Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter tyre switch

17 hours ago, CharlieC said:

How`s the clearance on the fronts,any rubbing on full lock?

Rubs a little - only on full lock and on the side where the rear of the wheel is nearest the inside of the wheel arch and is under load.

Not enough to be a concern. Bought the wheels 2nd hand, the guy who had them before me ran 265 width tyres on his isf without rolling arches etc.

• Like 1

Winter tyres all the way, well worth the investment and time. We have a Volvo XC60 AWD also, it was shamed by my Audi S3 on winters., a RWD car on winters will sail past a 4x4 on summers in bad snow...

[/url]  

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vOv2g5qTpvA?feature=oembed' rel="external nofollow">

Forgive me but I am not sure how that sounds, because surely The 4x4 is superior to two wheel drive with snow tires because with all four wheels getting traction then surely that is the ultimate answer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok bad example it just happens the S3 was my last car. It is of course the ultimate answer 4x4 on winters but my RX8 R3 and BMW 335d were both RWD and were a whole heap better in the winter than the 4x4 on summers. I don't have a need for the Volvo to run winters as it never does any real miles, it does the nursery run, an odd trip into town and the load lugging in summer for our trips. 

• 1 month later...

So, when can I take these winters off again?

Temps are predominantly north of 7C here in the central belt of Scotland (I know slightly ironic given those in The South busy complaining of a little chilly weather). I'm just aware that the winter tyres work best below a certain point.

I would wait a couple of weeks yet.....

According to the Met Office - we have more chance of snow at easter than we do at Christmas.

In the past couple of years I generally take the winters off during the first or second week of March. You can generally see the weather trend for a fortnight ahead - so at that time you can see through to the end of the month.  Temperatures then generally will be high enough, and any cold spells wont last.....

Always remember guy's winters are also very effective in wet conditions the dissipation advantages are considerably better than 'summers', at this time of year.

Worked in the tyre testing industry for Michelin in a previous life, stick with them for the appropriate months of the year, even if there is no white stuff !

I have them on my Personal works Transit from October to April, have done so for many years.

Big Rat

11 minutes ago, lotusdave said:

absolutely. Besides sometimes it snows in April as prince sang.

How right you are, now this will age me I was driving my 24v Vauxhall Senator April 1992 M4 West in the early hours of the morning and it started as I got between Bath and Bristol lost count of the number of pirouettes I did on the downhill section.

Thankfully that time of day not a lot of traffic, not the actual car but for the benefit of some of you young ones here's a pic.

IMG_0283.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ooh old skool - digital dash? Last time I saw a Senator it was white and the two blokes inside pulled me over for supposedly driving too fast. I got a lecture until the driver realised I'd sat on his hat when I got in. Instant ticket - oops! (I was 17, nuff said).

I'm currently driving the old family winter hack (4Motion Passat) while the ISF is tucked up for winter. It doesn't get stuck in the snow, but it's a handful in the ice. Thinking ahead to next winter, what brand of winter tyres are recommended? I run Michelin 4Ss for summer. Thanks.

Just put my winters on the ISF and Jeep this week.. as it's been very mild here in Kent so far this year.

My summer tyres are absolutely shot to bits and barely legal tread wise.  I did however have a lot of fun knowing they were end of life...

I've just ticked off 90,000 miles in my ISF, so nearly 50,000 since I picked it up 5 1/2 years ago! 

Dave

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links