Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 300h Rear Fog Light

In my experience driving behind a vehicle equipped with twin rear fog lamps completely masks the appearance of  rear brake lights and can lead to the following driver not realising that the vehicle in front is braking and that the distance between the two vehicles is being reduced significantly.

Just my observations.

Regards

John

Part of the reason for only having one light can also be safety, as clueless muppets have a habit of using in light fog/rain which dazzles drivers behind, at least having just one the brake lights are still obvious, otherwise they are hidden by the glare of the fogs.

• Like 1

Though safety aspects are debatable, I'm more concerned with looks and symmetry, when i see other cars (makes) with twin reverse or fog lights, they look more complete and not as though there's a broken bulb. in addition with reverse lights i have mentioned in other threads that twin reverse lights gives some sort of light to absolute darkness when reversing, with current one it is extra care needed when reversing  in dark amongst other cars/obstacles....

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mpls said:

Though safety aspects are debatable, I'm more concerned with looks and symmetry, when i see other cars (makes) with twin reverse or fog lights, they look more complete and not as though there's a broken bulb. in addition with reverse lights i have mentioned in other threads that twin reverse lights gives some sort of light to absolute darkness when reversing, with current one it is extra care needed when reversing  in dark amongst other cars/obstacles....

Here is a link to a thread that I started about 18months ago I think it was, on this very subject and, there are some interesting points made, including possible modifications.

13 hours ago, wh05apk said:

.....clueless muppets have a habit ... in light fog/rain which dazzles drivers behind ....

This is unfortunately true, simply because there is no universally understandable way of formally defining what constitutes light or heavy                                                    fog or rain, though I believe that most police forces adopt a visibility of <50m as a guideline for switching on rear fogs.

Edited by Rabbers
alignment

2 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

This is unfortunately true, simply because there is no universally understandable way of formally defining what constitutes light or heavy                                                    fog or rain, though I believe that most police forces adopt a visibility of <50m as a guideline for switching on rear fogs.

Sounds about right, but also please please please turn them off in town, or slow traffic, if I am sitting behind a car in traffic, and can read the number plate, there is absolutely no need for the rear fogs to be switched on, all it is doing is dazzling the following driver.

4 hours ago, wh05apk said:

Sounds about right, but also please please please turn them off in town, or slow traffic, if I am sitting behind a car in traffic, and can read the number plate, there is absolutely no need for the rear fogs to be switched on, all it is doing is dazzling the following driver.

That is true, but neither stupid drivers are problem of car manufacturer, nor single fog light will help as it would still dazzle if not used properly. Look how many retards are driving with high beam on and don't turn it off when they see oncoming traffic, should manufactures only fit one high beam light as well? 

• 2 weeks later...

1 or 2 rear fog lights... does it really matter? - I regularly drive in snowy and foggy weather when visiting relatives in southern Bavaria, and I can't say that I have ever had a panic attack as to whether the light is on the right, the left, or whether there are one or two.
If this is an issue, I would suggest that you are driving far too close. Ultimately, the fog light is to let you know that there is vehicle ahead of you and that you should be cautious. Whatever the vehicle.
I have to admit that, until now I had not even given it any thought, but now that I have, I think I prefer the single light option so that the fog lights are not confused with brake lamps.

Now, what REALLY gets MY goat are people driving around with their front fog lights and, even worse in my opinion, people who drive with only their side/parking lights on.

My view is that driving with only with parking lights on is dangerous and that you should not rely on tiny bulbs for other drivers to notice you.  (there is a reason why they are called parking lights)

Discuss. :-)

Good week end to all.

• Like 2

"In my experience driving behind a vehicle equipped with twin rear fog lamps completely masks the appearance of  rear brake lights and can lead to the following driver not realising that the vehicle in front is braking and that the distance between the two vehicles is being reduced significantly.

Just my observations."

Well said Daniel.

And how many idiots do not drive with dipped headlamps on in poor visibility?

And how many idiots drive with their day driving lamps on, not realising that the rear of the car is not lit up ?

We could go on but, changing bad practices requires re-educating people and most just do not want to learn or re-learn.

The Highway Code is a manual of good driving habits, which are often ignored or forgotten once the licence has been obtained.

Regards

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tazzman600 said:

Wow what a lot of comments made on this subject. 

Just to inform everyone. When visability is 100m or less then 'fog' lights Should be used.

Personally when I was looking at buying my IS I was disappointed that the car only had One reversing and rear fog light. I like two purly coz it looks good. Mind you Lexus must have spent some cash in those rear light clusters to make them look symmetrical as they do look rather good.

As for safety? They should not be used in any rain situation  (the rain droplets are much bigger than the water droplets in fog) as that's where major dazzle occurs. 2 reversible g lights are better than 1 because of the situation when reversing left into a side street. In a number of situations the reversing light is not seen because of say a low wall until the car has gone round the corner. Up until that point someone behind is unsure what that car is doing.

Thanks to this thread I'm going to look into getting a twin reversing light conversion. 

I didn't know the rear fogger was LED. Will look into that too.

Have a look at this thread that I started quite some time ago, about 18 months approximately.  If you read it from start to finish you may well find some really interesting bits.

2 hours ago, Tazzman600 said:

Sorry Geoff I have to snigger. Before I wrote my post I read your thread with great interest. Thanks for inputting the link to it.

Many thanks Geoff.

Two rear fog lights are contrary to what the UK law requires and in my view are totally unnecessary.

it might look good, but not required.

Regards

John

I have a theory that I am unable to verify but that some of you may be able to comment on..

Have you noticed how Japanese imports often (always?) sport an aftermarket rear fog light?

My theory is that in far eastern markets (and possibly others), there is no legal requirement for rear fog lights. Such cars (see pic) have twin reversing lights. However, in order to comply with European legislation, one of the reversing lights gets converted into a fog lamp, without impact to the overall design of the car.

2014-lexus-is-rear.png

I have a theory that I am unable to verify but that some of you may be able to comment on..

Have you noticed how Japanese imports often (always?) sport an aftermarket rear fog light?

My theory is that in far eastern markets (and possibly others), there is no legal requirement for rear fog lights. Such cars (see pic) have twin reversing lights. However, in order to comply with European legislation, one of the reversing lights gets converted into a fog lamp, without impact to the overall design of the car.

2014-lexus-is-rear.png

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links