff pads. He found no real performance gains but they were MUCH harder on the OEM discs. It was for this reason I was lucky to get my car with very recently replaced front discs (and OEM pads!) as the EBC pads had totally chewed the old discs up! YMMV, obviously! 

Good luck with the Ring trip. Very jealous!! 

May give e-bay a go.  May get me a tank of fuel for the Ring (My old 350Z did 4 laps to every one tank brim to fuel warning light)

I have heard mixed things regarding Yellowstuff.  I know the older compounds were very harsh on brake discs.  Brembo discs are relatively cheap from Euro Car Parts at the minute (aprox. £180 a pair) so worst case scenario (assuming brake pads don't crumble) is that I replace them once I get back home if the discs are munched.

Will also be taking my normal brake pads with me (aprox. 60% wear left) just in case and will get my brother (mechanic) to swap them over while in Germany if the EBC's are rubbish.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Would be interested to see how the yellowstuff's do, as you did I have read differing reviews on them. Some first hand feedback in a super tough environment will be great so looking forward to that.

On eurocarparts, sure you know so apologies but at least once a month they have a 30% off everything, I paid just £119.70 for my pair of front brembo discs. I just wait for their email notification to drop in then pay them a visit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links