Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter tyre switch

I'm planning to switch my 2008 ISF over to winter tyres in the next few weeks. First time I have considered winters, just wondering the general consensus on winter tyres for this high powered rear wheel drive car? I don't see it as an additional cost as they will extend the life of my summer tyres. Has anyone experienced how effective these will be at giving additional grip on the ISF?

Not on the Lexus (yet) but on my Merc I ran winter tyres and it does make a big difference in grip levels, especially when temps drop and you get a little frost on the roads.

I had 3 years out of my Michelin Pilot Alpines, which I think were a good investment as they really kept the car on the road in some very bad conditions (it's my daily driver). I've been prevaricating a little about buying some more given the weather has been so mild, however as my summer tyres are now pilot super sports, rather than the old sport 2s I had before, I think I will get some winters again. 

I've run winters for the past 3 years. 1 year on a fwd Saab 9-3 aero and 2 years on an awd Galant VR4 and noticed the difference in bad weather. Will definitely be getting some for the ISF and switching over around November time. 

Your handbook usually lists the options. Generally winter tyres are narrower than standard tyres. Gives a higher load per square inch to give best grip.

That said I ran winter tyres of the same specification as the 'summer' tyres t no detriment in performance.

The biggest influence on tyre cost is when you choose to by them. Get them during the early summer is normally the cheapest.

Thanks for the feedback chaps, think it's definitely worth the switch based on the response. When I purchased my ISF at the end of Feb, it came with the slightly bigger tyres sizes fitted which many have opted for on here. Any thoughts on whether to get winters in these sizes or revert to the factory sizes?

20 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Same for winter tires if the temp is above 7degC

I bought an X308 Jaguar XJR a few years back that had winters on at the time. They were fine in spring and summer and even handled a drive from Leeds to Belgium and back. 

I thought winter tyres just wear at an accelerated rate when it gets warmer, rather than lose grip, leaving aside the speed restrictions which only really make a difference if you are autobahning or on the track.

Hi Guys - I have to say I am completely ambivalent on this debate.  I've read and heard a lot about the tyre change for the winter period (something that has become 'trendy' in the last 5-6 years as no doubt tyre firms and fitters see a new sales op) and for the one in every 6-8 years we have a prolonged snowy period always think I will do it, we then have a run of mild winters and it seems unnecessary.  I always balk at the thought of spending best part of a grand on tyres only needed for four months, having my old ones changed, storing the summer ones and reversing the whole painful process in the spring and repeating it the following year.  Outside of a layer of snow/ice on the roads, I really don't see the point.

I know in many countries like Germany it is the law you do this, but then their winters make it common sense to do this anyway, whereas in most of the UK it's about 3-4 weeks per year in bad winters you really need this.

Am I missing something?

• Like 1

It all depends on where you live and what the weather is like. I'm a Northern Monkey (Leeds) and live at the top of a hill (on a sloped driveway) so winter tyres are a necessity for me. 

I'm an even further north monkey and while today was the first morning that fell into the right climatic conditions for winters, I'm not going to make the move yet. The temp has to be below 7C consistently for it to be worth the switch over.

I have a pile to winters in bags in my basement ready to go. Can't remember the make, but they're standard size and only been used for 2 seasons. They came with the car.

Soon ..... but not quite yet.

I also need to find a local tyre place that will do the switch for a reasonable cost and not bugger up the alloys

No, I totally get the need for this if you live in a part of the UK with regular snow etc.  Interesting to hear from people on their approach to this.  I doubt I will do this, but of course if we get a back winter who knows... :)

6 hours ago, JonP said:

I thought winter tyres just wear at an accelerated rate when it gets warmer, rather than lose grip, leaving aside the speed restrictions which only really make a difference if you are autobahning or on the track.

That is one of misconceptions and one of the reasons I am not using winter or even MS tires in UK (at least south part). As summer tires gets too hard in temperatures below 7deg, same is for winter tires - they become too soft at temperatures above 7deg. That is true they wear much faster, but as well you have worse handling and braking - as if you have under-inflated tires. One other thing to mention - 7deg, is not the temperature of the air - it is temperature of the tire compound. So for example air can be -11deg, but if you are doing 140MPH on autobahn your tire compound temperature can be 45deg and they are effectively overheating and wearing at accelerated rate + you have mushy handling and your only real advantage is the extra thread of winter tires (or spikes if you have them).

At least in London and all south part of UK, the temperatures are so rarely below 7, or more importantly below 0 ( that is where you can get most advantages of winter tires) that I would had advantages of winter tires maybe 2 morning in the year... waste of money.

However, I completely agree that somewhere in Scotland, there might be a place where such tires makes sense - I would say if you have at least a month with temps below 0 - go for winter tires.

15 hours ago, GibletPH said:

I bought an X308 Jaguar XJR a few years back that had winters on at the time. They were fine in spring and summer and even handled a drive from Leeds to Belgium and back. 

That is completely possible, it is not like they going to fail in 100miles - a lot depends on speed, but handling won't be the same and in extreme cornering or stopping situation they would be not as good as summer tires.

I've ran winter tyres  for about the last 10 winters or so - all on rear drive cars, the last one being an m5.

When the temp drops, and if the white stuff doesn't arrive they still make a big difference. Grip, ride and braking feel is greatly improved over summer performance tyres.

my last 2 cars, the m5 and an e350 merc ran michelin super sports and conti sport contacts respectively - great tyres for spirited driving in the spring and summer, but in the very limited experience I had in both in the snow were pathetic. Looking at the tread pattern the grooves in the tyre primarily run radially, great for shifting water, but offer no purchase in snow or slush.

the winters on both were conti winter contacts - lots of tread blocks, radial and lateral tread, and little chines on each tread block that are supposed to grip the snow. Whatever they transformed each car - the merc I ran through the winter of 2011-12 travelling daily into the middle of Northumberland for work, and  it never once felt as if the car was out of control. I used the tyres on the car for 3 winters, and they still have enough tread (5mm+)to be used again - probably did 18-20k miles on them changing back to summers in late march.

So for me they are a absolute no brainer - I've already got my wheels 10 x19 linea corse lc818 rims and 265/30 Bridgestone blizzaks all round  to go on. 

Should not only be able to handle anything the winter throws our way, but should look good too.

• Like 2

wouldn't be without them on any of our cars.  okay, last winger was so mild down south but who is to say this one will be? It's not a cost thing for me, its about being able to brake and turn on snow which on normal tyres is appalling. Until you've experienced who good they are when its icy or snowing, you won't appreciate them.

also little bits of oversteer are easier which makes me smile.

Certainly did, thanks Sandy, hoping to getting them fitted in the next couple of weeks.  As I've found a complete set, I now have 2 redundant; Continental ContiWinterContact TS810S MO 96V. Brand new tyres purchased from eBay a few weeks ago, which were sold as old stock. These are in the slightly larger sizes which are popular on the here for the ISF. I had been hanging on for the matching set, then Sandy's ready set became available. If anyone's interested in these let me know. 

Screenshot_20161018-212002~2.png

Just ordered my winter setup. Have always run winters even on my old Quattro's. Good formula for winter setup is cheap rims, good tyres. In this instance went for a square setup of 225's at each corner. The fox rims vaguely reminded me of the LFA rim so should look ok... for the relatively short period they will be on each year.

Once these arrive will have my originals fully refurbished (not that they really need it but I cant stand even the smallest mark) so will be chemical stripped to bare metal and powdercoated. Good times

IMG_7180.PNG

• Like 2