Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Efficient grip or asymmetric 3

Been using Efficient Grip (both front and back) for over 5k miles... Treadwear still like new, excellent grip in corners and still one of the best in terms of tyre ratings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got efficient grip on my LS and they seem fine. A couple of weeks ago I bought Avon Tyres for my Volvo and was surprised to see they were made in England. My Pirelli tyres tramlined badly but the Avon's are excellent.

To clarify, my son's VW Polo has the Efficient Grip on them and no issues whatsoever. Soft sidewall though, so they will look slightly deflated even at the right pressure

1 minute ago, madasahatter said:

Tyres are what keep us on the road. So buy what you are happy with and can afford. And to say they are wasted is utter rubbish.

Well they don't suit the car, the IS is no sports car. As I said they are in the ultra high performance category so are noisy and wear quickly compared to other categories, compromises Goodyear have to make to get the grip levels to where a high performance car demands.

No one is suggesting fitting some cheap part-worn remoulds, EfficientGrip or other tyres equal to OEM performance, or one level up, don't compromise your safety. Do you also feel the need to replace all the IS brakes with 4 pot Supra or IS F brembo brakes - these are after all what actually stop your vehicle. 

I have already looked at upgrading brakes. Have done so on most cars i have owned. On the plus side lexus are not bad brakes ,compared to skoda vrs.

Which are terrible at fading. And saying a tyre does not suit a car is ridiculous. Is is not a sports car i agree, i own 3 sets of lexus wheels 2 summer and 1 winter.

My winters have michelin pilot sports on is that also overkill. My summers have falken and dunlops on, so as you can see i run a varity of tyres.

Best on Is so far is Goodyear. So you dont run good years on your Is what do you run?

I went for Goodyear Efficientgrip on the front and have found them to be very good and no tramlining. Previously had stock Turanzas ...horrible for tramlining.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 on the back as the Efficientgrip were not made in my rear tyre size. Again found them to be very good and much quieter than my previous Turanzas. I believe Goodyear do now make the 255.40.18 variant. 

By the way John, make sure you get 4 wheel alignment done afterwards and then every 12/18 months (keeping an eye on wear signs) or so after. Yes, it costs a bit £70 ish but its worth it for the price of the tyres you've forked out for.

You'll find the car feels much more 'planted' on the road and drives so much better ... at least, that's what I found.

I've just had all 4 refurbed and then 4 wheel aligned. Lexus just cannot make wheels .. mine were starting to blister and peel quite badly on the spokes. They now look super. Dreading the first time I touch a kerb.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2016 at 6:18 PM, normski2 said:

By the way John, make sure you get 4 wheel alignment done afterwards and then every 12/18 months (keeping an eye on wear signs) or so after. Yes, it costs a bit £70 ish but its worth it for the price of the tyres you've forked out for.

You'll find the car feels much more 'planted' on the road and drives so much better ... at least, that's what I found.

I've just had all 4 refurbed and then 4 wheel aligned. Lexus just cannot make wheels .. mine were starting to blister and peel quite badly on the spokes. They now look super. Dreading the first time I touch a kerb.

Thats interesting my local well known tyre fitters told me there was no allignment adjustment possible  on the rears ?   

For the record i had asymetric 3 all round, replacing the asy' 2  and they do seem to be a all round improvement so far ! 

I had the all round geometry done at my local F1 autocentre and I mention this beforehand, asking whether the rear could be adjusted, was quoted £50, guy said if the rear couldn't be done it would only be £20 for front.

I was charged £50 so either I've been done, or it was done all round.

Just now, Pablo43 said:

Looks like my local F1 autocenter have 'putting in kindly' inexperienced staff then :wink3:

I was told few times, that certain autocenters don't have right equipment to do rear axle on Lexus IS. I did mine in ATS.