Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scum - stolen car

On 26/08/2016 at 4:28 PM, gumball3000 said:

I looked to 2 XFR's before i got the ISF . I like the look of them a lot. But the rarity of the ISF and the fact that mine's white sold it for me.

both my ISFs were white....only colour for them I think.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lotusdave said:

very nice. Not really a direct replacement style or space wise, but the engine is glorious so enjoy it. 

All the cars I have had are just toys really. The lexus replaced a Cayman, completely differing cars.

The XKR is defo more GT than sports car - but still fun.

On 25 August 2016 at 7:59 AM, aidanjaye said:

Yes...scum left it parked up for 12 hours. Car was reported to police but by the time they had got around to going to reported sighting....it was gone (11 hrs later).

Sounds typical, bet you got an instant crime number though!

Good idea regarding an old mobile phone for tracking or even better an old Iphone with the "find my iphone" activated, hide it well and leave permanently connected to the car's 12 volt Battery, even if the thieves disconnect the car Battery the phone will remain on until its internal Battery dies.

11 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Good idea regarding an old mobile phone for tracking or even better an old iphone with the "find my iphone" activated, hide it well and leave permanently connected to the car's 12 volt battery, even if the thieves disconnect the car battery the phone will remain on until its internal battery dies.

But doesn't the phone need to be able to access the Internet In order to report its position via gps?

12 minutes ago, Verbout said:

But doesn't the phone need to be able to access the Internet In order to report its position via gps?

A cheap £5 a month sim in the phone and bobs your uncle. Usual tactic seems to be to dump the car somewhere for 12-24 hours and see if it's tracked. If it isn't then they take it away to strip/ring/sell. 

37 minutes ago, GibletPH said:

A cheap £5 a month sim in the phone and bobs your uncle. Usual tactic seems to be to dump the car somewhere for 12-24 hours and see if it's tracked. If it isn't then they take it away to strip/ring/sell. 

Agreed but if you don't use the sim, I have experienced this, you lose the credit after a few months.

O2 cancelled the sim in my tracker due to it not being used leaving my car tracker useless.

6 hours ago, Verbout said:

Agreed but if you don't use the sim, I have experienced this, you lose the credit after a few months.

O2 cancelled the sim in my tracker due to it not being used leaving my car tracker useless.

That is true for a PAYG sim but the £5 a month sim only monthly ones should be fine since it will be on a 12 month contract. 

• Like 1

Assuming you want the car back after some scrot has ragged the tits off it , kirbing both alloys at approx 40 mph, no doubt throwing suspension out of aline, and then plowing it through a field .....

......not to mention that my wife wouldnt even sit in the car if it was returned.

She even considered moving to a different area....thats how ****** off she was. Unfortunately car crime has no boundries, apart from the fact that it tends to be nicer areas with nice cars that get hit

I am sure you can claim sufficient compensations from insurance for all scratches and dents.. and maybe even make some "profit" after selling the car rather than battling insurance with their ludicrous £14k offers. 

It is more about principal justice, than really getting the car back. As well getting those scums behind the bars so that they cannot harm anyone else. Back where I am from I would just fit GPS and don't even report it to police.. do real justice myself.

(that last sentence was joke btw, maybe something I dreamed about... :whistling:)

On 8/29/2016 at 10:12 AM, steve2006 said:

Good idea regarding an old mobile phone for tracking or even better an old iphone with the "find my iphone" activated, hide it well and leave permanently connected to the car's 12 volt battery, even if the thieves disconnect the car battery the phone will remain on until its internal battery dies.

I would argue that Iphone is by far not the best choice. You can get new Android phone for as cheap as £20, which would have more accurate GPS + it would show not only the current location, but whole history of locations. It can even work without mobile data plan purely on GPS, which means you don't require the SIM at all. Obviously, most accurate and fastest way of tracking would be GLONASS + GPS + GPS-A which would require SIM with 3G, but it is possible to get one for £5/month and you can even buy plan after event as well. Basically, you get giffgaff (or similar) sim which costs £10 to activate and which is active for 12 months, the only thing you need to do is to top-up it once a year thereafter.. and you can even use existing credit to buy a plan once you have your car stolen to track it (if you not happy with GPS only option).

If you don't want to fiddle with phone options.. the dedicated tracking devices with lifetime reporting can be bough for as cheap as £50.

Sadly all this would only work on total roughness, because any more "educated" scum will have one of these ( and will probably leave your car alone.. which is not a bad thing):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Spy-Signal-Hidden-Detector-Camera/dp/B00UMZCFYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472565688&sr=8-3&keywords=bug+finder

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/08/2016 at 9:39 PM, aidanjaye said:

20160828_182225.jpg

How are you finding the XKR after having owned it for a few weeks now? It's on my shortlist of cars to own and it may end up replacing the ISF whenever I do decide to change. Having drive an XFR with the same engine the sheet amount of torque is brilliant. 

• 1 month later...

Hey Giblet,

Been a while since I have been on forum as of working abroad.

Getting on really well with XKR. A lot more comfortable than ISF, and surprisingly gearbox on jag is better than ISFs. Performance wise - not much in it really. Suppose all depends if you can live with 2+2 or need four seats. Mines is the 4.2 supercharged version, which while grunty, is a good bit down on power compared to the 5.0ltr XKRs. The XKR I got had the 400mm Alcon brakes, which was a must for me. Don't know if they are any better than standard XKR brakes but they look lovely and are a must for the 20" wheels.

Still messing with insurance company on payout. Seems our ISFs are worth about 75-80% of what they retail second hand for??? Just hope forum members never have to get in same position as me. Try buying a A1 condition for 16K???

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aidanjaye said:

Seems our ISFs are worth about 75-80% of what they retail second hand for??? Just hope forum members never have to get in same position as me. Try buying a A1 condition for 16K???

I think I'll be getting GAP insurance sorted.

39 minutes ago, lotusdave said:

sorry, have a missed what the ombudsmen said about the value?

I think @aidanjaye said " Still messing with insurance company on payout. Seems our ISFs are worth about 75-80% of what they retail second hand for??? Just hope forum members never have to get in same position as me. Try buying a A1 condition for 16K??"?

3 hours ago, lotusdave said:

sorry, have a missed what the ombudsmen said about the value?

They are saying insurance company is fine with valuations - to which I said NO. So being reviewed.

All well and good using glasses guide and such for say a IS200, when plenty have sold so easy to get average. But with only a handful of ISFs for sale, surely easier to just go by retails figures?

Industry figures do not really account for rare vehicles - hence why and average is taken across the model range. So if a IS200 is worth 30% of retail after 5 years - this figure is utilised for ISFs, even though figure is more like 45%.

Ask an insurer for book price of following - decent Peugeot 205 GTI, Honda S2000, Lotus Exige.....I bet its well below what you can actually buy one for. Unfortunately with decent ISFs being few and far between - think they may fall into same bracket.

Hi aiden, I work in insurance and can confirm that this is a fundamentally unfair situation for isf owners. The book values are based on all sales of isf (but not any other models in the range). Although retail prices are above even the top book values, the average sale price is dragged down by dealer trade ins and auctions, plus ropey examples and previous write offs. With so few isfs trading hands these have a big effect on the overall average. Therefore the book price is the correct average paid price but a normal punter is unlikely to actually be able to buy one for a book price.

Most insurance policies only promise to pay market value for your car rather than the actual replacement value so the ombudsman is unlikely to find in your favour if you've already been offered the top book value sorry. My heart goes out to you. 

The only way to defend against this is GAP or an agreed value, which doesn't help you. Just let me know if you need any other advice.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links