Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

wierd creek from cabin ventilation

i have the cabin temp set to 20 degrees for 1st thing in the morning, when i start the car i get a creak sound

this morning when i started my car it didnt happen until i turn the temp from LO to 20 degrees (warm day on thursday)

are there servo's to control the water valve for the cabin temperature.

if you listen to the audio file between 11 secs and 14 secs you will hear the noise

has anyone else had this issue, if you did what is the cause .

forgot to mention aircon is off

creek.m4a

i paid a visit to my dealer on thursday and let them hear the sound clip,phil the service manager

wasn't in and yesterday he asked me to send him the audio clip as he thinks its probably normal

and will compare this to another IS,it needs to be sorted as my 3yr warranty expires on the 31st August

5 hours ago, 200h said:

i paid a visit to my dealer on thursday and let them hear the sound clip,phil the service manager

wasn't in and yesterday he asked me to send him the audio clip as he thinks its probably normal

and will compare this to another IS,it needs to be sorted as my 3yr warranty expires on the 31st August

Well you've registered it already so it doesnt matter if it goes over the 31st of August.

Its not normal, haven't heard it on any IS (or any other Lexus)

Hi Mark,

Ive Heard the same creek noise at start up it just thought it was me being picky  ( Ive got the Cabin Temp set at 18 degrees) would be interested in your outcome as my car due a service soon. let us know how you got on with it. 

Hi Phil

before you leave your car at night set the temp to LO and see if it does the noise in the morning

if it doesn't do it initially raise the temp as see if it happens then.

if my temp is set above LO the noise happens straight away if its set on LO its quiet until i raise the temp setting.

i am going to do a video of me starting the car with the temp on LO then raising the temp for the noise to happen

i'll pass this onto lexus so they can see the issue and when it happens.

after passing the sound file to my dealer yesterday they have emailed me today saying its a strange noise

they havent heard before and will investigate when my car is in for its 1st mot on the19th of August.

1 hour ago, 200h said:

Hi Phil

before you leave your car at night set the temp to LO and see if it does the noise in the morning

if it doesn't do it initially raise the temp as see if it happens then.

if my temp is set above LO the noise happens straight away if its set on LO its quiet until i raise the temp setting.

i am going to do a video of me starting the car with the temp on LO then raising the temp for the noise to happen

i'll pass this onto lexus so they can see the issue and when it happens.

after passing the sound file to my dealer yesterday they have emailed me today saying its a strange noise

they havent heard before and will investigate when my car is in for its 1st mot on the19th of August.

I've found that it is worse when it's a very warm day and you move temperature to highest setting the creaking is even louder than doing small increments 

3 hours ago, 200h said:

i do feel a bit better knowing i am not the only one with this issue

Must be a silver car thing!! :P

Ive never heard that noise before, it sounds really odd. I wonder how many other owners have this noise.

Did it just occur now or has it been there a while?

it first started about 1 month ago but randomly ,its more of a daily occurance now but only 1st thing in the morning.

i'm sure mines satin silver also, maybe its a no charge optional extra thats supplied as standard on silver cars

shame you have a white car rayaan

1 hour ago, 200h said:

it first started about 1 month ago but randomly ,its more of a daily occurance now but only 1st thing in the morning.

i'm sure mines satin silver also, maybe its a no charge optional extra thats supplied as standard on silver cars

shame you have a white car rayaan

Lol agreed - it must be something to do with the temperature being high. Id assume its caused something to expand and hence cause the noise.

I have this also. Never bothered me as only lasts 2-3 seconds and I'm normally putting on seat belt etc.. I would have thought it's a flap opening or thermostat or something. Interested to know outcome.

I've had more of an issue when a stale smell from aircon during summer season. Despite a/c clean and cabin filter change Lexus still haven't fixed.

21 hours ago, Eire Lexus said:

I have this also. Never bothered me as only lasts 2-3 seconds and I'm normally putting on seat belt etc.. I would have thought it's a flap opening or thermostat or something. Interested to know outcome.

I've had more of an issue when a stale smell from aircon during summer season. Despite a/c clean and cabin filter change Lexus still haven't fixed.

Have you tried spraying an anti bacterial spray into the vents of you're AC to clear the smell?

Yes I've tried all. Dealership had said its a design fault where water lodges and becomes stale. Not sure if true or if they were lazy. It a lease car so let it go. If my own car I'd have gone further. Thankfully it only lasts about 10 seconds buts it's not pleasant, only happens during warm summer months. No issue in winter.

You get strange smells with most cars AC. Every so often I buy one of those supermarket bacterial sprays, put the system on low, crank the blower up, recirculating on and spray the stuff into the windscreen vents until my trigger finger hurts :lol:

I once had a strong smell of mildew from the aircon vents of a month-old BMW 328ix.  The problem was diagnosed as stagnating water, and 

resolved by hot air being blown into the vents simultaneously with the heating system itself being set to maximum.   This was more than twenty

years ago when systems were less advanced, but the technique may be worth a try.

• Like 1

Mine has been doing this for a while now, although seems to be getting worse just as my car has gone out of warranty :(

Doesn't do it enough yet to be able to locate the noise, I suspect it is one of the air diversion flaps.

• 2 weeks later...

an update for the thread

my car had its mot today they aso looked at the creek ,lexus have ordered some servo's so in due course my car will be back in to have them fitted

worryingly they aren't sure if the dash has  to come out but they are hoping not.

when the job is done i will update the forum

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks later and the dealership has told me lexus dont feel the servo is where the noise is coming from

and the whole dashboard is going to come out so they can find the creeky part ,its going in on the 19th

of september and i have a courtesy car for a week hopefully this will be enough time for them to find the noisy part,

receive the replacement parts and re assemble WITHOUT any rattles and creaks being thrown in foc. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

an update for the forum

lexus are now replacing the entire ventillation system in the car

luckily its being done under warranty,so my advice is if you have

a strange creak when you adjust the temperature get it back to the dealer asap.

hopefully i will have my car back mid / late next week.

That's a great result and I hope it fixes things.

Having just returned from BMW ownership and having read countless threads on failed coil packs / Injectors / Turbos / waste gate rattles / overheating etc its nice to get back to dashboard creaks and not that much else :wink3:...oh yeah and the odd caliper sticking. 

Can you update when its done - it will be nice to know the exact cause.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2016 at 11:55 AM, Verbout said:

You get strange smells with most cars AC. Every so often I buy one of those supermarket bacterial sprays, put the system on low, crank the blower up, recirculating on and spray the stuff into the windscreen vents until my trigger finger hurts :lol:

Every couple of months I sprayed frebreze into the vent just under the windscreen wipers believe this is the air intake for ventilation system seems,run blower on full and spray  as much or as little into the vent and allow to circulate for 10 minutes seems to get rid of any smells.