Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF worth it?

RichyRich

Anyone have experience of the RCF 5 litre V8? Seems the RC 200T at half the price is a good compromise or am I hugely mistaken?

Would like to think I might go for a Coupe one day and the RX is one I'd seriously consider

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Its a gorgeous looking car and that's probably about the only similarity between both models....they are worlds apart I would guess.

Having  seen both in the flesh the rear end of the RCF sets it apart from anything else on the road . ..I thought it was jaw dropping but I may have had showroom goggle vision.

It depends what you want in a coupe, having just come from an extremely rapid one if I was looking at something similar in the performance stakes to the RC200T I would look at the GT86 or the BRZ and save myself £10 grand....  

GT86 seems a bit under powered. I have the 300H so would want to see a significant change between performance in my next car. I am approaching 40 too so think mid life crisis plays a part in what I desire 😂

I struggled with the same issue so went with BMW as Lexus just don't have that mid market performance .It's one extreme to another.

So went and got a 135i coupe, 3 litre turbo, 300bhp blah blah and it scratched an itch for a while (until a month ago) . I now have the IS200t (so same engine as the RC200t) and its underwhelming in comparison (raw performance )but it suits me fine as I'm less likely to kill myself or accrue points

I'm not sure the 4 cylinder turbo would offer a significant change in performance for you from the IS300 h so its looks the RCF ...:wink3:

(Its a shame they cant drop the IS350 lump from the US into it - that would be a compromise)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Anyone have experience of the RCF 5 litre V8? Seems the RC 200T at half the price is a good compromise or am I hugely mistaken?

Would like to think I might go for a Coupe one day and the RX is one I'd seriously consider

Having driven both, they are extremely different. 

The 200t is a bit of a slouch in the RC because of the weight of the thing. Its heavier than the IS and feels more like a GS in terms of driving.

The RC-F is a great car, bit of a bargain if you buy used considering how much the prices have dropped from new. Its just raw. 

However, Ive also driven the GS-F and I know which one I would have! GS-F all day for me, just a better car in all departments IMO. It feels more polished and honed down and the chassis is better. Goes around corners better than the RC-F, brakes better than the RC-F and comes with the TVD as standard

Interesting. I did have a look inside the RCF in the showroom and wasn't hugely impressed with the cabin. Is the GS-F as sporty or is the RC not really a sports car but shaped like one?

I would go GSF. Performance is fractionally better on RCF but the difference is minimal and driver engagement might well mitigate the difference.

GSF is probably, in my opinion, worth the extra. 

I loved my '96 GS300 Sport owned for 6.5 years and my GS430 owned for 7.5 years but sold 12 months ago but now my mileage is minimal I am quite happy with driving wife's car which I bought her new at the end of 2009 and which has now done 29K miles. It is a Hyundai i30. For my current driving it covers the bases. I miss the power of the GS430 for overtaking but that is about all.

Lexus do not seem as good as they once were and I think they may be suffering from the "accountant syndrome" that affected BMW & Mercedes in the '90's. I expect I will get a slating for daring to express that opinion on this forum but that is my honest opinion.

I think my actual car of choice currently would be the new Nissan GTR for both looks and performance.

Well the RC-F cabin is quite cosy but the general dash etc is the same as the IS.....

The GS-F is bigger and better built and worth the extra (its not much more expensive if you take into account it has TVD and ACC as standard) 

Nissan GTR - meh maybe for the track but have you driven one on the road? Feels like riding around in a big box with 30" stone wheels on it. 

There's no beating a Porsche 911......

10 hours ago, RichyRich said:

All way too expensive to buy and run. Am now considering a weekend fun can like the RX8 R3. Thoughts?

You can pick up a decent 911 for £15k

Cant imagine there would be much difference between running costs of an RX-8 and a 911. The RX-8 is dire on fuel

All way too expensive to buy and run. Am now considering a weekend fun can like the RX8 R3. Thoughts?

Cant imagine there would be much difference between running costs of an RX-8 and a 911. The RX-8 is dire on fuel

Perhaps but can pick up a RX8 R3 for as little as 5k.

1 minute ago, RichyRich said:

Perhaps but can pick up a RX8 R3 for as little as 5k.

True but they're £515 to tax, do 17mpg on a good day and its not exactly quick at 6.4s. In fact, Im pretty sure the IS is faster in mid range acceleration (which is what normal driving is)

13 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

The fuel consumption is shocking I agree. What about the RC300h?

Well its pretty much the same as the IS, just slower and heavier with less seats and worse handling

The RC200T is probably a better bet.

You could also go for an IS-F, M3 or C63

Having owned 2 RX8's one 192 and my last 231.

The 231 is much better to the 192.

Oil consumption is a myth.... use good quality mineral oil in the engine and some good quality 2 stroke in your fuel every now and then.., I had mine for almost 2 yrs and I did not use more than 1lt of oil for 12.000miles

But again the oil use is purely down to how heavy right foot you have, the more abuse the engine gets the more oil the pump will use to lubricate the rotors.

With regards to the fuel consumpsion it is one of these strange cars... lol regardless how you drive it, it will burn a lot of fuel. I used to do 290miles from one fuel tank on mine.

Now the performance is another thing, it does not read fast on paper, but it is a light car. It is a front mid engined car, and handles really well. Engine sound is brilliant and the more you floor it... the better it gets. While the others cars are looking to change the gear... the RX8 has much more RPM to go just before 10k.

• Like 1

The IS300H is perfect for everyday and as accept that. I am looking for something to have some fun in and sounds like the RX8 can satisfy that. Is the 232 the R3 edition?

The fuel consumption is shocking I agree. What about the RC300h?

Well its pretty much the same as the IS, just slower and heavier with less seats and worse handling

The RC200T is probably a better bet.

You could also go for an IS-F, M3 or C63

So the RC300h is out. Not looking to blow a lot of money on this so the ISF, M3 or Merc is not really an option I'd say