Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello! Long time!

So I am considering an is250 next, found one for sale really close to me, an SE-L in great condition...

but...

it has these door rubbing strips on it... they look TERRIBLE. Do these just come off or require a bodyshop?

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609147745410?radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=SE-L&sort=distance&postcode=ch11sg&maximum-mileage=100000&price-to=7000&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.4&make=LEXUS&model=IS 250&page=1

Also it says it is an SE-L but I cannot see any front parking sensors? Or any rear ones for that matter. Nor headlight washers... Is it an SE-L?

Is there anything to look out for on these cars? I know it's a random choice but I have the following marked down as potentials - Is250, GS300, RX300/350. Golf mk4 R32. Audi a3 3.2. I currently have an A3 2.0 tdi, and have had 4 A3 s-lines with a mix of engines and gearboxes but kind of bored of Audis.

Also do SE-L's come with xenons or just HID's And how easy is it to install the later headlights which had LED DRL's in the bottom? I have only seen the threads on US forums.

Thank you.

You are right mate looks hideous, seen it myself. Have you looked close at the car?

It has rear view camera, no front sensors. Heated cooled seats no xenons easy to fit hid kit. I would look around for a fully specked Sel 

with sunroof etc. Wish i had but mine has most toys so am happy. The lights you are on about are after market. You can also get led 

rears. Some Sel also have light door sills look really cool,and cost a lot of money to buy as an extra.

Ideally you should speak to the previous owner and find out how they were fitted. If they were glued, it might be possible to get them off without too much expense. 

Ryaans is our detailing expert on here, he may have a suggestion. Looks a good car on the advert.

There are not a lot of is250 at all in the uk. Travelling for cars is something that should be done really. Look at a few drive them get to know if there

is any little niggles. Try all the switches does the mileage confirm the condition in and out. Get a vehicle check best £3 you will spend. Wheels are a bain

on these cars make sure they are in good condition. Apart from that they are pretty bomb proof, cam chain so no belt to worry about. Space saver spare

not a lot of boot room, no folding rear seats. Like i say will it suit your needs? Try before you buy, dont be rushed by sales men. If they say others are 

interested say you have others to see and if it goes so be it.

9 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Travelling for cars is something that should be done really.

I live in south west Wales and I travelled to Mansfield for my first IS saloon and went to Southport for my current convertible.

I agree with Keith, your link is to a car I don't recognise as a SE-L.  I couldn't see evidence of the memory seat switches either.  Keith's link looks the business !

4 hours ago, thesmileyone said:

Also it says it is an SE-L but I cannot see any front parking sensors? Or any rear ones for that matter. Nor headlight washers... Is it an SE-L?

This is not SE-L, it is very basic SE with leather in it. 

The easiest way to know if it is SE-L or not is wood trim, rear windows blind, HID and Memory seats were standard as well as headlamps washers and parking sensors.

Regarding, door protections strips - they are non genuine and obviously (but look like they actually are) without checking them in person it is hard to say if they going to be easy to remove or not. However, I must say they look very neat (in comparison with what I have seen before) and are definitely good idea if you planning to use any public parking - my doors are covered with little dings...

9 hours ago, steveledzep said:

I live in south west Wales and I travelled to Mansfield for my first IS saloon and went to Southport for my current convertible.

I agree with Keith, your link is to a car I don't recognise as a SE-L.  I couldn't see evidence of the memory seat switches either.  Keith's link looks the business !

Second this.  I'm near Warrington and traveled to Lincoln to see (and buy) the IS I have now.  It's worth the journey if you want to make sure all of your boxes are ticked.

Yep as mentioned already, its not an SE-L

The strips on the door appear to be aftermarket add ons, as does the spoiler and the hideous stag at the back. As far as I can tell, you have 2 options, get them painted or take them off. These things are stuck on with glue so a hairdryer should soften it and they should just come off. HOWEVER, if you attempt to do this yourself, be careful, open all doors and ensure you start removing it from the opposite side to the edge of the door (this is so it doesn't dig into the paintwork on the other side)

Looks in pretty good nick all around though, the calipers look brand new and the rotors are very shiny (could be new)

For the model look at the sticker in the inner driver door area above the door locking catch - This states its an IS 250 SE

It looks in good condition like Rayaan has stated but for an SE that's too expensive. Shop around and you will find a good proper SE-L for that money (or less)

That is diffently not se-l, I had is220d se-l on 2006 had illuminated plates and had xenons too.they look cheap plastic nasty ones also had memory seats, I go with all its se not se-l, mistake in advert. Maybe slightly overpriced for se model but it was se-l it's good price

21 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Didn't realise the 250 came as a Auto and used the CVT gearbox. Is it similar to the 300H gearbox?

You mistaken it with 3IS 250, apparently for short time in 2013 3rd generation IS was available with same engine from 2nd generation IS250, cannot comment on gearbox, as it just says automatic and I would expect Lexus to use same auto gearbox as on 2nd gen rather than CTV.

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-IS/IS-250/2.5-Premier/London/3627526-605950865-1607080.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

On the same topic - the car in interest is not SE-i (just simple SE + leather seats option), as SE-i was only available from 2009, before front face lift. To start (2005-2008) with there were SE, SE-L and Sport, later SE-i was added and Sport was replaced with F-Sport together with introduction with L-Finesse tail lights and was available until 2nd facelift with DLRs, from 2011 SE was replaced with Advanced (the poorest trim of them all), after 2010 real SE-L were very rare (see for dark grey "stone like" wood interior) as SE-i eaten into SE-L market share.

On 10/10/2016 at 9:03 PM, Wisty said:

Second this.  I'm near Warrington and traveled to Lincoln to see (and buy) the IS I have now.  It's worth the journey if you want to make sure all of your boxes are ticked.

I live in Hampshire and bought my SE-L in Wolverhampton (and my BMW Z4M in Glasgow!)

Yeah I only want an SE-L and I only want ML + the touchscreen, sub 80k miles, ideally that "Cavandish Grey" colour? (is that the right name?), only want auto. And I only want to spend £6k max really. Don't care age.

Lexus Cheshire Oaks have a 2012 for sale I went to look/test drive it today but couldn't find the dealership, found it now on Google maps so going again tomorrow. The one they have seems very overpriced.

On 10/12/2016 at 6:35 PM, thesmileyone said:

Yeah I only want an SE-L and I only want ML + the touchscreen, sub 80k miles, ideally that "Cavandish Grey" colour? (is that the right name?), only want auto. And I only want to spend £6k max really. Don't care age.

My advise 1. - touchscreen on Lexus 2IS is rubbish as is the navigation, I won't spend 1 penny extra to have it. If it is there - fine, but it is not worth anything. 2. ML in 2IS is pointless, standard 2IS has 13 speakers, ML has 14 (one extra in center console, this by the way can as well be retrofitted in non-ML models). Now... that is true - ML has edge over standard set-up, but it is so little that again - if you have 2 cars you like for same price and one has ML and other doesn't - go for ML one, but if the difference is even like £500 ML simply not worth it.

All changes for 3IS, where standard model has 6, speakers, premium 8 and only ML has 15.

Check out autocars of Mansfield is250 se-l 2007,54k on clock, silver, £5750. It's real se-l spec. Cream leather,sat Nav with rev camera too. I'm sure u can get him to knock few pounds off @ no dodgy side strips on doors looool

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links