Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450h (2016) First Impressions

I was lucky enough to be given a demo RX450h Premier as a courtesy car for two days last week, whilst my trusted RX was in for its MOT.

I loved....

- the looks... although I wish the front end was a little more different from the NX. Unfortunately, it seems a common trend that all models within the same brand look very (too?) similar: Jag XE and XF are a prime example of this
- the build quality, internal design and colour scheme (this car had cream leather with cream/chocolate brown dash and doors)
- the noise insulation: I thought my 2009 RX450h was quiet, but the new model takes "quiet" to another level
- the performance... not dissimilar from the previous model, but with the car being so quiet you seem to reach high speeds with very little drama and you keep having to check the speedo (HUD very handy!)
- the supreme comfort... although I found the seat base a bit flat and lacking in support. This may change over time
- the (adjustable) Head Up Display - just brilliant
- the huge screen and its clarity
- the fuel economy: I achieved 35mpg, whilst my own car barely manages 30mpg on the same journey
- the clarity and power of the sound system
- the all-round camera
- the adaptive cruise control
- the excellent LED headlights

Not sure about...

- the seats were very comfortable, but I felt I was sitting "on" them, rather than "in" them. I suspect that they would give over time. I also suspect that the ventilation and heating system may contribute to the firmness
- the large screen emphasizes the old fashioned satnav graphics
- voice control has not evolved and is still useless
- the rear door (hatch / boot) is slow... sooo slow to go up and down... and noisy
- sound system is very clear but sounds... flat and soul-less. Some tweaking of the settings is required
- good parking camera... but no self-parking? you get this on a Focus or a Golf these days for not a lot of money

Would I buy one?

- Yes because of the design in and out, the image, the quality, the running costs, the gadgets and the proven reliability and after care of the Lexus brand
- No because of the missed opportunities, the - still - outdated satnav, the - still - cumbersome rear door, some lack in equipment (climate controls in the back for instance...)

Overall, yes I would definitely buy one. Even if the car is not perfect (is there such a thing), the overall Lexus ownership experience does it for me.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks DanD for the useful comments. I say useful but I read them too late to make a difference as I have just purchased (collecting on Saturday) an ex-demo Premier. I hadn't planned to as I was set to get an XC90 (been researching and salivating for 8 months!) but the price for this car was great and it was exactly what we wanted (white with panoramic roof).

I agree with your observations, in particular the sat nav. It rally struggles in comparison with the Volvo in this aspect. Whilst there are many things I will miss about not getting the Volvo, on reflection, the size was too big (we have no children - I want an SUV for my bad back) and would have been a nightmare to park. Whilst my wife was tired of my continuous fascination with car research, she gave good feedback during a test drive yesterday and was very happy with the drive. In the end, the reputation for reliability made the RX pip the competition.

I had more positive comments from friends and family about the image of the Volvo but I think it would have been seen as a bit too much of a Chelsea Tractor when driving around town and in the driveway. The RX has a very distinctive style but is modest in size in comparison.

We're now very excited about Saturday. Just got to finalise whether the rubber mat for the boot and maybe the protective film for the door handles. I have loved my Jaguar XF during the last 6 years but looking forward to having a bigger smile driving this one!

Alex

• Like 1

In North California in 1977 I rented an Oldsmobie Toronado 1966 FWD 7 litre! from Marin Rent a Wreck and it had swivel bucket seats which made it the easiest car I have ever entered or exited!

A 450h with swivel front seats should be an option......  I agree about lack of self parking [DanD] while my Son grins every time he parks his Ford.......

Lexus Guildford serviced my ageing RX400h - 142,560 miles and going strong.  An NX300h courtesy car was provided [foc] and made me glad I had my 400h available the next

morning. Nice enough machine but my eye is on a late 2013 450h Premier at a reasonable price......:yahoo:

• Like 3

On 13/11/2016 at 6:50 AM, Beejay said:

I agree about lack of self parking [DanD] while my Son grins every time he parks his Ford.......

A lot of tech on new cars is great (adaptive lights, adaptive cruise control etc) but I don't class self-parking as one of them. Being able to park properly is a skill that you should be proud of and a skill that I do not want taken out of my hands. More than 20 years as a telephone engineer on BT honed my skill of parking my jointer's van by door mirrors alone, a skill that carried over to the car and one that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sorcerer said:

A lot of tech on new cars is great (adaptive lights, adaptive cruise control etc) but I don't class self-parking as one of them. Being able to park properly is a skill that you should be proud of and a skill that I do not want taken out of my hands. More than 20 years as a telephone engineer on BT honed my skill of parking my jointer's van by door mirrors alone, a skill that carried over to the car and one that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I do it.

Also doesnt work very well on some cars.

The self-parking feature on the Merc C class for example, I tried it out and its fine for parking in car parks where there are 2 cars on either side or a wall on one side. That way itll sense the 2 cars or the wall and park between them

However, if you want to park on an end space with a kerb, it doesnt recognise it and scrapes the tyres and wheels.

sorcerer said -  More than 20 years as a telephone engineer on BT honed my skill of parking my jointer's van by door mirrors alone, a skill that carried over to the car and one that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I do it.

I agree but I am not the only driver in my RX = SWMBO who doesn't like parking  or driving through any narrow gaps so she would love to have a parking aid.

5 hours ago, Beejay said:

sorcerer said -  More than 20 years as a telephone engineer on BT honed my skill of parking my jointer's van by door mirrors alone, a skill that carried over to the car and one that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I do it.

I agree but I am not the only driver in my RX = SWMBO who doesn't like parking  or driving through any narrow gaps so she would love to have a parking aid.

Shouldn't really be driving an RX then should she? The worst thing is when people drive cars they aren't comfortable with and that's how we get scrapes and scratches in car parks etc

my wife also complains about the RX size. It's funny because her IS is the same if slightly smaller so I don't know what it is. 

I just told her to stick to her car then 😂😂

Seats firm? Large US customers are target audience.

And the boot (trunk!) opens slowly as it takes them longer to move out of the way?

I used to love parking my Citroen DS, as the front was curved, so you just swung it in (AND the bumpers were metal!)

On 9/5/2016 at 4:26 PM, DanD said:

- the seats were very comfortable, but I felt I was sitting "on" them, rather than "in" them. I suspect that they would give over time. I also suspect that the ventilation and heating system may contribute to the firmness

It is a trend on all new Lexus vehicles, the IS is the same - seats that are thin (to give more room in the rear) and firm but still comfortable. You don't sink into them as you may have done with older models, you sit on them. F Sport seats are no different other than you are encased with the high-sided bolsters.

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:13 PM, Chris Skelton said:

Seats firm? Large US customers are target audience.

And the boot (trunk!) opens slowly as it takes them longer to move out of the way?

I used to love parking my Citroen DS, as the front was curved, so you just swung it in (AND the bumpers were metal!)

My aunt had several of these in a row. She was also an impatient lady and would never wait for the suspension to do its stuff before moving off. She once parked rather too close in front of a 2CV, which had a metal bumper with two vertical fenders (not sure it is the correct word) attached to it, and as the DS cooled down and lowered itself, its rear bumper "locked" with the front bumper of the 2CV. When she drove off later, she just ripped the front of the 2CV off!!!!

• Like 3

....and the back of the 2CV VAN had two handles instead of bumpers, so you could just 'bounce' the car across into a VERY narrow gap! I know-I did often!

Your aunt would be OK with a late XM; it doesn't 'sink' too far!

DSC01029.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I became a proud owner of a new 66 Reg RX 200 t F Sport today after trading in my NX 200T F Sport. The difference in the two cars couldn't be clearer.

Being a Avid car enthusiast  I spent the last month or so test driving several options like Jaguar F pace 3.0i S, BMW X 5, an X3 3.0d M sport, Land Rover Discovery sport, after weighing all options I still settled for the Lexus.

The build quality of the RX was way above all the competition, the F Pace as good looking as it was was just not up to the Lexus ambience and quietness on the motorway. It looks like I have now gone full circle from a  2008 GS 450h to 2012 RX 450h to 2016 NX 200T and now to the RX 200 T.  

Long may Lexus continue to make them this good and we'll continue to buy. Delivery is due at the weekend and can wait. Pictures will follow soon.

• Like 1

Many congrats on the RX! Get some pics up ASAP!

How are you finding the RX200T engine / gearbox? I haven't driven one yet but a little concerned that it may not have the power for such a large car. Would be great to hear your thoughts :)

Nice write up Daniel.

I looked at one yesterday, and I'm with you on the looks. I prefer the previous generation for looks, it just seems a little more classy and elegant to my untrained eye.

The audio sounding flat is a good description because in keeping with all DAB systems, it uses high compression so is limited in dynamic range. It's a retrograde step. FM would be better.

The improved fuel economy is welcome.  Seating in the newer GS is firm also...I felt it was too firm;  the older car seems more comfortable to me.

Would it be fair to say that the older F-sport model would be closer to the new standard model then?

GSLV6, you are right to an extent the conservative curves of the last generation RX had world appeal including me however when ever there is a rapid departure be it in design or in IT (remember windows XP upgrade to Windows 10), it takes a while for the change to grow on people. I remember when I first got my NX in march this year, that was the time the RX first hit the showroom, I walked round it and said nah. But I begin to take interest seeing more and more of them on the road.  In the end beauty they say is in the eye of the beholder, but you should test drive one and you may be surprised you may change your mind. Happy cruising.

I couldn't afford a 2016 RX Banji, so a test drive would not be of any benefit for me.  I am looking seriously at buying a 2013 to 2015 F-sport or Premier model though. I had a test drive in a Lux but tbh, I found the drive very un-inspiring, the CVT drone and lack of instant response got on my nerves, and on an extended test drive, the fuel economy was appalling (sub 30mpg).  I may just stick with my petrol GS for now, or at least look for more feedback from happy RX owners on whether the higher models bring much more to the party.  Apologies to the OP for the thread drift.

13 hours ago, Normski said:

Many congrats on the RX! Get some pics up ASAP!

How are you finding the RX200T engine / gearbox? I haven't driven one yet but a little concerned that it may not have the power for such a large car. Would be great to hear your thoughts :)

Here we go awaiting mud flaps to be fitted at local dealership Hatfield. 

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

• Like 1