Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh well it had to happen

Had the old girl for nearly three years and 32,000 miles and apart from fuel and 3 services she hasn't cost me a penny until now . Went out yesterday morning to pick up the papers at the newsagent turned the key only to get the dreaded clicking noise and it appears the starter has packed up after 22 years...absolutely shocking state of affairs and Lexus should be ashamed of themselves !!! :laugh:  anyway, new one being fitted on Tuesday for £475 which is apparently a swine of a job requiring removal of the cylinder head to get access. All things considered I don't think I've much to complain about as she once again passed her annual MOT in August without a single advisory in fact she hasn't had any in the 3 years I've had her which is more than I can say for the rest of my cars including a 3 year old Porsche Cayenne!! The crazy thing is the wife said to me yesterday instead of spending money on the "hearse" why not trade it in for something better and that after me having just forked out £800 on a service and repairs to her 4 year old Suzuki Swift!!! .... think I might sleep in the spare room from now on :yes:

• Like 3

.............. so so sorry to hear of your bad news; can you tell us the mileage at which the starter motor has packed up ?

I've just watched a video of changing the starter motor on your Cayenne ...........  can't imaging the total cost wouldn't be nearly double what you're paying for the Ls400 to be fixed !

and please tell what on earth costs £800 on the Suzuki Swift ?  just a service at the main dealer maybe.

You and me know that the Ls400, especially the Mk3 will probably outlast the others even tho' she's 22 years old ( mine's 21 next month, a special birthday treat due I guess )

Malc

hey, hang on a minute .....  just searched the forums here and I wrote a piece in Jan 2015 in that I had just checked with Lexus if my car had been recalled for the starter motor replacement that was announced many years prior...  it had been and there were no Recalls outstanding.

Maybe you too could check if yours was dealt with under that Official Recall, and if not, well, maybe, just maybe Lexus will replace it for you :whistling:

Malc

• Like 2

Hi Malc.

The car is sitting with 98,000 miles on the clock, still love driving her on a daily basis.

The wifes Suzuki got a major service with 2 new tyres and front discs but the biggest cost was a new exhaust , apparently the baffle inside the exhaust collapsed causing an engine management issue whereby the car was difficult to start.

I never thought about a recall but would Lexus entertain such a claim and is there an online check for this? , the reg is M760 EPV maybe you would know better than me how to do it. 

23 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

I could be barking up the wrong tree here but have you checked to see if your battery is OK as you get the same clicking if you try and turn the engine over with a failing battery. Mike

Yeah Mike Battery good as are the connections the guy checked ignition and just about everything else ...I'm afraid the starter is gone :sad:

• Like 1

Is this the one I found for you Jim?

Mine went around 3 years after I bought it but did it myself for the cost of the parts, it's the upper intake that has to come off and anything connected to it, back breaking job.

Are you having a new starter for the cost or yours repaired?

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Is this the one I found for you Jim?

Mine went around 3 years after I bought it but did it myself for the cost of the parts, it's the upper intake that has to come off and anything connected to it, back breaking job.

Are you having a new starter for the cost or yours repaired?

Yep Steve the same car I have a mobile mechanic who is going to fit  a brand new starter for me on Tuesday I thought about a recon unit but because its such a pain to fit decided new was the best way to go... I'm not complaining the car has been nothing other than brilliant over the past 3 years

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wackyjim said:

Yep Steve the same car I have a mobile mechanic who is going to fit  a brand new starter for me on Tuesday I thought about a recon unit but because its such a pain to fit decided new was the best way to go... I'm not complaining the car has been nothing other than brilliant over the past 3 years

Was a good find, the guy who sold it to you bought a TVR...... bet he's had a bit more than a starter motor in 3 years :biggrin:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Was a good find, the guy who sold it to you bought a TVR...... bet he's had a bit more than a starter motor in 3 years :biggrin:

I bet he has!!!! I remember his wife not being too happy at him selling me the Lexus :laugh:

On 9/12/2016 at 0:03 PM, steve2006 said:

Both my TVRs were faultless in the several years I owned them, strange it may seem but to be honest if the Lexus I just took ownership of is as reliable as my TVRs I will be very happy... Now, my Merc SL500 - that's another (very sad) story!

I had my starter contacts replaced around 20 months ago, and I have just started getting the dreaded clicking / rattling sound, the starter turning over slower than usual. It has, reluctantlt, started every time so far, but I need to get mine sorted.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links