Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Goodyear EfficientGrip Tyres

Anyone tried Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres for their LS430?

They are offered as both a normal tyre and a run flat version. Strangely the external road noise is less for the run flat format. Yes, the external noise is not the same as that experienced in the cabin but for both versions tyre noise is very low and I want to preserve the quietness of the LS as much as possible.

I know the reasons why run flat tyres are hated by many but for my wife's car they may offer the advantage of being more robust and keeping her going.

These tyres also include a protective kerb band which might save the alloys a little.

I went for Avon's on my LS which are excellent, but I got the Goodyear's for my Volvo as the Pirelli tyres were tramlining badly, no tramlining at all with the Goodyear's, and very good wet grip as well. Not run flat though.

Phil, interesting about tramlining because at very low speed I have noticed that with the existing Bridgestone Turanzas. Had expected Lexus at Guildford to pick up some sort of worn rubber on the front of the car at its recent 12 year service but all was well. 

2 hours ago, GrahamG said:

Phil, interesting about tramlining because at very low speed I have noticed that with the existing Bridgestone Turanzas. Had expected Lexus at Guildford to pick up some sort of worn rubber on the front of the car at its recent 12 year service but all was well. 

It's interesting really how certain tyres affect certain cars, I assumed that because my Volvo had decent Pirelli tyres they would be good all round, but not so.  They did however have amazing wet grip but no rim protection which means two wheels have been curved. I'm very happy now with both Avon and Goodyear on both cars but I certainly wouldn't be able to say one is better than the other.  As I mentioned in another post, I'm surprised to find Avon's are made in England, God bless the queen!!

I had two Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres fitted recently (different to just plain "Efficient Grip"?) and they came rated at 102W i.e. heavy duty compared to the standard 98W speed rating for our cars. They give a great comfortable ride, they're quiet too and are very grippy in the wet.  Best tyre I've had so far.

4 hours ago, GrahamG said:

John, do you have the normal or run flat option ?

I am trying to establish if there is a comfort or ride penalty for the run flats.

Normal Graham.

According to Goodyear's technical adviser a run flat tyre because of the sidewall construction will be noisier and give a harsher ride.

What I did not know is that run flats can only be fitted to a car with tyre pressure warning on the dashboard.

He referred me to Lexus to decide if the warning system I have is suitable. Mine does not have a sender in the tyre, rather it monitors the circumference of the wheel.

I've been really impressed with the Goodyear Efficient grip since i fitted them since i fitted them to the front of my V8 Morris Minor. I researched tyres for the best grip and these got top marks. Car has never failed to go where i want it in all sorts of weather, so I'd recommend. However, what works on 1 car may not on another. I've always used Falkens on my LS, but whilst they grip fine, they don't last. I'll be giving the Goodyears a go when the current Falkens wear out.

Pete

I have stuck with the OEM Bridgestone Potenza runflats on my LS. They give an acceptable ride though you do get a degree of 'tramlining' when they become about half worn and they are rock solid but then I am used to a hard ride having the DHP spec and previously I ran a GS300 Sport.

As an aside, Angus, I would be interested to hear more about your V8 'Moggy', I have a V8 MGB but have always fancied a V8 powered Traveller .

Hi,

Check out the following threads as they give full details on my 3 V8 Minors - a lot of reading though.

Pete

My LS1 powered Minor

http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1082

My Rover 3.9 Minor

http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1083

My Ford 302 powered Minor (now sold)

http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1850

Sorry to have highjacked Graham's original post but just could not resist enquiring about Pete's Moggies.

Awesome Pete! - bet they are a real hoot to drive.

I am very tempted, I have seen the Traveller with a Mazda MX5 conversion I believe it was all professionally done for around £20k.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith Bowler said:

Sorry to have highjacked Graham's original post but just could not resist enquiring about Pete's Moggies.

Awesome Pete! - bet they are a real hoot to drive.

I am very tempted, I have seen the Traveller with a Mazda MX5 conversion I believe it was all professionally done for around £20k.

Yes Keith they are fun to drive. Chevy LS1 Minor does 0-60 in less than 4 seconds and gives 32mpg on the open road. I've done almost 4000 miles in it this year so far.

Pete

I put 2 Goodyear Efficient Grip on the front of my trusted BMW E39 523i SE auto months ago and can't praise them enough.  I don't think I'll be looking for any other tyres bar these in future on any car I have.