Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How many of you have replaced exhaust on your 250

I know there's quite a few topics on this but I'd like to know how many members have had to replace any part of the exhaust system. I was aware of the costs before I purchased my car and it made me think long and hard whether to buy.   A work colleague had to replace the back box on his 2006 220d at a cost of £400 (I think). Apparently Lexus told him there's a 12 year patent on the parts? I'm not sure if that's correct but if it is, the patent would run out 2017 if the cars went in to production in 2005. Basically I'm hoping someone is going to tell me if my exhaust goes after 2017 I'm not going to have to fork out 2.7k or go down the custom stainless route. 

I have repaired (welded back) rear box when driver side brake off (not rust-off). The price for original part was £680, and ~£400 for aftermarket stainless steel. For a weld it was £60. 

11 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I have repaired (welded back) rear box when driver side brake off (not rust-off). The price for original part was £680, and ~£400 for aftermarket stainless steel. For a weld it was £60. 

I could just about swallow £400 for the back box. Any idea what a custom stainless full system would cost? I'm guessing around £800?

£800 for full system.. I doubt, obviously depends what you consider "full". If that back boxes + mid-pipes than, you might be right. The system from engine to the exhaust tips will definitely be more. Not £3800 asked by Lexus, but I am sure in ~£2000 range. One note - aftermarket SS systems are louder and makes some drone sound in certain RPM. See this thread where forum member is getting rid of SS system for this particular reason:

Unless you know somebody who can order it for you from abroad - like I have friend in Eastern EU who can get me "full titanium" system custom made for ~£800 (maybe £900 now due to weak £).

That said, I see nothing wrong with fixing the existing system (welding) if it is not rusted. Like mine was clean shine metal broken off, but obviously if you have rusted hole, welding it on the rust will be waste of time and money.

51 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

As per above...I made the post referring to the aftermarket M2 exhaust I had for about 2 years...i loved it when it first went on but as the years went by I couldn't live with the drone myself..

the above eBay link for the back boxes are the ones I bought...I was proberly the first one to buy from that eBay company as I only paid £169.00 when it was first listed few months ago, not sure why the price has been increased, most likely as they had many many enquires about it. 

The boxes are fine...Straight replacement and no problems at all. 

59 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

£800 for full system.. I doubt, obviously depends what you consider "full". If that back boxes + mid-pipes than, you might be right. The system from engine to the exhaust tips will definitely be more. Not £3800 asked by Lexus, but I am sure in ~£2000 range. One note - aftermarket SS systems are louder and makes some drone sound in certain RPM. See this thread where forum member is getting rid of SS system for this particular reason:

Unless you know somebody who can order it for you from abroad - like I have friend in Eastern EU who can get me "full titanium" system custom made for ~£800 (maybe £900 now due to weak £).

That said, I see nothing wrong with fixing the existing system (welding) if it is not rusted. Like mine was clean shine metal broken off, but obviously if you have rusted hole, welding it on the rust will be waste of time and money.

From what I can see my system looks ok at the moment, just want to know what options are there if the worst happens. I would much rather have a custom mild steel system if anything dos go wrong but I just assumed all custom exhausts would be stainless. 

53 minutes ago, lex28 said:

As per above...I made the post referring to the aftermarket M2 exhaust I had for about 2 years...i loved it when it first went on but as the years went by I couldn't live with the drone myself..

the above eBay link for the back boxes are the ones I bought...I was proberly the first one to buy from that eBay company as I only paid £169.00 when it was first listed few months ago, not sure why the price has been increased, most likely as they had many many enquires about it. 

Good to know. Anyone familiar with the patent situation? If and when it runs out in assuming europarts etc will be producing pattern parts? 

1 hour ago, lex28 said:

Ta, lid

2 hours ago, WetMyBeak said:

Good to know. Anyone familiar with the patent situation? If and when it runs out in assuming europarts etc will be producing pattern parts? 

I cannot claim I am 100% sure, but for me it seems this is not related to the patent. First of all exactly the same cat back system was used 100% in GS since 2003 and I believe even the previous gen. GS since 1998. At least the part numbers are the same, and physically it is the same part, so if that is the case, 12 years patent should already be expired.

Secondly, if that part is patented Lexus would be able to go after all of aftermarket exhaust makers and take them to the court for infringing patents. I personally think that is much more related to the Lexus being rare car in UK and no suppliers in UK bothered to start making exhaust for them as the volume would be too small to offset the costs.

I have been quoted £700 for custom made 304 grade stainless steel system. Thats cutting the original after the cats and fitting from there on my is250. Garage is saying it will be just has quiet has original, garanteed !

Everything i read on here gives me alarm bells regarding the noise!

Do you guys think this is a fair price, i think i would be looking at 2k from lexus is this correct ? 

Rock and a hard place !

That is a good price for a cat back system. System from Lexus circa 2,300 pounds, and yes they dont have to be loud.

Seems after market claim all these power gains hence the noise as more free flowing. In the real world 5 bhp gain would not even be noticed.

3 years ago I was quoted £2700 for the centre and two boxes fitted by Lexus. Don't know what the cost would be now?  Issues with fitting the centre section is that the bolts may sheer that attach the centre to the front piece (due to rust) so not an easy job and at the time I was told that the sensors could be a tricky replacement if they were damaged during replacement as they go into the cabin under the drivers seat..

The stainless will be always noisy compared to the OEM but to what extent depends on a few factors .. there are different grades of stainless steel that these manufactures use. The exhaust bore has a big effect and the choice of centre resonator but the biggest one if the fact that stainless does not absorb the sound as mild steel does.

The back boxes will be the final factor - theres a balance required through the system. The stainless steel exhaust manufacturer will need to make both the resonator and the back boxes so if you are going down this route make sure they are quality made items as these boxes will be where almost all of the noise and any "drone" will come from .

Also - ask the manufacturer to keep the old system just in case you are not happy with the new SS one so it can be put back on if a bad quality. Unfortunately, the only way you can test it would be to have the stainless one fitted and then driven.

• 2 weeks later...

So i had my custom made stainless exhaust fitted and happy to report its quiet and refined and no droning. its a lttle deeper in sound in  a good way but its only because im really listening for a difference.

Not sure if im allowed to link to the supplier .but there work was quality and they delivered all i asked .

2016-09-30 19.10.04.png