Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 - what's not to like?

After my car for four months the only real gripe I've got is the lack of  cup holders in the front of the car! It could probably do with a bit more 'grunt' as well but it does ok on that front, I suppose. 

So, what don't YOU like about your 250? 

They are comfy quiet well specked. beautifully finished inside and out. Paint work is soft wheels are made out of the worst material known to man.

Not the fastest by any means, but as the speed limit is 70 they do the job. Brilliant stereo heating and cooling. Not had to change a bulb as of yet.

Instruments are easy to read everything is to hand. Could of done with sunglass holder { sel do i think. } I dont drink or eat in my cars so not 

interested in cup holders. Bigger boot or drop down back seats would be usefull. Everbody has different needs so you will get lots of different answers.

I think the IS250 is a great car, however it does have a few flaws;

1. 0-60 is pretty poor consider its a such a big engine. 

2. MPG is really bad, City driving (which I do a lot of) means I get roughly 19mpg.... my mates c63amg gets the same....(when he doesn't put his foot down)

3. Parts are expensive - I suspect a lack of Indy part manufacturers are to blame (esp exhaust - £2,500+)

Apart from that its much better looking, better built and better equipped than an equivalent 07 plate 3 series/C-Class/A4. I would trade up to the new shape but the new interior design/style is horrid, ugly, plastic and cheap looking. Reminds me of a 1980's Alba radio from Argos. 

There really isn't a lot not to like, sometimes I wish it had a bit more power to backup the F-Sports looks but I can live with the power

The only issue I have with the car in 12 months of ownership is the back seats not going down its a ball ache sometimes

They age really well in my option...I currently have a private plate on my 55 reg is250 and no one believes me that it's 11 years old...a lot of kit in the car and all in working order...

smooth auto gear boxes, excellent sound system, comfy seats with hot and cold etc! 

• Like 1

Nothing to dislike about is250, it's quite, comfortable, got all toys, as speed is concerned use sports mode and got paddle shift but average speed in London 20-30 mph anyway. It's better refined car, get more toys then bmw,audi mercs. It's v6 mpg not bad on motorway. Best car ever driven I did come from is220d so this lot quieter 

15 hours ago, mk_lon said:

I think the IS250 is a great car, however it does have a few flaws;

1. 0-60 is pretty poor consider its a such a big engine. 

2. MPG is really bad, City driving (which I do a lot of) means I get roughly 19mpg.... my mates c63amg gets the same....(when he doesn't put his foot down)

3. Parts are expensive - I suspect a lack of Indy part manufacturers are to blame (esp exhaust - £2,500+)

Apart from that its much better looking, better built and better equipped than an equivalent 07 plate 3 series/C-Class/A4. I would trade up to the new shape but the new interior design/style is horrid, ugly, plastic and cheap looking. Reminds me of a 1980's Alba radio from Argos. 

I was at Lexus Chester a month ago and sat in the new RX. Looks lovely but the cabin was pretty uninspiring for a premium brand.

I've just come back from my first visit to a franchise dealer with my 9 year old IS250 SEL. I have a small leak near the water pump and I need 2 rear tyres. Pretty good for an old car.

My only gripes are ones that may be the setup of my car:

Road noise from the tyres seems loud

I find the steering and brakes have a bit too much servo assistance for my taste, a bit too much nose diving under brakes.

The dreaded dash rattle, which I need to focus some time on, as the there are lots of solutions in the forum.

Rear wheel drive, smooth auto, six cylinders, what's not to like?

I disagree with fuel economy. I think it has brilliant economy for a 2.5 v6 both city and motorway driving.

2 issues on my part:

1. Not quick enough. 

2. Not enough of a v6 rumble noise ( If someone could help me out with this point I would be grateful. HFC on my 350z sorted that car out,  is there a similar set up for the IS? Not sure about going down the custom exhaust route yet)

The paint on the alloy wheels is the absolute WORST thing about the IS mk2. Corrosion and bubbling reported by many owners. I had my fronts swapped out under warranty and less than 2 years later they did the same. The only way around this is to get them professionally refurbished at a cost of about £75 per wheel.

I agree that it's deeply odd that a manufacturer that positions itself on quality has such a common and obvious problem. Their biggest market is the US where salt on roads is also common. What I learned is that if buying used, get the wheels done as part of the deal. The trader doesn't pay VAT so there is a deal to be done...

I have been live chatting with JR tuning this morning. Guy did not know it was advertised for the is250. Told me to ring them tomorrow, so may do see what they say.

Trouble with non turbo cars, you are limited to what gains are possible. Torque is another kettle of fish altogether.

Just recieved this from poland.

hello
first of all I want to thank you for your interest in my auction.
So it will work in your car.
Adds more power to the engine, from 15 to 25BHP - the Increase in power depends on the capacity and the initial power of the engine.
Car Reaches higher maximum speed, better acceleration, better dynamics and responds better for the gas pedal.
The device after connecting the OBD2 diagnostic connector reads the data from the computer of the car. Gets all the information supplied to the computer and analyzes them. On the basis of the original map, Having collected data creates a new one. Selecting the appropriate settings algorithms operate in a safe limit of 30% of the output power. The generated map is shown on the external controller which is now the car computer will download the new map. When you disconnect your computer back to its factory settings - reads the original map from your memory.
I invite you to buy
If you have any questions, write to me
best regards
Darek

I'll say that it will work.
Listen you have the possibility to try out the device for 30 days if you are not satisfied with the operation of the device can send back to me and I will give you money.
You do not lose anything.
Delivery time is two working days

Another reply from poland.

I would say my main pain is brakes. They are undersized for the car (ideally IS/GS350 upgrade is needed), which results in excess wear to rotors, brake pads, sticking calipers and excess brake dust.

As IS250 is not performance car I have no issue with 0-60 times, you can still take on any boy-racer with modified Corsa. But I believe for this car segment is more important you can cruse at 90MPH effortlessly. Equally, I have no issue with fuel consumption considering the weight of the car and engine size. I do 70% of city driving, so nice mix of roads and my consumption over last 10k miles is 28.2MPG, since the purchase of the car ~30k miles ~27.8MPG. With the comfort and performance it gives and my often congested route I consider this and excellent MPG. One trick to the fuel consumption (not so much trick, but rather common sense) - "drive your car like a train or a ship".... it is heavy car, so majority of the consumption happens when accelerating, your worst enemy is brakes (and the are as well not great) - so look at as much as possible ahead of you and make decision early, idle to traffic lights and traffic ahead, rather than "boy-racer" style accelerating right to the lights and then brake. At least my car is excellent for idling, I can cut off the engine and just roll for mile or so with MPH dropping very slowly (that is again because its heavy car and has a lot of inertia).

I have no issue with alloys, though originals were replaced on warranty in 2010, to facelift IS250 Advance alloys and for more than 6 years no problem with corrosion ( don't know the reason for original alloys being replaced, possibly badly kerbed or something).

Replying to original OP - there are actually 2 cup holders in glove box, so total 3 in front. I know they are not well designed and doesn't hold cups well, but they are there.

Some of other points which only applies to pre-face lift (mine is 2008). Mirrors doesn't automatically fold (you need aftermarket kit for that PO-40), you cannot downshift with paddle form D, No DLR's and no way to set headlights to turn on automatically (auto-mode turn them-off during the day).

Most importantly Lexus IS250 AT offer most for the least in used cars market and it is unbelievably reliable and well build car. 

On 9/23/2016 at 2:44 PM, madasahatter said:

Could of done with sunglass holder { sel do i think. } 

It was not an option in the UK market. As far as I know it was only available in the US.

TBH I don't think its that clever an idea really. The glasses are being stored in a place that can get incredibly hot ...probably end up buckling the arms if you were unlucky.

On 9/25/2016 at 0:01 AM, juicestop said:

The paint on the alloy wheels is the absolute WORST thing about the IS mk2. Corrosion and bubbling reported by many owners. I had my fronts swapped out under warranty and less than 2 years later they did the same. The only way around this is to get them professionally refurbished at a cost of about £75 per wheel.

Agreed on that point.

Just had mine done....now they look the dog's danglers.

The guy that did mine said he had done loads of Lexus wheels and agreed that their paint job on their wheels is rubbish. You could peel off near fag paper sized leaves from my wheels they were that bad.

On 23/09/2016 at 8:41 PM, lex28 said:

They age really well in my option...I currently have a private plate on my 55 reg is250 and no one believes me that it's 11 years old...a lot of kit in the car and all in working order...

smooth auto gear boxes, excellent sound system, comfy seats with hot and cold etc! 

Hi Lex 28,

I agree with you wholeheartedly on that point. I just bought the exact same model as yours with the 55 reg plate number and really do enjoy driving it around. :-)

Also, what tyres have you got in there at the front and rear? Any recommendations?

And hould the tyre pressure in the front be 35 PSI and the rear being 38 PSI?

Regards

Tyres and pressures are a big question. I run 36 front 38 rear on goodyears,thats on 18s 40 profile cars really comfy. I run same on 17s 45 profile.

Depends on the tyres some run same front and rear, some run less pressure if tyres have hard side walls. Just look to make sure sure they are wearing even.