Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine improvments

Scott roddis

Doubt you will find much more than the remap.

The Lexus IS just isn't the kind of car that generally attracts modifications (although there are a couple of very nice modified examples on this forum).

Besides, ideally what would you like to do to it?  A remap will get you some more power, but to be honest, just making sure it runs smoothly is what most people aim for :smile:

As above... The ECU for this engine is not cracked so no remaps available. But above all, the engine is so unreliable that Lexus themselves have down-clocked it with face-lift model, hence the difference in names 220d>200d. So increasing power on this engine is not great idea, your best bet is to reduce the power and maybe improve smoothness and reliability (which is sadly not availability either).

On 08/10/2016 at 1:39 AM, Shahpor said:

Doubt you will find much more than the remap.

The Lexus IS just isn't the kind of car that generally attracts modifications (although there are a couple of very nice modified examples on this forum).

Besides, ideally what would you like to do to it?  A remap will get you some more power, but to be honest, just making sure it runs smoothly is what most people aim for :smile:

It runs absolutely fine just looking for a bit for go in the engine and to try and get rid of the turbo lag. Think I'm getting the live remap done and egr and dpf delete. Was just wondering about different intercoolers etc.

The turbo lag is terrible.  I have been caught off boost several times and it can be downright dangerous.

I was considering one of these:

https://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/lexus/is/is_220d_175_bhp__177_ps__130_kw/lexus_is_220d_175_bhp_177_ps_130_kw_crtd4_twin_channel_diesel_tuning_box_chip_P12052.html

A EGR and DPF delete would definitely help the engine run better, but most people don't want to mess about with it because of the engine management system going crazy.  I have seen a few people on here saying they have done it, but never actually seen the results.  Would be interesting to find out.  Personally, I don't really mind the DPF, but the EGR is a pain.

Not to mention that EGR and DPF delete it is outright crime! 

Very well that you want to get little bit extra of power, but no need to poison us all with your unfiltered diesel fumes, get petrol..

Probably no, but still I don't understand why people think that its OK, to cut something out just because... and pollute. I am not big environmentalist, but this is still beyond me. It is the same morale as throw old engine oil/brake fluid into the river, or throw old tires into the bushes. One must be ashamed to say that, but for diesel owners that is somehow norm... maybe not all, but that is impression - just cut the DPF and all be fine.

As well it is not my opinion, but it is in fact illegal to remove DPF.... I still don't understand how these cars gets through MOT... possible have ways to get "postal MOT"... as they definitely should fail solid particles test.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/10573720/DPF-removal-the-facts.html

Well, personally, I think it is a matter of perspective.  There is a scale to such things, and oil into rivers is much worse in my opinion.  The simple fact is that, compared to lorries, bus, trains, ships, etc.., cars put out a lot less pollutants.  I am not saying they are harmless, but there are certainly bigger fish to fry if you want to clean the air up.

Also, dumping tyres into bushes is just lazy, but there is a benefit to removing the DPF.  The most obvious one is that it won't get blocked, like so many diesel owners have experienced.  Also, the engine will run better without it.  For example, I was getting juddering a low revs and sluggish power delivery, but since I have had my DPF regen'd, the problem has gone away.  The car is more efficient too, so it burns less fuel. 

As far as MOT's are concerned, you have to remember it is a visual check only, so if you gut it and put it back on the car, there is no way for the MOT tester to know.  The emission test only covers Carbon Monoxide and Hydro Carbon's, so they don't test for Nitrogen Oxide as far as I know.

DPF has nothing to do with Nitrogen Oxide - as the name suggest it is diesel particulate filter and it traps soot ... aka that black smoke you get out of exhaust. Obviously, as the exhaust fumes goes over it in very high temps, there is potential that other pollutants are burned as well (not NOx though). 

You see we going to have same discussion again, so you can ignore below, because we already had this discussion and I know that you drive IS220d, because you do mostly long journey and motorways.. but for the rest - if you DPF gets blocked ... mate! you got the wrong car or you drive it wrong... diesel is no suitable for any kind of city driving. Any diesel with DPF needs to be on 70% motorway/30% (at most) city driving and it needs to be revved to 2-3k RPM to regenerate DPF. If you not doing sort of driving diesel is not for you.

The problem is that people thinks that they will save money with diesel without understand where the benefits are and that instead of treating the cause of their problems (wrong choice of the car), they treat the symptoms - removes DPFs etc. As well the ones who do motorway driving, instead of sticking with 5th gear for 20 minutes and regenerating DPF, they try to save that 2.5MPG and stays in 6th all the time.. and eventually they have they DPF blocked even on motorway.. because even at 70MPH@6th gear RPM is too low to generate enough heat to regenerate DPF.

It is true that there are bigger fishes in terms of pollution, but that doesn't mean is fine to pollute. So based on you example is fine to throw oil to the river, because there are factories in Russia which does it on industrial scale?! or it is fine to throw tire to bushes, because somewhere is company doing that on much bigger scale.

Well, that wasn't so bad :smile:

Yep, we are in agreement; If you only drive urban, diesel no good for you!

Personally, I think I will go back to petrol for my next car.  I don't mind the engine in my car as is, but the whole EGR/DPF thing is a headache I can do without, and I will probably be doing a lot less mileage soon, so economy won't be much of an issue.

Funnily enough, I actually spent about 20 minutes on the M25 a couple of days ago at 2200rpm to give my DPF a good clean out.

Exactly, so even for people who uses the car properly like you it is still inconvenient. I wouldn't look for a diesel unless I do 20-30k miles annually or if I do round trips e.g. once a week for 100-200 miles one way, otherwise that diesel economy kicks back with bunch of problems.

To the original topic - if you want to improve on the engine... first thing you need is stable and reliable engine, something IS220/200d doesn't have. Secondly, you need popular engine which has aftermarket kits for it, not like Lexus locked down ECU which is not cracked yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Why do people on this still think the the denso/lexus ecus still haven't been cracked? 

They been cracked for over a year had mine done 6 months ago massive difference worth every penny! drives like the petrol but lots of torque too

Don't listen to people on here to much Scott they have a massive downer on the diesels and find diesels inferior to them

When the diesel is just as good as the petrol! thousands or cars come out new and find they have problems and have recalls(could be worse you could have a zafifa!) just make sure its been back to lexus for revised head lol

Also the old story of lexus diesels is220 been so bad lexus stopped making them is horse too(from dave at lex-tech Sheffield- 16 year head tech at lexus)

Lexus dropped the diesel range for hybrid that was always the plan to look to the future 

• 1 month later...