Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Next Purchase?

Hi 

Just interested to found out from experienced hybrid IS owners if you have thought about what you plan to replace your Lexus with?

Would you stay with Lexus?  , Or go with another manufacturer for a plugin, full electric?, Or go back to a non electric vehicle,. etc...

Happy with Lexus, would go for another IS or if they did a hatchback or estate that was more comfortable than the CT (I miss the rear wash wipe). The NX and RX are too big. I would prefer a plug in hybrid but would never go back to petrol only, and I have never owned a diesel. I am not convinced that an all electric would have the range. There may be times when you unexpectedly need to do longer journeys. I wish Lexus would do a plug in hybrid. Most of my other cars have been Honda.

Would love another Lexus and feel they need to go full electric. I love my IS300H but the fuel economy isnt anywhere near the figures they quote. That aside Lexus all the way

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Initially had an IS300h for a couple of years and then changed to an NX. I think I'll hang onto it for 3-4 years and then look at an electric or plug in hybrid. The i3 tickles my fancy, but you never know what's coming in a couple of years..

I will stay with Lexus. I know the cars are not perfect, but the comfort, quality and Lexus customer experience more than compensates for that in my opinion. I also like the fact that the cars are less common than their German competitors.

After 2 RX, I will move to an NX as I no longer need the larger car, and although I love the new RX I find it a bit too big. I will also consider replacing our second car with a CT and join the two-Lexus household club!

EDIT

I would go for NX Premier, Sonic White (pearlescent), with panoramic roof and saddle tan interior, but would change the wheels to the Sport's of F-Sport's as I don't like the ones currently fitted to the Premier.

My recent car history is 2nd gen IS250, IS300h and for the last 12

months an NX300h. The latter two both F Sport. I don't ever see me returning to petrol only and only wish Lexus would go full EV. There's no chance of that in the foreseeable future so I'm afraid I will probably be waving goodbye to the brand, in favour of a Tesla Model S. Hopefully this will be in the next 6/9 months.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

There was half a chance our next car would have been a RX to complement the IS, but it's fully electric or nothing for us from now on. Our Tesla is due to arrive in early 2017, the original plan was to keep the IS till 2020ish, but I have a sneaky suspicion once my wife gets use to the Tesla she will call the shots on that every time (her complaints on the Leaf main extend to range/lack of gadgets which the Tesla deals with on both fronts with ease).....The IS isn't a bad car but I couldn't drive it day in day out, the throttle lag and engine noise ruins the car for me, especially if the other car we have access to is a full EV.....

Sadly I don't think the Tesla Model 3 will be available in the UK till 2019/2020 at the earliest, but I've always wanted to have a Jag on the drive way, we originally wanted a XF before ending up in the IS. With one kid here and potentially more on the way two larger cars might make sense too, I do like the build quality of our IS, but Lexus/Toyota's inability/reluctance to embrace EVs means our time with the brand will be rather short lived, so lets see what Jaguar can do with their EV attempt :)

jag-e-news-542.jpg?itok=rc4UU_xo

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/all-electric-jaguar-suv-spotted-testing-again

• Like 1

The 4th Gen RX for me. Built really well, IMO looks better than any other SUV out there and handles well enough for a 2 tonne SUV. Im not overly concerned about the MPG either but 30mpg is plenty. 

Wife will prob swap the IS after a few years for the new UX or the new CT when it comes out.

@ganzoom wow a Tesla! Which one you getting? I share your sentiments on the full EV lack of plans and feeling the IS is a little uninspiring only having had one for a few months.

@ganzoom wow a Tesla! Which one you getting? I share your sentiments on the full EV lack of plans and feeling the IS is a little uninspiring only having had one for a few months.

Great question for@ganzoom [emoji23][emoji23][emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Test drove a Tesla S 75 yesterday, very impressive but not at £56,000.  Will wait and see if the Model 3 will stay at $ 35,000 And what the exchange rate will be in 2018 when they are due in this country.  Also tested a BMW 330e last month, and this is what I wish the IS350h would be like. Plug in with about 35 miles range, a 7 speed box, not CVT, so smooth to drive, quiet I'd have one except my wife wants a 2017 FSport IS, so,we will see....

9 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Ordered a Model X, makes even the S feel outdated. 

28756501584_5600a576ff_z_d.jpg 

for me to buy an EV it would have to have the range of the tesla but i dont think i could afford one

any other EV just isn't worth having because of the range

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 200h said:

for me to buy an EV it would have to have the range of the tesla but i dont think i could afford one

any other EV just isn't worth having because of the range

The Tesla is costing us more than double what we have spent on any car before, but both me and the wife have been bitten by the EV bug.

Cheaper EVs with a similar range is coming, the Chevy Bolt is about to go on sale in the US. $30k, 0-60 7 seconds, 5 seats, real life range of well over 200 miles.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/10/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-goes-240-miles-with-range-to-spare/

Jag/Audi EVs will both be on the market in next 24 months, I've been a petrol head for as long as I can remember, but EVs are by far the most exciting development to hit the automotive industry ever. Just a shame Lexus are been left behind. Toyota will be heading the way of Nokia if they don't start getting involved soon.

Sales figures speak for themselves in regards to what consumers want.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-12/tesla-dominates-u-s-luxury-sedan-sales

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that lots in this forum think Lexus/Toyota will get left behind on EV technology. Bearing in mind what they spend on R&D each year and how they were first to the party with Hybrids and how they stayed away from diesel. They don't look so silly now with dieselgate. I'd be shocked if they have not secretly been working on EV vehicles or a much better hybrid system. Give it 3-5 years and see what they launch. The next generation IS and GS will tell a lot. If Lexus launched a full EV vehicle now I don't believe they could make money on it as the market is still too small.

• Like 1

^ Toyota have been investing in hydrogen fuel cell cars instead of Battery EVs. In short they have backed the wrong horse, and the sooner they admit their mistake and move on to Battery EVs the better. 

Tesla have 400k+ of preorders on the Model 3, that's on a car with no firm price, performance spec, and no confirmed final design. Sales of the S is annihilating other cars in the same bracket in the US, that's with petrol prices at a current all time low. I would love Lexus to do a full Battery EV, and will be more than willing to spend £60-70k on one, but I cannot see a Lexus EV appearing anything soon :(.

Tesla have done an amazing job at brand building and generating buzz. Many of those orders are people trying to be part of the new trendy exclusive brand. I appreciate the technology is also impressive along with the performance. However if another car maker launched a full EV for 70k they'd sell very little as the Tesla brand is their biggest selling point. Take the Tesla and put another badge on it and I bet it won't sell as many. Tesla is now more a brand than a manufacturer. An impressive one at that.

^ Actually I disagree, can you find another car manufacturer producting a car with the features of the Model X or S. Musk by his own admission have said they have tried to cram too much tech into the X. I have no brand loyalty at all, my last few cars have been a BMW, Nissan,  Honda. But as a consumer wanting an EV that fits my needs the only manufacturer in town that can deliver is Tesla. 

I can bet a Tesla with a BMW or Audi badge will sell much better. At a recent wedding I went to the majority of people there (all professionals) haven't even heard of Tesla....Bizzarly nearly everyone one had heard about the Leaf. Though one guy thought it was some supped version of a GTR!! 

mine is up for a change in 1.5 yrs and the automobile landscape can look completely different than now with all the EVś in the pipeline.

not sure if i will stay with Lexus as i want a small SUV but the NX is too feminine for me and the RX too big. I would prefer a full EV but i do need a range of 500kms min.

I like the new Audi Q5 guess in 1.5 yrs this will be available with hybrid ( but i prefer 100% EV). maybe the new BMW I5??

time will tell

12 hours ago, ganzoom said:

^ Toyota have been investing in hydrogen fuel cell cars instead of battery EVs. In short they have backed the wrong horse, and the sooner they admit their mistake and move on to battery EVs the better. 

Tesla have 400k+ of preorders on the Model 3, that's on a car with no firm price, performance spec, and no confirmed final design. Sales of the S is annihilating other cars in the same bracket in the US, that's with petrol prices at a current all time low. I would love Lexus to do a full battery EV, and will be more than willing to spend £60-70k on one, but I cannot see a Lexus EV appearing anything soon :(.

Whilst the 400K of pre-orders is impressive, digging deeper, it seems Tesla has taken deposit money as working capital, a company that is barely making mney and has had so much government grants and investments. selling loads of cars more than other luxury manufacturers at a certain loss per car is not sustainable. The supposed saviour for them is the Gigafactory, this will be make or break for them. When it's complete, is lithium Battery technology still the cutting edge ??  Musk is cutting this fine.. In certain aspects he can be applauded for bringing EV to the fore, but on the otherhand he has been too arrogant in his dismissal of other car manufacturers.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/04/21/400000-people-pre-ordered-tesla-model-3-now-wait-years/

My bet is that Tesla will not meet all the pre-orders and most orders will not come at USD35K ( will be more), the company will need to issue more stock or be taken over by a Chinese company.. and by 2019 most manufacturers with have their competeing products, better Battery on the market rendering Lithium ION obsolete rendedering telsa just another manufacturer. This is how dismmisive I am of Tesla, (that is how Musk treated Toyota (when they parted ways after jointly worked on an EV RAV4.), and referring to Fuel Cell as Fool Cell. I have no idea if FC will also be oart if the future, I just think Toyota choose to publicise their FC efforts loudly as with Hyundai, whist privately also working on EV.  I seriously think Toyota have something more up their sleeves.

Back on topic,

This is my 2nd Lexus, but my next car could be something like BMW especially the 330e, so in 2-3 years Lexus will need  to have something compelling, a turbo petrol hybrid  paired with normal gears ( if not the multistage system of the LC500)

@mpls Exactly what better Battery tech are you thinking of that will superceded lithium-ion. Sony bought the first commercial Lithium ion batteries to market in the early 1990's, its taken this long to reduce costs to make them viable in EV use. All the new Battery tech you see in the press are still at the experimental stage most are 20 years+ from production. And why do we need new Battery tech, the Panasonic cells Tesla use are already at 100kWh with another 10-15% in charge capacity to come just by changing form factor. That's a real life range of 300-400 miles already. Lithium-ion will be with us for the next 20 years, the tech is good enough already its simply a matter of reducing cost. 

But its not just Tesla working on EVs. LG have now started to build their own 'gigafactory' to supply Audi/Jag. BYD in china already sell more EVs than the rest of the world combined, they are busy upping their Battery supply capacity. 

The point is battery EVs are fundamentally different from the hybrids Toyota are building now. Toyota don't even use lithium-ion packs, instead still stuck with outdated NiHm packs. If Toyota are serious about Battery EVs they need to be developing them NOW, not wait till everyone else have them and the sales start to fall of a cliff. 

... The turbo hybrid you want for your next car, I will bet everything I own it will run on lithium-ion tech, and if you want one before 2018 it certainly wouldn't have a Toyota or Lexus badge on.