Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Airbag recall

Went to the Lexus dealer to book in for a service and he tells me there`s a recall on passenger airbags, no new parts in the country yet so waiting to get this all done at once.

Anybody else know about this?

I had the notification letter through a few weeks ago as well. Had the car serviced weekend before last and was also told that the parts haven't arrived yet.

Apparently its not unusual for recall parts to take several months to arrive so we may have a bit of a wait.

2 hours ago, CharlieC said:

Went to the Lexus dealer to book in for a service and he tells me there`s a recall on passenger airbags, no new parts in the country yet so waiting to get this all done at once.

Anybody else know about this?

No, new to me.

I received a letter a few weeks ago, seems to be much more publicised in the states and many cars not being driven and owners being given long term rentals. I follow 'is350/ISF freaks' and 'F the track' on Facebook and there are daily rants (in the US) about this issue! It appears there is not yet a fix in place so it could be a long wait! The airbag could go off with excess force and throw shrapnel into the cabin. This affects alot of cars, not just Lexus.

Yup, had the letter a couple of weeks ago. Phoned the dealership yesterday to enquire as to progress and was told what others have indicated here. There is nothing to do until we get another letter, which will be an invite to book the car in for the fix. That letter will be triggered by the arrival in the UK of the mythical replacement parts that don't yet exist.

When will our cars be fixed, who knows.

I too had a letter a few weeks ago. Mine's in for a service and MOT next month, so I'm going to ask about the recall then. 

It seems in the US, with a more litigious society, they're getting a bit more bothered about it. Some people seem to have been given courtesy cars (to take their ISFs off the road) almost indefinitely until this problem is sorted. 

45 minutes ago, mrfunex said:

I too had a letter a few weeks ago. Mine's in for a service and MOT next month, so I'm going to ask about the recall then. 

It seems in the US, with a more litigious society, they're getting a bit more bothered about it. Some people seem to have been given courtesy cars (to take their ISFs off the road) almost indefinitely until this problem is sorted. 

Where have you read that gem?

The recall is well documented on this site, as I've said before and will no doubt say again and again.

Its not only the "fabulous ISF" that is subject to this issue. Flipping heck.

38 minutes ago, Verbout said:

Where have you read that gem?

The recall is well documented on this site, as I've said before and will no doubt say again and again.

Its not only the "fabulous ISF" that is subject to this issue. Flipping heck.

Mr Funex is referring to our friends across the pond who have been given courtesy cars. I'm guessing that has come from posts over on ClubLexus. Odd that we are expected to drive our cars despite the inherent risk from the dodgy airbag. 

As for the ISF it is indeed fabulous :D

18 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Any chances that this recall will eventually cover all the air bags in the cabin or is it likely to just be the dash bags?

No .. this particular recall is specifically only passengers airbag, at least for Lexus IS250/350/F. However, it is not clear if other airbags are not affected. Essentially, Takata don't know themselves... so maybe few years down the line we will eventually (as you said) get all airbags made by Takata fully replaced

What I find most surprising is that this recall is ongoing for 3 years now and UK recall is only being issued now. Why this is particularly important that these airbags are most likely to fail in "high humidity environments" ... it is probably because UK is know for it's "dry climate".. 

Just now, Linas.P said:

No I think it is specifically only passengers airbag, at least for Lexus IS250/350/F. However, it is not clear if other airbags are not affected. Essentially, Takata don't know themselves.

What I find most surprising is that this recall is ongoing for 3 years now and UK recall is only being issued now. Why this is particularly important that these airbags are most likely to fail in "high humidity environments" ... it is probably because UK is know for it's "dry climate".. 

Sunny today! ;)

Also worries me that Lexus can continue selling second hand vehicles knowing there is a potential fault. How does that work?

I don't know ... but this issue is obviously downplayed in UK... 

One thing is to sell second hand vehicles, but apparently in US there are recalls for 2015 SLS AMG... now this is hard to explain, back in 2014 this Takata issue was already in full swing, so how comes MB fitted it's latest supercar with at the time quite obviously defective airbags.. and sold it!

3 hours ago, CharlieC said:

Thanks for all the info,i had read about it on other sites but thought it was only the US that was affected.

It was in the beginning, as well it was only Honda issue. However, when they started digging it appeared that Takata has no clue which batch was defective and why... so just to be safe they are replacing almost all Takata airbags of that time.

Late to the party I know, but just to confirm I too had a letter from Lexus GB about this issue.

Given it only relates to the passenger airbag (as far as I can tell from the letter at least), wouldn't be any reason to demand a courtesy car unless you are travelling with a front seat passenger? Will probably put my son in the back seats until the recall work has been carried out as a precautionary measure, but don't see why Lexus would give me a courtesy car indefinitely over an issue that hasn't caused any problems for 8yrs......???

Guess that's where we differ from the American guys! Lol.

I'll probably drop Lexus Canterbury an email in a couple of weeks to so where they are with the new parts. :smile:

I thought the issues was that if you have a crash, the dodgy inflators go off more explosively than they should, with potential problems ensuing. 

Maybe I mis-remembered, otherwise, unless you have a crash big enough to set off the airbag, you should be OK?

And the issue is aggravated by living in a hot climate, so that pretty much excludes the UK anyway..

2 hours ago, JonP said:

And the issue is aggravated by living in a hot climate, so that pretty much excludes the UK anyway..

That is incorrect. Takata stated that WET climate (as in UK) is the cause not HOT.

But you're right, it would not happen just by itself. However, I guess if you car about your passenger you would want his/her airbag to work properly.

Unless we consider that joke about mother-in-law... you can easily recommend her to sit in front passenger seat as case of "respect". 

• 3 weeks later...