Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Airbag recall

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a friend yesterday who also has an ISF and apparently his local dealership in Devon have booked his car in for the airbag recall work. They want the car for the day and were organising a courtesy car for him.

So the parts must now be arriving reasonably soon!!

3 minutes ago, DAW said:

Saw a friend yesterday who also has an ISF and apparently his local dealership in Devon have booked his car in for the airbag recall work. They want the car for the day and were organising a courtesy car for him.

So the parts must now be arriving reasonably soon!!

Well, that's very good news!!!!

• 1 month later...

Just called Lexus Southend and Woodford today. Woodford said April 2017, Southend said early next year, please call us back in January. I really feeling like I would like to stir up some ****... they sent the letter for recall in June.... and they still have no airbags in stock... I feel almost like it would be better if they would send the letters only when it is about to be ready for replacement.

Totally disagree...as many would complain if no info was given out by Lexus when this problem first came to light, infact well done Lexus for making us aware.

Also you cant expect to keep tens of thousand of airbags in stock when there was limited buys prior to this recall.

just look forward to a loan car and some free future for the inconvience.

• Like 1

I had my 4 year service done yesterday. Was told that the UK market is not a priority for the recall due to the weather (like was stated previously in the thread) and it's scheduled for April 2017.

To add.. Lexus recall management representative told me that there is no reason to worry as it is "safe" (as if airbag exploding with shrapnel to the passengers face is not a big deal)... And they will send another letter when the parts are ready (maybe in few years time).. just makes me furious ..

1. If you do your own research, UK is not market priority not because of climate, but because it is small market overall (compared with US). In fact Takata airbags were prone to wet/humid climate and not hot. So no problem in Florida where recall was done first.. but big problems in UK where recall has not even started.

2. It is not like they replacing airbags from the stock they keep in dealerships normally... These airbags are completely separate stock which should be delivered separately just for recall.

3. It is not like they just find out... the whole thing was going around in US since 2012, so 4 years to prepare replacement is already a lot of time.

4. We need to understand the intention of the notification. It is not like they are nice guys letting us know because they care. It is because they want to cover their asses and transferred responsibility on us, it is simple compliance matter.. So if accident would have happened before notification is sent and somebody would get injured because of faulty airbag, they would be liable to pay compensations. Now it became more like drivers responsibility (or at least shared) - "you have been notified that your car is unsafe, so now it is your fault that you didn't take actions".. as if you have options other not to use the car. 

What I meant was that "I would probably feel better and safer in my car without knowing of this recall", whenever it was right to let us know early or not is different question.

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

April has come and almost gone and I've heard nothing. Anyone else had an update?

Cars in the States have been fixed, so I assume it will filter through to Europe relatively soon. Lexus Twickenham were adamant they were fixing mine in February when I handed over the keys for the service 😂 !?!? 

52 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

April has come and almost gone and I've heard nothing. Anyone else had an update?

Nope.  But back in January I was told it wouldn't be until at least July so I'm not expecting anything yet anyway.

I really don't think they know...

I spoke to Lexus a few months ago, who put my VIN into their computer and said the recall didn't affect me, despite me having a letter telling me the opposite!?

I just hope after ripping the dashboard to pieces I don't end up with squeaks/creaks/rattles! 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Shocking news, in the USA Lexus were taking in customers cars and offering them long term rentals until a solution was found and resolved. How can it be one rule for the US market and another for UK /Europe!?!!!

I'm going to be bold and say that in reality, we shouldn't be driving our cars.... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Shocking news, in the USA Lexus were taking in customers cars and offering them long term rentals until a solution was found and resolved. How can it be one rule for the US market and another for UK /Europe!?!!!

I'm going to be bold and say that in reality, we shouldn't be driving our cars.... 

I totally agree.

Also, if Lexus know, why are they still selling the likes of the ISF from main dealers? Is this illegal?