Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Judging by the reviews, some of the Avon Tyres seem OK. 

However, Id probably opt for Uniroyal Rainsport as they are generally quite cheap to buy but have great performance in the wet (which lets face it, is the UK for 8 months!)

I've got Avon ZV7 all round. Excellent tyres in all respects but I can't comment on wear yet. They are designed and made in UK , Avon have an excellent racing pedigree and  have been oem suppliers to manufacturers including Rolls Royce and Aston Martin for many years - not sure if they still are or who they currently supply.

I have every confidence in them - and I paid £297.74 all inclusive for all 4 (225 and 245 section 17") from Halfords (via cartyres.com (edited 5/10/16)) in June.

This year I replaced all 4 of the 18" tyres on my Volvo with Avons, I got them via Black Circles for £97 each including fitting.  I just got back from a trip to Wales where we covered nearly 900 miles.  The tyres are quiet and the wet grip is excellent.  I can't recommend them more highly, and as John says, they're made in the UK.

12 hours ago, rayaans said:

Judging by the reviews, some of the avon tyres seem OK. 

However, Id probably opt for Uniroyal Rainsport as they are generally quite cheap to buy but have great performance in the wet (which lets face it, is the UK for 8 months!)

Got those on mine now and certainly improve wet driving.

urgg... I went with Michelin last night. Price was too low so got concerned. National tyres listed them mid range. 

I had Khumo tyres and they are bald after 7000 miles. So I am staying away from mid range now... But if they were premium... 

I used to run Goodyear Eagle F1's, I find they need replacing after just 8k, they are noisey despite being "69db" etc.

Then my mum bought a TT with 19" TT RS wheels from factory, which on Avon ZV5's were much quieter than my eagle f1's on 17's, suffice to say I save money by going for Avons all the time now, My a3 has zv5's on the front and zv7's on the back (zv5's replacement) I managed to get them buy one get one half price at National. They grip really well, taken some corners (I just moved to North Wales) I have never been round before too fast and not a problem, the eagle F1's had soft outer walls so they would squirm if you went too fast.

I really think these sites like mytyrereview etc are all paid off by Goodyear and Michelin etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a full set of Avon ZV5's on my old is200, fantastic in the wet and really good in the dry, I've since had 2 full sets of Falkens that haven't been as good in the wet.

• 4 weeks later...

Avon on my front, on offer when I enquired, no problems, but not being an expert on understeer, oversteer and all the other boblox people mention about tyres and steering I may have bought some ditch finders.

They were the "go to " tyres for my motorbikes in the '70s/'80s.

1 hour ago, ahmedali44 said:

Went this afternoon to get my tyres fitted and apparently cartyres. com got new system so no tyres were ordered by Halfords, so going in again on Thursday now Halfords gonna order them. 

I can't get Avons up on cartyres.com - maybe they've stopped doing them?

cartyres.jpg

If you use the search box and enter tyre size (eg 225/45 17), your postcode and Lexus, they will show on the list (amongst lots of others not shown on the Tyre Brands menu)

Or under 'savings' - by tyre brand.

51 minutes ago, johnatg said:

If you use the search box and enter tyre size (eg 225/45 17), your postcode and Lexus, they will show on the list (amongst lots of others not shown on the Tyre Brands menu)

Or under 'savings' - by tyre brand.

Well it worked - partially. I'd already searched by size and Lexus but to no avail.

Using your method under 'Savings' I did indeed find Avons, but not in my size (235/55 18V) :wallbash:

Thanks anyway John

Sorry to muscle in on you IS250 lads, but I'm another with ZV7s all round. Only now the temperature has started to drop have they started to get a bit twitchy in the wet; time to switch onto my winter wheels and tyres, which incidentally are also Avons!

57 minutes ago, gdh300 said:

Sorry to muscle in on you IS250 lads, but I'm another with ZV7s all round. Only now the temperature has started to drop have they started to get a bit twitchy in the wet; time to switch onto my winter wheels and tyres, which incidentally are also Avons!

Now you've done it :ohmy:

After reading how you folks all seem to like the Avons I had just about made my mind up to go for four ZX7s on my RX300, (235/55 18V) and now you've just made me wonder about the wisdom of my choice!

In more than 40 years of driving I've never had winter tyres and I still don't see the need for them, but are the Avons any worse than any other 'all season' tyres as the temps drop? Just in case anyone's wondering (or can point to somewhere cheaper) the best price I've found is £96.99 per tyre fully fitted at Halfords.

1 hour ago, gdh300 said:

Slowing down and drive to the conditions always does it for me. In wet weather your tyres will have less grip on the road. :yucky: simples.

My own opinion with winters tyres has been coloured by my experience in my pre-Lexus life. I've had fairly boring front wheel drive hatchbacks before my IS300 and have experienced the shocking snow performance of summer Dunlops on snow, and conversely the security of Avon Ice Tourings in some tricky site visits in North Wales. When I went back to rear wheel drive (after about 25 years), it seemed even more important to make the switch in November. Not that the last two winters here in Hampshire have warranted them in terms of snow fall, but they are certainly more secure in cool wet, slimy or frost conditions. Not for everyone of course, the more expert driver for example.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I wouldn't doubt the ZV7s ability to handle a wet British winter, particularly on an RX300. When I say 'twichy', I referring to TC cutting in on tight corners at slow speed over manhole cover, gravel, leaf mulch, etc. I'm not a drifter by any means, but I found my previous Dunlops (combined with my IS's very nanny-like TC) would chirrup on the lightest of throttle application. The Avon's were a marked improvement on these. But relying on my car for site visits, and having a resolvable commute over potentially mixed roads, I prefer to have a set of winters available; snow or not.

• Like 1

That's weird no Avon listed anymore sorcerer is right, when I ordered mine they were showing at 86.99 but not listed now I'm not sure if on Thursday might say sorry can't get them. blackcircle still list them for 90.18 each but on eBay were showing at 87 each but was only showing 1.

Will find out on Thursday if still available through cartyres if not get from blackcircle. will update on Thursday 

Interesting discussion. I had quite a twitchy drive home today in the wet with the TC coming on and off at some junctions (wet road,lots of leaves, etc). I'm still running the Evergreen EU72's that were on the car when I bought it 6 months ago. They have just done 7k of motorway miles this summer but the rear ones have started to wear on the inner shoulder for some reason. and are not giving me great confidence in the wet. So I've been looking for replacements. Will have a good look at Avon's as the other stuff I usually have, like the Continentals are a bit dearer.

BTW For the last 5 years I've had winter tyres on one of the family cars - all FWD, as some days it would have been the only way I got to work and back. This year I might have to go begging for the wifes Megane now I've sold my Golf GTi and put my winter tyre on hers! I used to enjoy watching the neighbour slide his 3 series into my hedge every winter as he discovered they don't go up hills with summer tyres on.

National Tyres has the Avons for 71.03 fully fitted.

Well, I took the plunge. I ordered four Avon ZX7s (235/55 R18 100V) from http://www.tyreshopper.co.uk at a fully fitted price of £387.48, but used a discount code (TS4 - buying four tyres gets you 5% discount) to bring the price down to £368.11. I also went through http://www.topcashback.co.uk and got 3.15% cashback, making the final, fully-fitted price £356.51.

They are being fitted on Friday afternoon at a local branch of National Tyres who, if I'd bought the exact same tyres directly from them, would have charged me £421.64.

Not a bad bargain methinks :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links