Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Radio switches on/off by itself

Three times in so many weeks the audio system in my RX450h has switched itself either on or off without me having pressed any button.

The first time, the radio switched itself on... and I assumed that I'd hit the steering wheel button while going around a roundabout. However the second and third time, the radio switched itself off, and this could not be down to me as you need to press the steering wheel button for at least a couple of seconds for the radio to switch off.

Any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Happened again at lunch time. I was sitting in traffic, minding my own business and enjoying some peace and quiet... and the radio came on.

Car going for MOT... and I'll ask and report back...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes: While the car was in for its MOT late last week, I asked the dealer to look into it and they did some research internally. They have put forward a warranty claim and which is now waiting for approval.

I should know more later in the week.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer phoned yesterday and confirmed that the claim has been accepted. car will be going in on 30/09.

Lexus deliver again!

Trying to secure a RC as a loan car as it is the only Lexus I have not yet driven apart from the LS...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My rx450h also had this issue before I sent it back to the garage from which it was bought (also due to being lied about the number of previous owners - which is a different story). 

Anyway, my stereo would turn on and off, and change between stereo modes. It seemed to do this mainly whilst turning sharply or going over bumpy parts of a road. After speaking to a Lexus technician they could only think it was a loose wire and said the stereo would be swapped with a reconditioned unit at the cost of between £1500 - £2000.

I no longer own the car but thought it might be useful information on the site should another owner encounter this issue.

Thanks.

Interestingly, the dealer mentioned that they consulted some database of documented (known?) problems that they have access to. They used the information they found in there to support the warranty claim.

These intermittent problems with high tech systems I think personally are as a result of the forced changeover from lead based solder to lead free replacements.

The solder joints produced by lead free are poor in comparison to lead solder and hence an increased failure rate of equipment.

The fact that leaded solder is still used in military applications and I understand aerospace says it all really.

• Like 1

Hi dan,ive had the same problem with my rx450.Had car 6months and car stereo has been playing up since 2nd day I had it.Stereo will turn itself off or retune to a different station multiple times.Car has been back to dealer six times and so far they have changed the amplifier and also last time it went in they said they had found the problem and changed The ECU unit.Week later stereo starts turning itself off again and is now even worse.Still waiting for dealer to contact me on a solution,they are talking about looking for a donor car and putting a used head unit into my car.

What did your dealer do,did they replace your head unit???.. 

AS I am a helpful kinda chap, I have phoned my dealer and asked!

I am told that they replaced the whole of the audio (head?) unit, and that this is a sealed unit. The replacement was a Lexus-approved re-conditioned unit and the cost of the exchange was £1553. Apparently a brand new unit would have cost in excess of £3000.

Thanks for that dan,now been in to see manager of the dealership again.They have now said the headunit is not covered by the warranty because the car is over 5 years old.But as ive had the problem since purchase and they have had the car in 6 times they are going to cover the cost.Fingers crossed this sorts it and car goes on on thurs.:smile::smile:

• Like 1

Just to let you know dan,new head unit fitted on thurs and I have driven 300miles over weekend and the radio has not switched off once.Problem sorted thanks again lexus you deliver again...:smile::smile:

Good news and glad it's all worked out. Mine was covered by the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the car. Definitely worth it in my eyes.

• 6 years later...
On 8/16/2016 at 6:26 AM, DanD said:

Three times in so many weeks the audio system in my RX450h has switched itself either on or off without me having pressed any button.

The first time, the radio switched itself on... and I assumed that I'd hit the steering wheel button while going around a roundabout. However the second and third time, the radio switched itself off, and this could not be down to me as you need to press the steering wheel button for at least a couple of seconds for the radio to switch off.

Any idea?

I own a 2008 RX400h and had problems with the radio/cassette/CD changer system on 2 occasions both times every day until I replaced the12 Volt Battery. I have to replace the Battery every 3 to 4 years since replacing the original Battery from 2008. I have read that these hybrids chew through the regular 12 Volt battery. I recently had to change the Brake Control Power Supply Assembly (part in hybrids only - p/n - 89680-33010) under the cargo deck due to a "Yellow Brake Light" on before and after a complete brake job including new calipers (USD$1900 - yikes) because they were completely rusted/corroded through (3 of 4). Bought myself a scanner (CGSULIT SC510 Elite for Toyota/Lexus - amazon for under USD$100) as Midas (service station that did brakes) said that they researched and light should go out by itself after 300-600 miles - nonsense. The error code C1377/108 indicates bad capacitor (indeed after I opened up the "BCPS" there is at least 1 very leaky electrolytic out of 2 banks of 6 unlabeled capacitors).  I mention this because just having rear hatch open and the little dome-light on sidewall of hatchback so I could install new Brake Power Supply (took 3 hours) dropped my Battery to under 50% charge, leaving radio on with car off for more than 45 minutes will prevent RX400h from starting, Indications that Battery needs replacing 1) if it is 3 years old or older, Steering wheel power lift motor when u remove or insert key before starting engine  starts Squealing, radio display starts to turn on/off by itself or radio completely shuts off while driving. Warning lights come on/off intermittently & I believe that a weak Battery made have caused the Brake Control Power Supply to fail - since it depends on health of 12V Battery to properly charge the 12 capacitors inside unit.  Check Battery first - if not a maintenance free lead acid with removeable electrolyte covers - remove covers and check electrolyte especially on ends closest to negative & positive Battery terminals - I bet these are very low - possibly showing Battery plates - fill with distilled water and put on a HQ Battery charger that slow charges the last 10-20% of charge (in my case a charger with a winter mode for charging when temps are below freezing) and replace Battery with proper deeper cycle hybrid compatible Battery. Weak/old 12V batteries cause many intermittent electrical problems with Lexus Hybrids that may falsely point to more complex/costly problems that are not real.