Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Next Purchase?

Ganzoom no one is actually disagreeing that EV technology is coming. It's been here for years. Remember milk floats!! We are just sick of hearing about Tesla on the Lexus forum. I don't believe EV is the ONLY future solution but will no doubt form an important part of the future.

19 hours ago, Eire Lexus said:

Back on topic, hoping to change to a new GS300h in early 2017 from my current IS300h.

I did that move and if you like the IS300H you will love the GS300H.  It is another level up in build quality and refinement.  The engine is pretty much inaudible and I am getting a consistent 45 mpg with normal driving and I am not a slow driver. Luxury spec has all the toys as standard.  Heated cooled leather electricly adjustable seats, blind spot warning. reverse camera front & rear parking sensors LED interior lights, ambient lighting in doors. The standard non ML stereo sounds better to. It doesnt support Album Art from the USB or have Gracenote though.

Good Luck.

Ed:yes:

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Eire Lexus said:

£81k for a model x what a waste of money.

Tesla are an up and coming company and what they are doing is interesting & exciting.  They are still experimenting and for most not a viable alternative to a ice car.

Anyone who is prepared to spend upwards of £60k on one is brave to say the least.

I would rather something more reliable, better made & more developed. The doors on the Model X are pointless over engineered and will quite likely always be unreliable. Why not normal open & close doors which work?

£60k would give you a choice of some superb cars. 

I was on the M40 last week in a traffic jam and there was a Model S on the shoulder about to be winched onto a recovery truck. Maybe just out of electric as the traffic had been crawling along for ages.

Ed:whistling:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capese21 said:

Anyone who is prepared to spend upwards of £60k on one is brave to say the least

Or a fool :wink3:

I've wasted money on some dead end tech before, MiniDiscs and HDDVD come to mind!! But after doing 11k miles in the last 18month in a Nissan Leaf with essentially no issues/worries I'm 100% convinced Battery EVs are the future. 

The Tesla is ridiculously expensive, but cars are a passion for me, having owned/driven the best combustion cars around I can honestly say I wouldn't swap the Leaf for any combustion car. 

For me within 100 yards of driving the Leaf I lost all interest in combustion cars..... After the Leaf test drive I sat there in my near 400bhp 3L twinturbo BMW that I had just spent ££££ on having the injectors cleaned and thought to my self 'Why on earth are we still driving these things'. I signed up to the Leaf the next day and the BMW was sold a week later. 

My frustration with Lexus/Toyota is simply because out of all the current manufacturers developing EVs none would have as much chance of producing a rival to Tesla as Toyota, but yet all Toyota do is continue to push hydrogen fuel cell cars. 

If Lexus did a Battery EV version of the IS I would buy one without a second thought. I look forwards to the day when Lexus do come out with a Battery EV. 

For those of you who just don't get what am on about,  have a read of this blog, its written by the chap who originally founded the pistonheads website, so as a big petrolhead nut as you can get...

His opening line sums it up

'Our toys are budding museum pieces - enjoy the moment'

https://www.blatters.com/mag/the-end-is-nigh/55c9cb540d4369a64a8b464b

I think it's you that doesn't get what everyone in this thread is about. I doubt anyone buying a hybrid now won't buy an EV eventually. The problem is that you are making assumptions (Toyota focuses on hydrogen cell cars only and doesn't do anything with EV), give a car which is overpriced and not worth the price IMO as an example of how it should be (Tesla) and call one of the most progressive series of cars old fashioned (Lexus hybrids).

3 hours ago, ganzoom said:

But after doing 11k miles in the last 18month in a Nissan Leaf with essentially no issues/worries I'm 100% convinced battery EVs are the future. 

I have done 3 times that in a Lexus with no issues or worries either.   Battery EV`s probably are the future but at present the Nissan leaf or its ilks is not it imho.Tesla will pioneer it but it will take a large established manufacturer to refine it. As you posted the Kodak story they pioneered digital cameras but it took Canon & Nikon to make a success of them.

I am going to wait a few years!!

1 hour ago, capese21 said:

I have done 3 times that in a Lexus with no issues or worries either.   Battery EV`s probably are the future but at present the Nissan leaf or its ilks is not it imho.Tesla will pioneer it but it will take a large established manufacturer to refine it. As you posted the Kodak story they pioneered digital cameras but it took Canon & Nikon to make a success of them.

I am going to wait a few years!!

I think Lexus will defo come out with an EV eventually.  

However we have to understand that Lexus WILL be the last to get on the wagon. They'll have tested it thoroughly to ensure its up to their reliability standard.

Theyve been the last to bring out a 4 cylinder turbo, probably will be the last to bring out a V6 turbo, the last premium manufacturer to keep a naturally aspirated V8 engine and most probably the last to have an EV model

10 hours ago, capese21 said:

I have done 3 times that in a Lexus with no issues or worries either.  

If I was doing 20K a year I would be getting a Tesla in a heartbeat. I persume alot of business miles?? 

Fuel costs on any EV is not more than 3-4p per mile, I now charge my Leaf 100% at home its working out at 2p per mile, total electricity used for car charging has been £216 to cover 10800 miles. Just switched to E7 meter which will drop that to 1.5p per mile!!! Even if you don't bother with E7 do some on the road charging using free Tesla supercharger you can get that down to way below 2p a mile. 

100% tax allowance in first year if your a business owner,  45p / per 10k mile than 25p/mile for business miles claimable as per HMRC guidance. For calculations sake lets call it 5p per mile for electricity costs. 

20k miles you should be claiming back £6k after 'fuel' costs are taken into account. In effect the government will be paying you £6k to drive a Tesla. 

Forget everything else financially why wouldn't you choose a car that generates you income?? Don't forget you don't even need to service the thing, so electricity and tyres are your only maintenance costs. 

My biggest issue is actually keeping the miles off the Leaf. Its so cheap to drive we've gone way over our normal usage patterns. As a result in another 3000 miles i'll hit my PCP limit but still have another 6 months to run. 

Iam strugling a bit here Ganzoom, how is it working out cheaper to drive a model x compared to say a 2016 RX450h? the cheapest slowest model x has a £70000  price tag the cheapest RX450h cost around £50000 thats a 20k difference even if the government reimburses you £6k its still not enough to make the tesla a cheaper car to run over 3 or 5 year period compared to the RX. i see it like this, if i am lucky enough to be able to afford a £70000 car running costs will surely not bother me.. 

3 hours ago, noby76 said:

Iam strugling a bit here Ganzoom, how is it working out cheaper to drive a model x compared to say a 2016 RX450h? the cheapest slowest model x has a £70000  price tag the cheapest RX450h cost around £50000 thats a 20k difference even if the government reimburses you £6k its still not enough to make the tesla a cheaper car to run over 3 or 5 year period compared to the RX. i see it like this, if i am lucky enough to be able to afford a £70000 car running costs will surely not bother me.. 

Financially it does make sense as Tesla has a 100% taxable allowance due to being an extremely low emission vehicle. Therefore you practically dont pay tax on the full price of the car. Essentially if its £70k you put down, the car will only cost you £56k after the first year and thats not including any government grants.

The problem is that there's also a vehicle costing £65k fully loaded that can benefit from the 100% allowance and thats the Volvo XC90 T8 and its hard to beat one of them IMO.

• Like 1

The OP kicked off a heck of a thread here [emoji4]. I'm afraid the 12% on Marmite and Typhoo tea price rise announcement have proven to be the straws that broke the camels back and I've ordered a Tesla Model S.

A 3rd and extended test drive on Saturday confirmed it for me. It is an astonishing piece of machinery/technology and I'm not waiting for the rest of the market to catch up. I readily accept the build quality is not at Lexus standards and I will have to cope with no jacket hook or vanity mirror light [emoji4]

I've thoroughly enjoyed my 8 years of Lexus ownership, 2nd & 3rd gen IS's and currently an NX300h, which IMO is a superb car.

It's a crazy amount of money to spend on a car but YOLO as my daughters would say [emoji4]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Much improved since this year old report, although you could perhaps replace the S with an X. Can doors be an Achilles Heel? [emoji5]

15 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

At least the Tesla driver was thoughtful enough to put the hazard warning lights on :laugh:

@DJP Am just a tad jealous your likely get your Tesla before me. Agree about the IS/NX been fab cars. Drove ours again last night, really cannot fault it..... But once you get use to full EV driving there is no going back . 

I suspect we'll probably be keeping the IS alot longer than most, its mainly my wifes car, her last car was a Civic that was kept for nearly 8 years from new. I would hope by 2022 there will be a whole range of EVs for us to choose from to replace the IS with, who knows maybe it might even have a Lexus badge on :). 

Keep us informed of your Tesla experiences when you get them. I am sure a lot of members would be considering a Tesla if the costs made sense.

Thanks Paul, I will. I halved my petrol costs when I switched from the IS250 to the IS300h, and using economy 7 and the occasional Supercharger my 'fuel' costs will substantially reduced again.

However, when you factor in the cost of the car it makes no sense at all, even when employing degree level man maths [emoji23].

For me, it's the whole package that sets the car apart from anything else on the road and I just fancy being a part of that. No doubt I'm paying a premium but hey ho, can't take it with me [emoji15]

• Like 1

So it looks like Toyota might finally be seeing the light. Mirai has only sold less than 800 in 12 months despite all the money wasted in setting up fuel stations and heavy discounts.  

So we might see a Battery EV Lexus at some point :) 

https://electrek.co/2016/11/07/toyota-long-range-battery-powered-electric-cars-2020-hydrogen-fuel-cells-failing/

They probably read this thread and took your amazing advice Ganzoom

Of course Toyota had EV R&D they are not stupid. They have Hybrid, Hydrogen and EV technology. Looks like a great future proof business strategy.

i nearly became excited with ex until i read the range of 186 miles i need a car with the range i get from a tank of petrol

at a reasonable price before i would consider an ev vehicle.

i nearly became excited with ex until i read the range of 186 miles i need a car with the range i get from a tank of petrol

at a reasonable price before i would consider an ev vehicle.

I really don't want to send this thread on another EV trip [emoji6], but do you really need that range on a daily basis? Some do for sure, or need a full tank for emergencies or last minute change of plans, but I'd venture to suggest that's not the driving pattern for the most of us. I analysed my driving carefully and hardly ever do more than 100 miles a day, never mind nearly 200. With a home charger you can start each morning with a full tank of leccy. On the odd occasion I need more range charging points are available.

We are all different of course, but a change of mindset worked for me. YMMV of course. [emoji4]

• Like 1