Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Finally got the exhaust on - wife's on nights and kids are out so had time to do this.

Took me from 10am to 6pm to get it on after fettling a few pipes. Well impressed at how its turned out - relatively easy to do it if you take your time and get the parts altogether first..

Still need to do a few jobs (I ran out of welding wire !!) so I still have one centre hanger to go on. Exhaust tips to go on, I have found some which take each pipe to 3" and the spoiler is due from the states at the end of next week.

The sound is a low burble at low revs and when the engine is cold - when at speed its very quiet. I have got rid of the drone at motorway speeds which I am well impressed with. Below is the pic with the exhaust done (so far) will post another pic when its complete.

1 exhaust.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent job, that'll look the business when the tips are on, very tidy job!  My LS430, being a previous face lift model doesn't have visible exhausts but there's plenty of room behind the bumper so that's a job in the pipeline.

27 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Excellent job, that'll look the business when the tips are on, very tidy job!  My LS430, being a previous face lift model doesn't have visible exhausts but there's plenty of room behind the bumper so that's a job in the pipeline.

Rover back boxes - didn't specifically go for twin boxes but they were the best fit after months of looking for a suitable box  - Just over £100 for the centre section and the boxes.... reckon that's saved me almost £3k on new and the cars back to quiet again.

Reckon it will also save me money in the future as I have made it in sections so parts can easily be replaced.

28 minutes ago, mk_lon said:

is200 Newbie you are a legend :yes:!!!

I wouldn't go that far but I am well chuffed with how it ended up. You haven't seen my welding but to be honest its getting better but not noticeable after grinding the excess metal back !!  :yahoo:

I think it's fair to say that you have just discovered the solution for a major financial pain in the rear for most lexus is250 owners, £2700 is a lot of money. I think you should take full credit and call it the newbie solution or something along those lines. 

2 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Rover back boxes - didn't specifically go for twin boxes but they were the best fit after months of looking for a suitable box  - Just over £100 for the centre section and the boxes.... reckon that's saved me almost £3k on new and the cars back to quiet again.

Reckon it will also save me money in the future as I have made it in sections so parts can easily be replaced.

That's exactly the kind of info these forums exist for, first class, looking forward to the photos of the final stage.

Excellent solution & great piece of work....... I take my hat off to you.

I have been following with interest.

Just throw this is ...... did you consider just two chrome tips ....wrapping each pair of pipes in one tip ..... maybe as an oval or a trapezium?

Or would it just be too big and ugly?

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

14 hours ago, Vintagesixtysix said:

Excellent solution & great piece of work....... I take my hat off to you.

I have been following with interest.

Just throw this is ...... did you consider just two chrome tips ....wrapping each pair of pipes in one tip ..... maybe as an oval or a trapezium?

Or would it just be too big and ugly?

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Only considered two tips as the gap in between the tail pipes does not give me a lot of options - Would have been different with the trapezium .... I might look to see whats involved

Cars not lowered - just the angle the picture was taken.

Parts used: (as assembled)

• Pipe adapter (to take the size of existing exhaust up to resonator input)
  • 1 x exhaust clamp (to clamp adapter to existing exhaust)
  • IS200 resonator
  • Pipe adapter (to take the size of resonator out pipe to the 60mm pipe size)
  • 2 x new exhaust hangers (to hold centre section up)
  • 60mm mild steel pipe (x 1 metre of) welded into a y piece to feed both back boxes
  • 2 x 60mm pipe adapters ( so you can easily remove boxes - makes it easier to fit also)
  • 2 x exhaust clamps (to clamp pipe to boxes)
  • 2 x Rover MG ZT boxes
  • 4 x 60mm to 70mm tips (not on yet)
  • 1 x diffuser spoiler (not on yet)

What I managed to salvage from old system and Rover boxes:

• Exhaust hangers x 6 (2 from the old stainless system for the centre hangers and 4 from the Rover boxes that came with hangers)
  • Curved piece of pipe from the Rover back boxes - re-used to form the angle needed to join to the y piece.

What I used:

• Welder (MIG)
  • Metal disc grinder
  • 2 standard car ramps

What it cost:

• Rover boxes @ £40
  • 60mm pipe @ £10
  • IS200 resonator @ £30
  • Exhaust tips @ £32 for the 4 of (not got yet)
  • Diffuser spoiler @ £105 from the USA (not got yet) up to you if you want to put on
  • TOTAL without diffuser £112 / with diffuser £217

How long it took:

• It took me 3 days over 3 weekends to do from start to finish - that was with the parts already to hand.
    • 1 day to sort the reversal of the pipes out on one of the Rover boxes
    • 1 day to "dry fit" the boxes only to make sure they sat in the recess well
    • 1 day to put the parts all together onto car.
    • I expect another day for the tips and for me to finish off with a weld I need to make.and to fit the diffuser

Hardest parts / issues:

• One of the Rover boxes needs cutting and reversing so that the tail pipes are the right way around (when bought they are both left facing - one needs to be right facing) Cutting this / reversing and welding back up was the hardest part but patience is a virtue !!?
  • One weld I have made is leaking - small drip of water when running - will sort this when I get more wire. Not bad considering I am new to welding.

Surprisingly - its an easy job if you have the time and patience.

• Like 2

Hmmm you live near me, does this system bring out some of the v6 noise in the otherwise muted is250? I do quite a lot of exhaust mods, and know a great way to eliminate drone (helmhotz resonators - hardly anyone in the UK seems to understand how these work!). It's quite hard to get an exhaust made for a car that sounds like a standard golf r32 for example, most turn out like boy racer exhausts even if you ask for quiet!

8 hours ago, thesmileyone said:

Hmmm you live near me, does this system bring out some of the v6 noise in the otherwise muted is250? I do quite a lot of exhaust mods, and know a great way to eliminate drone (helmhotz resonators - hardly anyone in the UK seems to understand how these work!). It's quite hard to get an exhaust made for a car that sounds like a standard golf r32 for example, most turn out like boy racer exhausts even if you ask for quiet!

It has a rumble when started from cold until the revs settle and a quieter rumble in the low gears up to 20mph then its quiet.

I took it for its first good run today going to work in full auto and its like having a new car - no drone or cabin noise - there's a bit of noise but I am listening out for it so its more noticeable to me but what has stood out is the road noise now. I did not used to have that over the noise of the old stainless exhaust !!. Amazed how the change from stainless to mild steel has changed the car completely. Took it along A roads on the way back home from work using the paddles in manual and it feels more responsive and sounds a bit more "grunty" (if thats a word?) with the windows down, but still no cabin noise.

The centre resonator I put on was a Lexus 2.0L IS200 one - looking through it it has shaped gauze to, I would imagine, help to deflect the noise, shaped in a twisting motion (4 pieces together). The stainless one I took off was a free flow. I read up about back pressures for the engine and scavenging issues but there was arguments on both sides whether a free flow was a good or bad idea - so went with gut feel !!

The Rover box when I split it to reverse the tail pipes only had one piece of mesh in it and with the two tail pipes extending 3 quarters into the box. I was expecting something a bit more elaborate. There are a few ways I read on how to eliminate drone by adding additional resonators before the back boxes to disrupt the flow of air cancelling out the sound waves but its trial and error on what size is required.

Not sure what a V6 sounds like raw - going to Liverpool at the end of the month so will give it a go through the tunnel to see what noise it creates.

I looked at adding a resonator as per the web link - a lot of owners with different cars have done this in the states and it has worked but with mixed results. Different reports on where to add the pipe etc..., there would need to be two on the IS due to the limited space under the body and then the length required to eliminate the drone would mean that the pipe is not straight and would fowl other parts under the body. I read that the pipe needed to be straight to work.

It was a while ago, possibly last year when I looked through this and a 26" long pipe requirement seems to ring a bell to get rid of the drone. Adding this to a 2 1/2 inch diameter pipe would mean finding room to add a 2 1/2 inch diameter x 26 inch long pipe x 2 to the exhaust (1 on each side) . There's just no room for that under the pan.

120 miles since installation of this with no issues - my welding wire has come and I need to weld a hanger on and get rid of a small leak which will complete the exhaust apart from the tips and spoiler. It has absolutely definitely got some "oomph" back which was probably lost when the SS exhaust went on (I cant remember what it was like before the SS exhaust went on). Its totally changed the car. Noticeable as when in auto mode I could tell when it was changing gear due to the noise difference of the exhaust... cant hear that now ... the road noise is the loudest thing in the car now (apart from the radio !!) I may have been lucky with this but educated guessing through months of looking around at different options has probably helped.

I will be putting almost 1000 miles on it by the end of next week (200 miles this weekend and 500 next week) so after that I will be happy that its working effectively. Will monitor fuel use on the motorway as well so it will be a good run for it.

2 hours ago, normski2 said:

Top work matey.... very well done

Slap on the back to you sir!!

Did you get anywhere with the CD player sound?

Well chuffed !!

As for the sound, I have music through MP3 disc, radio and aux. Radio reception on it is poor, was never like that before (a bit of interference). I want to take the head unit out to check connections, especially the fibre optic connection but I suspect its the bottom part of the unit that's goosed. At £150 to £200 to buy a new (used) one to see if it is that at fault then its an expensive gamble. The reason I think its the unit is that it wont play CD's or DVD's. It plays the video of the DVD but no sound. No sound on CD's either. Both don't have the indication that the volume is going up or down on the screen when the volume button is adjusted.

I will get to it when I have finished the exhaust/

Well there you go then....just copy your discs onto a PC and then burn them as Data discs with something like Nero.

You can get away with CD-RW's too. I've done a few of those and they work great. Just make sure the info like 'Artist' etc is there for each track and they'll have the info displayed on the screen.

Or, if you have an ipod for eg get a lead of fleabay. One that has the 30 pin connector at one end and then splits to a mini jack and a usb. Get a twin mini usb socket to plug into the power outlet and the whole lot can be plugged in and powered in the armrest cubby. The lead and socket will be around £5 or less.

Just a thought ............................................................................. I'll get my coat!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links