Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whistling noise.

bullhorn

Hi all, my is200 se auto 66000miles has developed a whistle like an old kettle. It starts at 20mph after about 5 mins of driving when things have started to warm up. The noise is a constant pitch-not engine related. Sounds like it's comming from the front offside wheel-brakes ok-cleaned, greased etc. The wheel  spins freely I can't  detect any play in the bearing. Is the noise the first Signs of ware.  Any help appreciated.

Thanks for the reply-can't see anything loose in the wheel arch. Stripped the caliper again found the guide pins slide ok but there is quite a bit of up & down movement. Perhaps allowing the caliper to drop,pushing the pad on to the disc and that's causing the whistle. Ordered  New slide pin dust boots-hope that works but I'm not holdin me breath. 

The reason I mentioned wheel arch is that a car I owned before the Lexus was known for a problem with the small mud flap type "thing" in front of the front tyre.

If this gets broken due to kerbing the front of the car, this causes air to travel into the wheel arch causing whistling, which only occurs when your car reaches a certain speed.

On 5 September 2016 at 10:33 AM, bullhorn said:

Hi all, my is200 se auto 66000miles has developed a whistle like an old kettle. It starts at 20mph after about 5 mins of driving when things have started to warm up. The noise is a constant pitch-not engine related. Sounds like it's comming from the front offside wheel-brakes ok-cleaned, greased etc. The wheel  spins freely I can't  detect any play in the bearing. Is the noise the first Signs of ware.  Any help appreciated.

Welcome to the club:wink3:

A common problem to all Lexus /Toyota's with rear disc brake with handbrake shoe hubs Is the disc rubs on the back plate, I've had it on a is300 and an SC430, when you remove the rear disc you may see  shiny marks on the groove on the disc ( inner edge of disc )or on the back plate lip.....adjust with hammer or grind off high spots.

90% whistle free! Thanks for your reply, I have removed the rear discs ground, cleaned & greased etc but at that point-still whistling.

After my visit to lex-tek autos yesterday, Dave found its the o s f wheel bearing seal was dry so that was causing the whistle. He squirted some duck oil on to the seal after removing  the disc. So booked in for a new wheel bearing next week & hopefully that's the end of that.