Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cam

I am thinking about getting a dash cam wired in, but don't want to fit it myself, I am hopeless at anything like that. Do Lexus fit them? If not, does anyone know a company they can recommend? Any particular Dash Cam? Halfords fit them I think! Not sure how good they are though. I see Nextbase 312 and 512 came 1st and 3rd in PC Adviser 'best Dash Cam' survey. 

I think a dashcam is a good idea, and I have one installed myself. A cheaper model without GPS but it seems to do the job. I think some insurance companies offer a discount if you have a recognised brand installed and the NextBase fits the bill.

However, based upon a recent experience I had with Halfords replacing my car Battery where they were amatuerish at best, they wouldn't be my 1st choice.

I am sure that a professional installer will charge more than £30 but you get what you pay for as the saying goes.

• 1 month later...

I've got a NextBase 402G and it's excellent. I hard-wired it in myself, took about 20-25 minutes at most, quite possibly less as it's a very easy job.

As Bob mentioned above, some insurance companies give a discount on premiums (approx 10-12%) if you have a camera installed. However I didn't ask my insurers about that because Sod's Law indicates that if I'm ever involved in an accident then that will be the day that I forgot to put the camera in the car and no doubt they'll use that as an excuse to reduce or refuse the claim. Not that I'm cynical about insurance companies, of course :dry:

• Like 1

Hi 

I had my Dash Cam fitted by Lexus Cardiff £125 inc VAT, to my RX 450h model. All hidden away behind panels and Ashely fitted the 12v supply by drilling into the side of the housing of the arm rest and taking the cable up through the glove box and side pillar along the top fitting the cam behind the rear mirror. This left the large cigarette connection inside the box/armrest. Model fitted Mini DVR 0801 see review on this post below!

2ddesign

I put in BlackVue cameras.  No elecrtrical experience needed, They plug in to cigarette lighter.  Just got plastic pokey tools for about £2 off amazon and just poked the cable behind the panelling and under the rubber.  Honestly, you don't need to pay anyone to do it.  Takes about 20 mins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2ddesign said:

I had my Dash Cam fitted by Lexus Cardiff £125 inc VAT,

Wow! Seriously? That's an incredible amount of money for a very easy, 20 minute or less job. Ok, in your case there appears to have been some drilling involved but that's still serious money.

All you need is a power source and a plastic spudger (or even the blunt end of a spoon will do the job). I discovered that my RX300 has a cigarette lighter socket at floor level so I plugged into that then ran the wire under the carpet and used a couple of self-adhesive cable ties to attach it to the underside of the glovebox and round to the door. Then you just use the spudger or spoon to gently push it behind the rubber door seal and take it up to roof level, across the 'A' Pillar and then push the excess into the gap between the roof lining and roof at the windscreen. If you want a more permanent power connection just use a 'fuse piggyback connector' to piggyback on the cigarette lighter fuse at the fusebox, although I admit that that method is a little more complicated and will take slightly longer.

power.jpg

roofline.jpg

fuse.jpg

24 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Wow! Seriously? That's an incredible amount of money for a very easy, 20 minute or less job. Ok, in your case there appears to have been some drilling involved but that's still serious money.

All you need is a power source and a plastic spudger (or even the blunt end of a spoon will do the job). I discovered that my RX300 has a cigarette lighter socket at floor level so I plugged into that then ran the wire under the carpet and used a couple of self-adhesive cable ties to attach it to the underside of the glovebox and round to the door. Then you just use the spudger or spoon to gently push it behind the rubber door seal and take it up to roof level, across the 'A' Pillar and then push the excess into the gap between the roof lining and roof at the windscreen. If you want a more permanent power connection just use a 'fuse piggyback connector' to piggyback on the cigarette lighter fuse at the fusebox, although I admit that that method is a little more complicated and will take slightly longer.

power.jpg

roofline.jpg

fuse.jpg

Hi Sorcerer

Yes it may seem excessive, but no wires are visible at all, and yes I was aware I could do it myself as many Utube videos how to Guides show dash cam fitting!

By taking out the interior glove box and also removing the pillar contains the airbag, he has hidden the wires completely and it is a first class job.

Excellent that you did yourself I chose not to!

2ddsign

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2ddesign said:

2ddesign

Hi Sorcerer

Yes it may seem excessive, but no wires are visible at all, and yes I was aware I could do it myself as many Utube videos how to Guides show dash cam fitting!

By taking out the interior glove box and also removing the pillar contains the airbag, he has hidden the wires completely and it is a first class job.

2ddsign

Well to all intents and purposes, that couple of inches going across the A-pillar is the only wire you can see on mine because when sat in the car, that floor-level socket and the wiring at that end can't be seen anyway but yes, fair enough my friend - it would be a strange old world if we were all the same :wink3:

• Like 1

On 10/8/2016 at 5:02 PM, sorcerer said:

I've got a NextBase 402G and it's excellent. I hard-wired it in myself, took about 20-25 minutes at most, quite possibly less as it's a very easy job.

As Bob mentioned above, some insurance companies give a discount on premiums (approx 10-12%) if you have a camera installed. However I didn't ask my insurers about that because Sod's Law indicates that if I'm ever involved in an accident then that will be the day that I forgot to put the camera in the car and no doubt they'll use that as an excuse to reduce or refuse the claim. Not that I'm cynical about insurance companies, of course :dry:

Hehe, you are right to be cynical. If there is any way to avoid paying out, they will find it. 

14 hours ago, 2ddesign said:

Hi Sorcerer

2ddsign

I would be the same, I am just useless at anything like that. The other day I sprayed some lube onto a squeaky kitchen cupboard door but then could not shut the door again properly, I took ages trying to find out why, then my wife showed me I had left the spray can of lube in front of a bottle and so it blocked it. Soooo embarrassing. Wire a dash cam... you must be joking. :(

• Like 2

On 9/2/2016 at 0:08 PM, bobmc said:

I think a dashcam is a good idea, and I have one installed myself. A cheaper model without GPS but it seems to do the job. I think some insurance companies offer a discount if you have a recognised brand installed and the NextBase fits the bill.

However, based upon a recent experience I had with Halfords replacing my car battery where they were amatuerish at best, they wouldn't be my 1st choice.

I am sure that a professional installer will charge more than £30 but you get what you pay for as the saying goes.

Hi,

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for a wide range of approved in-car cameras.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/dash-cam-insurance/

Regards,

Dan.