Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have had a number of cars over the years including Honda, Volvo, Renault and VW however, I am appalled with the quality of my Lexus' paint work.  It seems that the paint marks and scratches very easily In comparison to the other brands. My Passat's paint was bomb proof and apart from rust on the arches was in quite good order.

A bird decided to deposit a lovely present on the car bonnet the other day. It was a very hot day and the maximum that the droppings could have been on the car was 5-6 hours. Upon washing off there was a clear sign that the droppings had eaten into the surface of the paint. After a machine polish I was able to take this stain out - thankfully.

Today, same thing happened only this time it was not as warm and I was able to get to the droppings quickly. Upon wiping it off I was horrified to see that I had inadvertently scratched the paint. This to me is soft paint. I really do like the car but things like this really do annoy me when you pay so much for a premium brand.

I have polished the car multiple times and put a good coat of wax on her  but it seems that nothing can stop this. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem??

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pdfs/painthardness.pdf

I coated my car with Gtechniq C1 after i machined my car, I have no trouble at all with any bird droppings or other marks. Quick detail spray and off

it comes. Lexus paint is soft as it states in the pdf. I detailed my car a few weeks ago, with rupes grey pad and Uhs compound.

And Scholl S20 and honey pad, it shines like a jewel.

On 27/08/2016 at 8:21 PM, Dylanlewis2000 said:

I have had a number of cars over the years including Honda, Volvo, Renault and VW however, I am appalled with the quality of my Lexus' paint work.  It seems that the paint marks and scratches very easily In comparison to the other brands. My Passat's paint was bomb proof and apart from rust on the arches was in quite good order.

A bird decided to deposit a lovely present on the car bonnet the other day. It was a very hot day and the maximum that the droppings could have been on the car was 5-6 hours. Upon washing off there was a clear sign that the droppings had eaten into the surface of the paint. After a machine polish I was able to take this stain out - thankfully.

Today, same thing happened only this time it was not as warm and I was able to get to the droppings quickly. Upon wiping it off I was horrified to see that I had inadvertently scratched the paint. This to me is soft paint. I really do like the car but things like this really do annoy me when you pay so much for a premium brand.

I have polished the car multiple times and put a good coat of wax on her  but it seems that nothing can stop this. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem??

Nothing to do with the "Paint Quality" im afraid.

Lexus Paint is extremely high quality, its also wet sanded by hand (takes the pure mick to do BTW). They also tend to layer it on slightly thicker going on by the readings.

Now the issue you mention is to do with softness of the paint. This is generally due to the removal of lead based paints from the industry which provided that hardness. Lexus paint is soft, but that has its own benefits i.e. its easier to sort light scratches out.

If you look at something like a 2016 Golf R, you'll notice, especially on the Lapiz Blue that its buttery soft.

The bird issue is not a problem with Lexus paint but it happens on all paints. You need to get the bird poo off within 1-2 hours MAX. Its not actually the chemicals in the bird poo that etches the paint, but in fact, its the liquid poo which contracts whilst it solidifies. My best analogy would be the classic concrete paint and hot tyres!

Also, wax wont help much with bird poo, it'll take it right off. You need a good quality sealant or coating.

Hi all

On the basis of recommendations from an auto detailing place, I'm trying out Auto Finesse Tough Coat. They made the point that Lexus have soft paint and some type of protection is time well spent.

Although purists would suggest clay bar first, I just gave it a good wash, dried with a microfibre towel, gave it another 10 minutes, then applied. It's very easy to apply and the paint feels much smoother afterwards.

Now all I need is rain!

clay barring should only be done if needed. Go over the paint with a food bag, very lightly you will here if it needs doing. Not doing it when its needed is false,

as you are just coating over the rubbish thats there. The new clay mitts are brilliant, half an hour or so to do a complete car. Thats windows lights the lot.

The difference is night and day believe me. Sometimes just clay barring leaves stunning results, then just polish and then wax the car.

I have had people scoff at me untill i clay bar their cars, then its a different comment. clay barring does not remove scratches, but cleans all marks,

including the odd tar marks we all pick up.

When you have washed the car and dried it, Get a clear cheap plastic food bag, or use your fingers and very gently rub over a panel and if you here a

noise like sand paper i would clay bar the car. If you do one test panel, you will not believe how squeaky clean it is. Try on a lower bumper panel,

or inside of the door.

3 hours ago, djkenn said:

So mine needs clay bar .. it is 9 years old and the paint feels quite rough although it looks good. I have only owned it for a few months so still finding my way around.

Thanks

Dont rush BTW - it should take you a good 1-2 hours to clay the whole car, especially if its 9 years old! Pay extra attention to the lower parts.

On 29/08/2016 at 2:16 PM, madasahatter said:

I also use clay bars, bilt hammer do 2 or 3 differenent grades. I always buy the lightest grade, but as my car is iron x etc its very good body wise.

I use a tar remover as well which do a great job. Clay bars are good for making wheels like new also.

All the clay bars from Bilt Hamber are the same grade.

They only differ in softness i.e. soft is soft, medium is inbetween and regular is hard

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links