Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre recommendation LS430

I have an 04 / facelifted LS430... all four tyres are going to need replacing soon, anyone have any recommendations, please?

I currently have Michelin Super Sports all round.... - I find them pretty quiet on most surfaces.

Hi

I have 4 x Michelin Primacy 3s on my 2005 LS430  (245/45R18 100W).

I would highly recommend these tyres, much much quieter than the Dunlop sports that were on the car previously.

From time to time Michelin have offers of fuel vouchers if you buy a number of their tyres.

• Like 1

this post could not of come at a better time - i am look aswell as mine will need replacing soon - i currently have dunlops - have been looking on camskill and some of the ratings on cheapo are not bad - i was considering avon. Scotts post has made me think . . . .  . . .  . ...

On 11/10/2016 at 0:59 PM, cruisermark said:

this post could not of come at a better time - i am look aswell as mine will need replacing soon - i currently have dunlops - have been looking on camskill and some of the ratings on cheapo are not bad - i was considering avon. Scotts post has made me think . . . .  . . .  . ...

Have you brought your new tyres yet, - ro made a decision?  It's pretty tricky, given that apart from reviews, you can't buy before you try :D

I have the impression that Michelin produce some of the best tyres, so tempted to stick with them.  Just after the most quietest rubber with the least rolling resistance... I love the way the LS430 just rolls effortlessly on, so want to encourage this characteristic :)

The Michelin Primacy 3 MXV4 seem to be the most popular for the LS430 on the US forums.  Pirelli P7+ has good reviews also - although neither seem to be available in the UK.

A tyre good for one particular car doesn't necessarily seem a good choice for another, so reading reviews for tyres fitted on other cars doesn’t seem to carry much weight.

I am leaning towards going for these Primacy 3s: http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/primacy-3/245/45/R18/W/100/f?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3f%26width%3d245%26profile%3d45%26rim%3dR18%26speed%3dAny&tyre=30747711

Although BlackCircles have recommended this Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT 2. as being the quietest tyre in this size (245/45/18), from the db rating.  Although how this feels in practice might be a different story http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/dunlop/sp-sport-maxx-rt-2/245/45/R18/Y/100/f?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3f%26width%3d245%26profile%3d45%26rim%3d18%26speed%3dY%26reinfor

Right then for the hell of it and just to see I put the cheapest tyres from black circles I could buy on my ls430, "lets see how bad they can be"  

Well after sheepishly turning up at the tyre place and not getting any strange looks or comments even though I had been embarrassed and worried about turning up to buy the cheapest ones because everyone knows your meant to buy the most expensive tyres you can afford and lord help you if you buy anything but the big names dunlop, goodyear etc as of course you are going to at the 1st round about completely lose control and plough into the party of school children and end up with your beloved car wrapped around a tree.

I got back in the car and drove slowly and carefully out of the garage, turned left onto the main road.... and even managed to navigate a round about without any Starsky and Hutch action, I do think the road noise is a little higher but just a smidge they handle better than the last ones I had on there and even seem to stop in the rain.

Although I do intend to go out on a wet day down to a private road by myself to slam the brakes on to see what happens, better that than with the family in the car.

If this is my last post It has been a pleasure owning a lexus, reading and talking to all of you lovely people.

• Like 2

....  I thought tyres always came with decibel and grip ratings as standard and that should make comparisons easy ..........  maybe ........  until you get them on the road on your own car ......  but until then there is some science surrounding whatever it is you end up buying.

What make did you purchase in the end ?

Malc

Don't worry allan - i know how it feels

As you know i was looking recently aswell and the more i looked the more confusing it was - there was cheap tyres around £45 - £65 with very good fuel,grip and noise ratings - in the end i decided to go sort of mid range and bought a set of 4 Avon tyres- they have a very similar tread pattern to dunlop and some of the quiter tyres and they have been mentioned by some of the LOC owners. I also read they are quite supple and absorb road bumps well.

Have not fitted them yet as im going to get my alloys refurbed aswell. Once i fit them i will post back.

Ok guys - as you know I have a facelift LS430 and have always had this niggling problem - there was too much road feel through the steering - the steering would jolt when i went over a bump and it had a tendency to pull to the left - in my quest to find perfection i have had the track rod ends replaced and had it on the ramp through 2 different mechanics but could not get to the bottom of it - over the years I have just had to live with thinking it must be wear and tear in the suspension............................untill now !!!

I have just replaced the tyres with Avon ZZ5 and my god what a difference it has made. The ride is quite and smooth - the steering road feel/jolt over bumps has gone and the steering feels smooth and supple to turn. The pulling to the left has gone - its totally perfect again. The Avon Tyres are smooth. supple and forgiving over road bumps and imperfections - I am so happy. - i highly recommend the Avon Tyres and SO NOT reccommend the dunlop sport maxx for the LS430

I am happy and content and cant see what I would gain by changing car (which i was thinking of doing GS450H)

Now i need to give it good well deserved polish and get the exhaust tips chromed

Hope this is of some help to others when changing tyres. It can be so confusing when you start reading the ratings and reviews. I decided to go for a mid range tyre and i think i made the write choice

• Like 2

Great to hear that sorted your problem Mark :)

Tyre choice is hugely important on these cars from the many stories that I have read, (which is why I created this thread :) - the db ratings etc don't really mean much imho.

I still haven't replaced mine, as there's still a bit of life in them, but if I had to tomorrow, I'd personally probably go for Michelin Primacys..

It would be very interesting at a meet to have a little drive in a few LS430s to see how each compare with different tyres

• 2 months later...

Got my new tyres, I went for "Michelin Primacy 3 245/45/R18 W (100) XL reinforced".

I previously had Michelin Super Sport, which, were very quiet.  Only on one particular, short part of the M25 motorway (between J9 -> J8) were they noisey, - almost like a "ringing" sound - strange.  But whisper quiet everywhere else.

Primacy 3s are very similar - again, whisper quiet.. very happy with them. If anything, I would say they're quieter, by a small tadge, - on the same horrible bit of M25 mentioned above, they are slightly quieter at similar speeds.

So all in all - very, very happy with them - I would highly recommend them.

Not cheap, ATS quoted me £800 for 4 (inclusive).  I ordered them from Black Circles which cost me £570 for 4 (inclusive).  Funny really, given that ATS own Black Circles, and it was ATS who fitted them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it's not too late to make a suggestion.

So pleased was I with the 4 x Kumho tyres fitted to my Lotus instead of Yokohama that I fitted 4 x new Kumho tyres circa 3 years ago to my LS430 and although not a big annual mileage user, circa 15,000 miles later they are still in very good order with plenty of tread and grip.

I noticed the grip and braking immediately much better compared with the Goodyear Sports that preceded, and the prior tyres were still well within the legal limits.

From memory it was circa £80 per corner fitted and balanced so excellent value.

Highly recommend Kumho.

Have to thank Cruisermark for his recommendation of the Avon ZZ5 tyres given above.

Had two fitted to the front of my 85,000 mile LS430 2004 and like him the excessive road feel at low speed has gone. I was convinced some steering/suspension bushes needed renewing but the car passed MOTs and Lexus Guildford picked up nothing. The 15mph tram lining is cured and they are quiet which is important for this car.

The original Bridgestone Potenzas [Turanzas?] were in reasonable condition with 6mm and 4mm tread although the latter a little old from 2011.

Cost £104 each fitted from National website, 245 45 18 Y XL.

Have no idea how they will last but at my low mileage they will be out of date before out of tread.

Thanks again Mark

• Like 1