Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just had four new tyres fitted (Kumho's) by a reputable local tyre company. Took the car out and there was a horrible metallic clicking noise. Called them back and they found the wheel weights were catching the caliper. Apparently there is very little clearance on the inside rim. Weights added to the inside of the wheel, rather than the rim, cured the problem. Anyone getting new tyres might wish to check with the tyre fitter about this potential problem. All fixed, car runs like a dream........ fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Had this twice with the Mk4, seems like not many tyre mechanics check the clearance, and it is pretty tight.

Last time it was my MOT man who spotted the issue, as the rubbing was so slight could not really hear anything when driving.

Seems a very common occurrence when getting new tyres fitted on our cars. Happened to me recently too. Had to return to the tyre place immediately after fitting, due to the 'chuffing' noise coming from the front wheels.