Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I have the VSC check light on.

My is IS220d. I have been driving with this light on for 2 years now. The car did so far 130K on the clock. I have no loss of power whatsoever. I do a trip Swindon-Cambridge twice a week every week. I can easily do 44 MPG at 70+ mph on sixth gear. So Power wise no problem there.

But this light is getting on my nerve now.

I took it to Lexus dealer and they claimed that cat converter has gone and wanted £2500 to fix even though I told them what I said above.

Any ideas how to fix this? or what else can be causing this light to come on?

• 4 weeks later...

Plenty comment on this issue....1) Clean EGR Valve 2) Have Battery disconnected whilst doing it to save time doing it separately.

Sometimes just cleaning EGR valve alone VSC light goes off....sometimes NOT ....BUT disconnecting Battery for 30 mins or so always resolved it for me.

IMPORTANT....when Battery reconnected and light hopefully reset to OFF....I would advise you reset ALL windows starting with the drivers window...let down and bring back up holding the UP position for a few seconds after full closing (you may hear a beep).  Do same with all other doors using their own door switch (don't use front door pairs...go to each switch) You should be OK. If you don't do this with the windows you'll come out someday to find all your windows halfway down and if it has rained quite a mess made.

Plenty of info available on how to clean EGR 30 min job DIY OK...(one awkward bolt below pipe...just loosen do not remove it the pipe will rotate enough)...hope you get sorted.

PS ....BE VERY CAREFUL WITH GASKETS

Hi All.

They said catalytic converter @ £3500. Not a chance. I have been driving it for 2 years now with no less of power, and within 30 miles drive I reach 42 mpg and it passes every MOT.

I will try the EGR method.

One thing I noticed, when it is HOT, like we had the past few days, the warning went away for few days. Also, happens when it is very cold. Weird.

thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay. Just working like a work donkey.

So the car started to lose power every 2-3 miles or so. Engine power cut off completely as if no fuel coming into the engine any more (all electrical are still working). I had to stop, wait few seconds and start it again and so on.  I broke down on the M11 on my way to Swindon :-) that was a good 130 miles.

Called the AA, who plugged their computer into the car and diagnosed the problem. The Diesel particulate filter (I think).  So after 8 hours (They asked for £500 to take me home :( ). I drove and stopped every 3 miles until I reached Swindon after 6 hours (and  many angry drivers).

I took it to the dealer, and they agreed with the diagnosis. The DPF was shot and need replacing, which also needs changing the sensor which also caused the VSC warning on the dashboard.

Total  cost £1500. :-)

I will get it back tomorrow and test it. I know but I love that car. t still races and give me 42 miles to the gallon driving at 70 or 80mph (on 6th gear) (more if I drive like 60 mph). So far it did 135K  miles.

Just a brief update.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I did not even know I had one. the DPF itself cost £800 including fitting but then the sensor was a problem and they had to install new one which cost additional £600. Sigh .. but the VSC warning has gone. Yesterday, the alternator gone and so another £400 .. sigh , not a good start for new year. Now they say that the turbocharger may fail in about a year as it is whistling.... they want  £1850 when it fails as it may fail MOT any ideas on this. Can I install it cheaper than this?

the car itself drives brilliantly now and still goes over 42 MPG on a trip from Swindon to Cambridge (70 mph/+) and it did 135K miles so far.

Sorry mate to hear problems u had but did u try to get it cleaned as 9 out 10 it's blocked only cost 200ish

Was it lexus main dealer or independent who replaced parts. When had is220d dpf was blocked cost me 500 including pick up drop off from Birmingham.