Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Shocks

PaulandLouise1

Just been  to my local dealer for a health check before my warranty runs out and they say one of my rear shocks are leaking so need replacing. I clarified if they where doing the 2 of them and they said no only the one ? I did check numerous times that that was correct as I was always told that 2 together needed doing to save an imbalance over rough ground and also when cornering / braking..... any ideas is just changing one correct ? -and if not has anyone else had both done when it's just one failed under warranty ...thanks 

Admittedly I've never had a Lexus warranty but I do have experience of other warranties and usually, yes, they only replace the failed part, even in cases like this where normal advice is to do them in pairs.

In my case it was tailgate gas struts on a Nissan. I even provided written evidence that they should be replaced in pairs but the warranty company wouldn't have it. "Only one has failed, so only one is covered by the warranty" they said, and I had to pay for the other one myself if I wanted both doing.

This is correct.

Unfortunately, the warranty is quite literal on the subject of failed parts.  They will change only the one that has broken.

Although, unless you travel over some particularly rough ground, it is probably unlikely you will notice any imbalance.  Also, technically, changing one should be fine; it is just common sense to change both at the same time since they usually wear out at the same rate, so you are likely to need the other one changed at a similar time.

Now if only warranty companies used common sense! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Given that one has failed, that the others are sure to follow and the recent posts on the forums of "misting" shock absorbers it may be a good idea to extend your warranty given that Lexus charge £595.00 each for them fitted.

You have an option to complain and you might get decision in your favor, after all it costs nothing to complain. I suggest to refer to maintenance manual which for any car will state that such part like shocks must be replaced in pairs.

• 5 months later...

Changed the rears on mine - failed (leaked) withing a month of each other.  A bit of a pig of a job really!  It should be far easier to change a shock!  I got KYBs as they are considerably cheaper than the Toki

IMG_20170219_155733864.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I have a is250 (74,000 miles) and the last couple of years I’ve had an annoying knock on the front right.

Ive had a Mechanic check all the bushes and joints but can’t find anything.

I fitted new drop links just in case but made no difference.

He did notice some play in the brake Caliper carrier guide pins.

I had new guide pins fitted but this didn’t seem to make a difference.

So I’m wondering if maybe it’s a shocker on its way out

Top mount looks fine but it’s fairly difficult to diagnose a failed shock.

Are the Toki shocks the standard fit for the 220D and is250?

just wondering where you got these from and how much?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Captain Kipper said:

Hi

I have a is250 (74,000 miles) and the last couple of years I’ve had an annoying knock on the front right.

Ive had a Mechanic check all the bushes and joints but can’t find anything.

I fitted new drop links just in case but made no difference.

He did notice some play in the brake Caliper carrier guide pins.

I had new guide pins fitted but this didn’t seem to make a difference.

So I’m wondering if maybe it’s a shocker on its way out

Top mount looks fine but it’s fairly difficult to diagnose a failed shock.

Are the Toki shocks the standard fit for the 220D and is250?

just wondering where you got these from and how much?

Thanks

eBay item number:
  • Thanks 1