Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi 

New owner of the gs450h so loads of questions hope you can help please. I noticed that every morning and too often after I parked my car for few hours it always starts on engine and it cuts off to Battery after few mins. The one feature that impressed be on the gs is how silently it starts but this is not seems to be the real case here. The Battery was less than half charged usually when I park. 

I find it usually starts on engine more too often than in Battery mode. IT is not too cold though it is about 15 to 19 c . Is this normal? How is the starting patter on your GS please share.

I dont feel like there is an issue with hybrid system. so far it works well I get aroung 32mpg around town and it charges well too. I am planning to do a hybrid Battery check with Lexus next week.  

Mine is the same as yours Harry. The engine will always fire up when the Computer determines that the Hybrid Battery is not sufficiently charged to drive the car .Best brim to brim mpg I have had is 38mpg on a busy and high speed run to Hannover.

Regards

John

• Like 1

It has been normal for me Harry. I move off for short distances only after a longish drive.

When we brake or decelerate we are putting charge in to the Hybrid Battery. Change your view to see the effect on the screen. I find it compelling viewing.

I have never heard nor read of, any Gen3 driver seeing the Hybrid Battery showing full charge!

Enjoy the Rocket Ship and (try) to observe the speed limits!!!!!!

Regards

John

• Like 1

Thanks John

Have to tell I have been driving sensibly and under speed limit compared to my old IS220d but I guess having the energy monitor and conciseness of running on electric motor makes me go gentle on the right foot. 

I 12c still tool cold for the engine to kick in on start up? I just drove to work when started the Battery was almost full just one bar down. Still I can hear the engine running but from the energy monitor I cant see it is charging the Battery. It run for only few mins and cut off. when i was parking the car I can see the car was running on electric but i can still hear the engine whispering. the below pic i took this morning when the engine was still running but my Battery was almost charged fully from last night. And my air con was off. I don't really use it all the time only  when needed. 

20160815_075712_resized.jpg

Thanks Harry.

I do not think I have ever seen my Battery in such a high state of charge.

I`ve done 23,000 in last 3 years and have not used it in last 3 moths due to illness. My wife might take me out in it later today.....I hope it starts !!

Regards

John

Catchhster, I get exactly the same every time I start mine. The fact that I live in a 20mph area and so drive slowly, using the Battery, as I near home means that it is pretty depleted when I restart it.

I was also disappointed that it started by engine each morning but that just seems to be the way it is.

• Like 1

My experience is that if all the bits are nice and warm and Battery has reasonable charge it will move off on Battery. Otherwise, even on a hot day, if the bits are cold the engine will start.

I think salespersons know this so if you have an appointment to view a car will be all nice and warm and move off on Battery very impressively so you buy the car. I did.

I have seem my Battery fun occasionalyl.

John

• Like 2

GS is a Hybrid vehicle, not an electric one, and this means that  Thermal and electric engines work together: starting the car, Thermal engine has to raise working temperature as soon as possible to obtain low emissions so, even with charged HV Battery, if cold Thermal engine is forced to start. 

• Like 2

Thanks all

It is good to hear it is normal. Things are never warm in this country

@royoftherovers  wish u a full recovery soon. The fact I have almost full charge on yhe above picture is I dove a bit hard up hill and tried to coast and regenerate on a downhill and got it to almost fully charged. (was just trying to charge fully) It was hard I had to concentrate lot to drive that way.  

Thanks

H

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catchhster said:

Same here I am sure it will be easy to find. So far I have not spotted a singe GS around  

H,

My wife has just taken me for a drive. Hooton, MORETON, MEOLS, WEST KIRBY, HESWALL and back to Hooton.

When she started the car after 3 months of standing, it fired up instantly and showed one Bar on the display. When we arrived home it was showing four Bars. She switched off and I backed it into the driveway on electric power only.

Hope this information is of use.

Regards

John

The car will always run on the engine until the cats warm up. This is to reduce emissions.

The Battery even when showing only one bar of charge is still more than 40% charged. The minimum charge with no bars showing is 40% charged the minimum the cars computer will allow under normal circumstances.

When all the bars are showing this represents a Battery level of 80% charge. Again the maximum the computer will allow.

If you run out of fuel and continue to drive on electric this can reduce the Battery level to a point where the car will no longer start. This means an expensive trailer lift to the dealer for a recharge to a level for the car to start.  

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

The car will always run on the engine until the cats warm up. This is to reduce emissions.

The battery even when showing only one bar of charge is still more than 40% charged. The minimum charge with no bars showing is 40% charged the minimum the cars computer will allow under normal circumstances.

When all the bars are showing this represents a battery level of 80% charge. Again the maximum the computer will allow.

If you run out of fuel and continue to drive on electric this can reduce the battery level to a point where the car will no longer start. This means an expensive trailer lift to the dealer for a recharge to a level for the car to start.  

Thanks for info 

yes I am aware that the 450h are not designed to run out of fuel but thanks again you just explained the reason behind it. So we have to be very carefull not to run out fuel if you do DO NOT TRY TO START YOUR ENGINE. call for help or walk 

Thanks

Hari

I do not know if this applies to the GS450H, but the Prius "still uses the same basic hybrid system" requires at leased 3 gallons of fuel put in if it is run out of fuel. The computer does not allow the car to start until this amount is put in. So one gallon may well not get you going.

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

The battery even when showing only one bar of charge is still more than 40% charged. The minimum charge with no bars showing is 40% charged the minimum the cars computer will allow under normal circumstances.

When all the bars are showing this represents a battery level of 80% charge. Again the maximum the computer will allow.

If you run out of fuel and continue to drive on electric this can reduce the battery level to a point where the car will no longer start. This means an expensive trailer lift to the dealer for a recharge to a level for the car to start.  

Thanks John.That information is very useful.

Regards

John

Hi All,

Just got my car back from Lexus after Hybrid Health Check And the fuel pressure gasket recall done. Mine passed the HHC with no issues so I get additin 12months warranty on the Battery

Couple of things i noticed after I got the car back my Tyre pressure sensor showing a warning now. Lexus saying they have not touched it may a bump on the way back I am not sure I am just going to put fill the tyres with correct pressure and reset the Tpw. I believe the reset button right under the steering column. 

Also not sure if it due to the recent visit to Lexus My breaks squeals at low speed and while reversing.  It also happens in the morning when I start the car and use my breaks for the first time Is this normal?

Thanks

Hari

Kaycee is right, just pump the tyres up and the light will go out.

I also had squealing brakes, around six months after getting the pads and discs replaced. I took it to my Lexus dealer who spent two hours with it but was "unable to replicate the fault". I managed to "replicate" it twice within the first 100 yards of leaving the dealer.

I don't know how common it is but the dealer did say that they get the one one in with that fault.

Thanks Mike and KayCee

I did try to reset the tpws using the button below it dint go away. pumped the tyres up in the end. one of the tyres were like 25psi . Pumped it up and it disappeared within few seconds of driving

Regarding breaks doesnt bother me too much but it is noticable when it happens. I think Lexus should find the fault and fix it. When it sequels it is a bit embarrassing for such a silent car. I remember my dealer saying they replaced the discs when i picked up the car. May be to do with new discs. 

Thanks

Hari

Hi All

And my TPWS come back on again, Turned out to be a slow puncture. Got it fixed by local garage. It was a small screw bolted into the tyres.!! I am pretty sure it was in the Lexus garage. I know it could happen anywere but in my case i got the warning straight after I drove back home from lexus service centre so i am pretty sure it was picked up in the garage. But i am not going to blame them for this I just got it fixed. 

And Got the break squeak fixed this morning. When i picked up the car it had new discs and pads fitted. They did not grease it properly so it was rubbing against the disc and making a high pitched noise. All sorted for a cost of 30 min labour. 

Thanks

Hari