Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should my Lexus have a low brake pad notification?

Ohoopee

Hello,  I own a 2001 Lexus IS200 2.0, 1988cc.  I have had the car over a year and it passed the NCT test this past February with no issues.  Yesterday I started hearing a sound while breaking and upon investigation, discovered that my rear brake pads are almost completely gone.  My next door neighbor is a professional mechanic and has offered to change them for me free of charge if I can get the pads.  I went online to mister-auto.ie since I live in Ireland, typed in my Registration number, and it instantly provided me with 8 different brake pad sets to choose from.  Upon looking at these pads and trying to make my decision as to which one to get, I noticed that all came with brake pad wear sensor included except for one...the cheapest one.  This got me thinking, Should my car have this sensor?  There are no lights on the dash alerting me that there is a problem and my neighbor has a mechanics computer which he hooked up to my Lexus and said that it was reporting no issues.  Of course the previous owner may not have gotten the brake pads with the sensor last time they were changed but I was just curious...obviously, if my car doesn't have the sensor at all, there is not need for me to spend the extra money to get the brake pads with the sensor.  I would also appreciate you guys taking a look to see if these are indeed the correct break pads for my car the like site claims.  Thanks in advance!

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/front-brake-pads/lexus-is-i-gxe10-200-155hp_v10281_g900005.html

17 minutes ago, Igino Cazzola said:

My 1999 IS200 doesn't have any wear indicators on the pads.

Your link is pointing towards front pads.

You are right, my apologies.  I was thinking about changing the front pads as well and was on that page when I copied and pasted:

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/rear-brake-pads/lexus-is-i-gxe10-200-155hp_v10281_g900006.html

I just want to make sure I am ordering the right thing because it will be more trouble to return them since I am buying them online...I could probably order them from this ONE part store in town but I figure he is probably just going to get them from one of these same online stores.  These are the pads the website claims belongs to my Lexus model...but just want to be sure before I ordered.  Good to know...about your car not having sensors.  About a month ago, I had a rear head lamp light go out and I had a light appear on my console notifying me that the light needed changing...took me forever to figure out what the light meant.  So I was wondering if I was supposed to have some kind of light appear to indicate that my brake pads needed changing...cause I certainly don't have one.

According to Ferodo the right pads for your car are the FDB1564 (front) and FDB1610 (rear).

They both come with "acoustic wear warning" and I can tell you, that the sound I got when my rear pads were at the end of their lifespan; 'was not pleasant at all.